Why become a member? ×

Which TC Electronic head?

The Dark Lord

I have two TC Electronic cabs - the RS210 and the RS112. The are expensive(ish) but really high quality stuff. Build quality is 1st class. I love 'em. I presently use an Ashdown Superfly through them for normal-sized gigs. I'm planning to buy a TC Electronic Rebelhead to go with the cabs. Which one would you advise? 450, 750, Staccato or Classic? Will I be okay using the 750 through that pair of cabs? Or should I limit myself to the 450? Is there any benefit to the Staccato over the 450. I'm after a punchy rock sound mostly pick-played - using a Fender USA Precision on full-bore. Don't do slap. Price is not an issue.

Meh, none of TCE's heads do their rated power output anyway, so I wouldn't worry about buying one that is 'too much' for your cabs.

To be more helpful, I love the sound of the classic, and that would get my vote based on what you've stated as far as your sound preferences. I've only tried it at shop volumes though, so can't comment on reliability/volume/longevity etc. Personally, I'd go for a Markbass head. The rocker is possibly my fave smaller amp ever (although a tad more expensive that the TC heads or the LittleMark) , and is definitely the one I'm going for if I ever decide to leave my GK. And hey, at least you'll be giving your money that tells the truth about it's products.

From the TC range, I`ve only used the Classic, and, irrespective about the power claims/actuals, it was a great amp, and plenty loud enough. In a punk band, with 2 gtrs, I never needed it on more than 4 on volume, when hooked up to 2 Ampeg cabs (410 & 210). The Spectracomp and Tubetone are great features, that can really generate a variety of sounds. I too am a Precision player, using a pick, and got some great Ampeg type tones from the Classic. Very versatile little amp.

RH750, i just got one and i love it, i have tried the rh450( not the classic though) which is great but even at low volumes the 750 seems to have more weight to it, and better top end too.
i prefere both of these over any markbass head i have tried, i think they are just not for me.
my advise is try one out.
it goes silly loud too!

I have owned the RH450, The Staccato 51 and the RH750, AND the Markbass F1, and a Markbass SD800 .... The RH 750 gets my vote HANDS DOWN - NO COMPARISON...

Reasons are: The "Classic" sounds identical to the RH450 when the 450 EQ is set flat, but the RH450 has LOADS more tweaking possibilities than the Classic. The Staccato has IMO too much baked in voicing that boosts the lows A LOT and really opens the the top end needed for a more "Marcus Miller" - slap tone. But IMO especially the boost at the lows are too much. I found myself using the head with the bass knob turned all the way down at all times - running with 3 xRS210 cabs. As your RS212 tends to add even more lows - and your described desired tone goal - I am pretty certain that you will find it too much in the lows as well

The reason the RH750 IMO wins is for a couple of reasons: 1: the headroom is simply better - and that will help for your kind of music style. 2: The addition of the "Tweeter tone" (not present on ANY of the other mentioned heads) makes this head even more versatile. You will simply get an amp that can sound like anything from a treble-free growling tube - old school amp to a modern HiFi slap tone Amp and anything in between. Having said that I'm pretty certain that from the style you describe, you will be able to find "your sound" having the tweeter tone turned almost all the way down - and having the tone controls set pretty much at noon, and then maybe some "Tube Tone" added..

REGARDLESS what you choose - ALL the mentioned TC heads will sound louder than any Markbass 500 - 800 w head - regardless what Lab-tests has shown recently. Thing is that the output is shaped to match you cranking of the Amps, so the TC heads are actually the fist SS amps I have ever tried that actually sounds good when pushed past their "abilities". The tone just get more and more growling and "Tube Like" when the juice run out - and Yes you can crack a RH750 all the way up with your 2 cabinets without danger.

The Markbass heads mentioned (and Mesa Boogie and Gallien Krueger and , and, and) on the other hand do not shape the tone when pushed over the edge. They start clipping instead and THAT sounds awful AND THAT destroys your speakers.

So ... GET the RH 750 ... It is IMO right now the most versatile head on the market, it has LOADS of Volume on board AND it has a lot of very addictive features like memory presets, Parametric EQ, built in very fast tuner, a brilliantly sounding compressor and probably the best sounding Tube Emulation on the market as well. Only downside of the 750 is that the fan is going all the time. Not fast and not loud - so you will not notice it at all when playing with the band - but it IS going (not the case on the Classic, RH450 and Staccato. Their fans will only go if REALLY pushed far for a long time) For this reason I stick to my GK MB 500 for practicing in the living-room at home

Edited by hogbob