Why become a member? ×

There's a hole in my Jazz Bass...

Dom in Dorset

Nails/screws were what they used to drill into the front of the body so as they could flip it over and shoot nitro. Nitro, supposedly, needs to be, or is best applied, when the body is lying flat.

I detest the large holes, esp that God-awful rout from the front pup down to the cavity. How long would it take to set down the router and take a drill with a right-angled drill attachment and keep it all nice and tidy?

Edited by Stacker

Surely the CNC would locate on the back surface to allow machining tools to have unrestricted movement across the surface.
With regards that trench from the pick up to the control area I've never seen that before on even the cheapest of basses. I expect cabling to be installed through the body wood from the pick up slot to the control area.

CHEAP - very CHEAP !!!!

Although i like my scrathplate on my Geddy bass i nearly always removed them form my other Fenders over the years. I'll need to watch out for this if i decide to buy another Fender.

Dave

• 10 years later...

So does anybody know if they changed the machines at Corona or if they actually now make a lot of the body blanks in Mexico and reverse Highway1 them; as they have changed to no longer saying made in America, just have Corona California on them instead,  ostensibly because of the difficulty in backing that up to satisfy the state's legal definition, so they are just assembled in America for the large part ? 

Surely some of the Americans who hang out here occasionally have an friend in the factory who will tell it how it is ?

On 27/08/2022 at 18:20, Tokalo said:

It’s still happening…

This is on a MIM jazz from 2019

412466E6-622D-44F4-BC2D-4C6E2776E8BC.jpeg

Fender were just way ahead of their time. A nice little hiding spot to keep a GPS chip so you can locate a stolen bass! 😂

Edited by skej21
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

So does anybody know if they changed the machines at Corona or if they actually now make a lot of the body blanks in Mexico and reverse Highway1 them; as they have changed to no longer saying made in America, just have Corona California on them instead,  ostensibly because of the difficulty in backing that up to satisfy the state's legal definition, so they are just assembled in America for the large part ? 

Surely some of the Americans who hang out here occasionally have an friend in the factory who will tell it how it is ?

Yes it is a tiny place. They all know the president and see him everyday.

sarcasm aside, I recall talking to an American lady who had heard England was small and was totally convinced that we all

personally knew the queen 

Given talkbass' vast membership there must be people who work at Fender on there I would have thought, so I just thought there might be some cross over of members on here who know more about what goes on across the pond, like happened with the what's going on with MESA thread last year. I haven't been on here for over a month I had forgotten it can be just a place to pommy whinge and or be sarcastic/clever/amusing/show off

On 28/08/2022 at 12:47, Aidan63 said:

You are correct. I found a thread with this comment:

“It is there on purpose...According to Jeff Beilke from Fender, "That [hole] is indeed a byproduct of the routing machines utilized in our Mexico factory. I believe that's where the CNC machine actually holds the body in place in order to assure the correct cut.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/mystery-hole-under-pickguard.1569035/

• Thanks 1