Why become a member? ×

a 3 string you say?

Nyl

So, after several skint months i figured out that i wasn't skint this month, hurray and much rejoicing, but then..GAS!

I couldn't really justify a new bass having just got one in September, and not really in the mood for a guitar my wandering eyes were cast to the pedal board..hmm, maybe a distortion, and then i realised what i wanted was a little project to occupy my mind, the new distortion moved to the back burner an idea for a build was starting to form.....CIGAR BOX GUITAR!

oh yeah baby, now i'm yokel! So got all the bit at the weekend and been busy carving and assembling, its been pretty fun, made a few little mistakes here and there but the build was going well until....dun, dun duuuun Frets! what a bleeding pain in the arse they are.

anyway i guess i'm about halfway through, i'll post some piccies when done

I thought you were going down the same route as Tony Levin's infamous (and cremated) Stingray "3"...
I have a Hohner B2Av that's only running 3. It's strung on alternate saddles (Huuuuge spacing) and the centre 3 slots at the head.
If it plays hell with the intonation, I've not noticed particularly. It's tuned EAD and my 8 year-old daughter loves it (although recently she's taken to stealing my Ovation)

Meanwhile, back on topic...

I was talking to a (punk) friend of mine recently who told me of a friend of his who was in a Studio recording with his two string bass (both "E"s). The producer asked him why he had two strings to which he replied "in case one breaks"...I kid you not!

yeah its all good fun, was watching a few pedal reviews on youtube and saw a sandberg 2 string some german fella had, fun times.
Now if only that hadn't driven me to browse the sandberg site...luuuuvly gear.

i've been thinking of playing with tunings, and setting up a bass with something a little exotic, but all E's, i know Lou Reed did something like with on guitar, but i can't see it myself, not sure what string/tuning will be going on this one either yet

anyhoo back on topic, finally got my fret technique sorted and all frets are in (if they stay there is another thing altogether), so machine heads and neck shaping now...and i wonder if you're meant to varnish/laquor/polish...do something to the neck when done...more lunch time internet browsing