Why become a member? ×

markbass cab dilemma

leroydiamond

I have been using a little mark 11amp with a 2*10 traveller cab. It is a fine set up for gigs where P.A. is in use but for smaller pub gigs where only vocal is supported by P.A.,the bass set up does not produce enough low end.So I am considering purchasing a 1*15 traveller cab to use with my 2*10 giving me a 500 watt system. Is this a good idea or should I go for a 1 cab solution from barefaced, Vanderkley, Bergantino, etc (portability is an issue). Unfortunately because of my location I will not get the opportunity to test out a variety of cabs, so any opinions out there will be very welcome

I had this setup and went for a pair of 2 x 10 traveller cabs. I'd recommend that setup as opposed to a 1 x 15 which I also had.

if you stack the pair of 2 x 10 on their sides it has the added benefit of getting the sound up closer to your ears.

(A single traveller 2 x 10 is surprisingly loud if you listen from out front.)

Frank.

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I'd get a Standard 102HF. A second 210 will sound better and as the 102 is much bigger it will go louder and much lower. The bass end will be fine. You might even be able to use the 102 on its own more than the traveller cab.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=Arial] [/font][/size][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font]

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1320065786' post='1421739']
I had this setup and went for a pair of 2 x 10 traveller cabs. I'd recommend that setup as opposed to a 1 x 15 which I also had.

if you stack the pair of 2 x 10 on their sides it has the added benefit of getting the sound up closer to your ears.

(A single traveller 2 x 10 is surprisingly loud if you listen from out front.)

Frank.
[/quote]
For sure the 2*10 traveler packs a punch for its size. I just want to grab a little more low end than the cab has to offer, so thats what prompted thoughts regarding a markbass 1*15. Did you find using the two 2*10 cabs generated a little more low end?. why do you find this set up superior to using the 1*15?
thanks for your response

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1320066303' post='1421757']
[font=Arial]I'd get a Standard 102HF. A second 210 will sound better and as the 102 is much bigger it will go louder and much lower. The bass end will be fine. You might even be able to use the 102 on its own more than the traveller cab.[/font]

[/quote]

This may well be a good option. Thanks

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1320069298' post='1421827']
I use two Mark Bass 2 x 10" cabs. Been very happy with the performance, certainly bassy enough. Versatile set up. For quieter gigs and rehearsals I just take one of them.
[/quote]
are your cabs the traveller or standard series
thanks

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1320066351' post='1421759']
For sure the 2*10 traveler packs a punch for its size. I just want to grab a little more low end than the cab has to offer, so thats what prompted thoughts regarding a markbass 1*15. Did you find using the two 2*10 cabs generated a little more low end?. why do you find this set up superior to using the 1*15?
thanks for your response
[/quote]

I don't think you'll get more bottom end by adding a 15" traveller cab. If anything, the 2 x 10 seems marginally fuller. And it's best to use two cabs the same.

If you want to go deeper, I think you're going to have to go for bigger boxes. Some good advice above regarding the Markbass standard 2 x 10 too. That would be a better option if you're looking for more bottom end.

Then again, if you want massive lows you could look at the Barefaced range. There's bound to be something there to suit you. And they are great value for your money.

Frank.

Well Barefaced certainly have the low end, but I`ve seen and heard many bassists using Markbass gear in pubs etc, and have always been very impressed with their tone - and I`m one of the "I play bass, not treble" brigade. You should be ok pairing up another Markbass cab.

If it`s a case of not being able to try many cabs, and having to buy on-line, why not call The Bass Merchant - when I was looking for a cab they were incredibly helpful, and were happy to spend a good while on the phone, discussing their range, to make sure I was satisfied with the cab I eventually bought from them. Very impressed with both their service, and product knowledge.

http://www.bassmerchant.com/index.php

Can i be controversial? I tried the MarkBass cabs but ended up using TC Electronics because i found i got a bigger but tighter sound using a TC 2 X10 and 2 x 12 as compared to 2 MarkBass 2 x 10 cabs. It could have been the room or other factors but i haven't been dissapointed. Funny enough i did a gig recently where the backline was an LM II and 4 x 10 MarkBass cab and found the same thing applied. It was brilliant at mid range stuff but didn't seem as full or transparent as the TC stuff. As with all things sound though it is subjective.

Hi Leroy i use a markbass 2x10 combo and neaded more bottom end so i tried just about every cab available and settled for a markbass 151 hf and cannot believe how good this sound is i also have a ampeg stack a ashdown stack and a peavey combo but the markbass tops the lot. Good luck with the search for the right cab cheers mate

[quote name='HADGE' timestamp='1320092214' post='1422288']
Hi Leroy i use a markbass 2x10 combo and neaded more bottom end so i tried just about every cab available and settled for a markbass 151 hf and cannot believe how good this sound is i also have a ampeg stack a ashdown stack and a peavey combo but the markbass tops the lot. Good luck with the search for the right cab cheers mate
[/quote]

Yea the Markbass gear certainly rocks. thanks for your response