Why become a member? ×

Just like a Jazz?

xgsjx

OK, silly question to some.

But why do companies like Sadowsky, Nordy, Sandberg & so on make Jazz copies & say they sound "Just like a Jazz" when you can buy a Fender Jazz that sounds "Just like a Jazz" for about 1/2 the price (or less) & the punters won't think you couldn't afford a proper Fender?

I can understand the basses that sound "Just like a Jazz" but don't look "Just like a Jazz", such as the Ritter Cora. I like the sound of a Jazz (and the Precision), but I don't like the Fender body designs.

Very interesting point there. Reminds me of an interview I read with Paul Stanley, of KISS. His guitar tech turned up at the studio, and said, hey Paul theres this new thing out that sounds like a Les Paul through a Marshall, do you want one. Paul replied, no thanks, I`ve already got one. The tech enquired how come, as they were only just being released, and what was it called then, hoping to call his bluff. Paul Stanley replied, it`s called a Les Paul and a Marshall.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1319630367' post='1416583']The truth is that Fender don't do Fender that well! Sadowsky et al take the basic idea and look and execute it a he'll of a lot better than the original...![/quote]
I don't know about that. I think Fender still do Fender better than anyone,but makers like Sadowsky enhance it.
A Sadowsky doesn't really sound like Fender because of its famed preamp,but what it does is it gives a more
'refined' and 'modern' version of the Fender sound (As far as I'm concerned,of course).As a passive instrument
though,I think Fender still do it great.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1319630367' post='1416583']
The truth is that Fender don't do Fender that well! Sadowsky et al take the basic idea / look and execute it a he'll of a lot better than the original...!
[/quote]

I think I'll have to disagree.. It's based on the a point of reference, it's seen a benchmark like an SM58.. People say Fender Jazz or P so people get an idea of the type of sound... I think Sadowsky sound very nice, but they are not fenders.. I wouldn't buy a Sadowsky because I want fender that's better, because it isn't. I'd buy Sadowsky because I like it or fender because I like that bass.

Really Sadowsky should have made up there own name.. Funny stingrays, sterlings and Rickenbackers don't seem to have this problem

I suppose that there are only so many body shapes that are comfortable / well-balanced / good-looking / immediately recognisable / familiar etc.
And the rough "Jazz" shape fits the bill for a lot of the people a lot of the time. For that reason it's a logical starting point for a lot of bass manufacturers when deciding on or developing a body shape.
A good Fender is still a super instrument, and the current American standards are good examples of the breed.

[quote name='algmusic' timestamp='1319630921' post='1416595']

Really Sadowsky should have made up there own name.. Funny stingrays, sterlings and Rickenbackers don't seem to have this problem
[/quote]

They have their own issues. Or rather Mssrs Ball and Hall seem to, which can only really detract from the brand.

[quote name='algmusic' timestamp='1319630921' post='1416595']

I think I'll have to disagree.. It's based on the a point of reference, it's seen a benchmark like an SM58.. People say Fender Jazz or P so people get an idea of the type of sound... I think Sadowsky sound very nice, but they are not fenders.. I wouldn't buy a Sadowsky because I want fender that's better, because it isn't. I'd buy Sadowsky because I like it or fender because I like that bass.

[/quote]
I agree that a Fender Jazz or P is certainly a reference sound and they are design classics, but I would still say that many other builders do 'Fender' better than the original (having owned a few at various times).

A lot of people want something with a Fender look and feel, but want it to be better built and perhaps have the option of a more 'refined' and 'modern' version of the Fender sound, to quote Doddy.

There is still a certain appeal to a Fender and I must confess that I have succombed and bought a rather beautifull looking s/h US jazz recently - but it has cost me a fair bit of time and money to get it to play and sound anything like as well as my other basses!