Why become a member? ×

Strings to fit 36 scale five string.

jayblaze

Hello finger popping friends, don't suppose anyone knows what brands make strings that fit a 36 scale basses?. I've been using overwater strings but I told like to try another brand as the overwaters don't always seem to be that bright right front the packet. I know ddaddario make assets that are super long but other than that I'm stumped? Cheers

I think I used Elites back when I had a 36" Overwater Progress. If it were me now, I'd use D'Addarios as I find them consistent and good value. If you want something brighter, I suggest Pro Steels.

I guess that doesn't answer your question about other options but that's my tuppence worth.

Overwater used to make up customs sets although this would take longer for your order to come through - give them a call and see what the situation is now.

Alternatively you could try [url=http://circlekstrings.com/store/index.html]Circle K Strings[/url] who do strings up to 39.5" scale for the [url=http://www.knuckleguitarworks.com/]Knuckle Quake bass[/url].

To be honest I'd have thought most long scale strings would fit. I'm currently using, and enjoying R. Cocco strings, they seem plenty long enough.

One thing I've got to say. I've been using Overwater nickels for a couple of years now. The last two sets I've had though, the low B has been dead from the minute I've got it out of the packet. Same goes for the last two sets of Status strings too.

[quote name='Soliloquy' timestamp='1319998406' post='1421077']
To be honest I'd have thought most long scale strings would fit. I'm currently using, and enjoying R. Cocco strings, they seem plenty long enough.
[/quote]
Long scale (34") are only going to be OK provided they don't have silk wraps on the machine head ends of the strings. I know from bitter experience (and a wasted set of strings that didn't fit).

I'm pretty sure on my 36" strung-through-bridge bass I had Elixir strings which just about fit. The G string was OK by virtue of the fact that the machine head for that string was on the opposite side of the headstock parallel with the A string (like a MM bass)

My ex was a Carvin XB75: 35.25" scale length.

No 'standard' strings were long enough as she was strung through her body and the B string used to cross the nut after it'd started to taper back to the core.

I used to string her with the extra long elixirs: not to everyone's taste, and quite expensive, but if you want 'bright' they've got it...

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1320149166' post='1422846']
Take into account whether your bass is through body strung or not and allow the extra length to go through the body... I've been caught out on that one...
[/quote]

i was stupid enough to get caught out by this twice in a row :)