Why become a member? ×

Fender Custom Shop '55 reissue FS / FT - NOW TRADED, THANKS FOR LOOKING!

Wiggybass

Hi chatters

For various reasons it's time that this lovely instrument went to a new owner.

It is a Fender Custom Shop '[color=red][size=4]55[/size][/color] [color=red][size=4]Reissue[/size][/color] in their 'Closet Classic' finish. This means 'lightly distressed' so the lacquer is gently cracked pretty much all over and there is the odd minor dent here and there. You don't see these things about too often, either new or used, and in particular in this colour. It comes with the CS case, metalwork and all the gubbins, including the original set of flatwounds, except the CS Certificate which a prior owner had managed to lose.

It is very light (under 8lbs) and as resonant as you like. The neck is a fairly chubby C-section, the skinny frets are in good shape and all the electrics work perfectly. It has been slightly modified:

1. The cup-style jack socket has been replaced with a flat version to enable the use of right-angled jacks

2. The original pickup (which, frankly, was crap) has been replaced with a Seymour Duncan Quarterpounder which works very well indeed. The original pickup is in the case.

If you're interested and you haven't played one already just be aware that this is probably the LEAST versatile bass ever made - it is really the ultimate one-trick-pony, albeit a very good trick indeed. Forget yer Marcus / Victor / Stanley tones, this thing is all about producing a large noise designed to hold down the bottom end in a band scenario playing any style of old-school rootsy music. Blues, R&R, R&B, Motown, classic soul, dub, electric folk, any ensemble which needs a big bottom (missus) is cannon fodder for this thing. For all that kind of stuff there is really nothing much to touch it - it is the ultimate in simplicity and proves that Mr Fender just got it right first time 60-odd years ago.

Cash price is around £1500-ish but to be honest I'd rather trade it for something interesting around the same value, maybe with a bit of cash either way. Ideally I'd like to find a Fender Custom Shop Jazz or Precision Bass (split pickup version) in a straight trade but tell me what you have. Willing to travel within reason, located near Worcester.

Sadly I haven't been able to work out how to upload images onto this site so you can see pics of the beastie here:

[url="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150332196277184.392810.622732183&type=1&l=952fb5b006"]https://www.facebook...=1&l=952fb5b006[/url]

Many thanks for reading!

Dave

Edited by Wiggybass

Nice bass, and I agree with you about the one-trick-pony thing. In the right band setting, these basses are unbeatable.

One tip on selling on Basschat: Give your location (in "My Profile").

If I was a potential buyer for this bass, it would make a significant difference to me whether you were in London or Lerwick.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1318579139' post='1403862']
Nice, shame the certificate is lost, otherwise I could be interested. Do you have any pics of the jack input change?

Good luck.
[/quote]

Can certainly get some, will post as soon as I can. The FCS will supply a replacement certificate but they'll separate you from £70-odd for the pleasure which I feel is taking the p*** somewhat, especially given what they charge for the instruments in the first place. However to anyone who knows anything about the FCS instruments it's obvious what it is and all the other candy is there.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1318582057' post='1403894']
Nice bass, and I agree with you about the one-trick-pony thing. In the right band setting, these basses are unbeatable.

One tip on selling on Basschat: Give your location (in "My Profile").

If I was a potential buyer for this bass, it would make a significant difference to me whether you were in London or Lerwick.
[/quote]

Yup, good tip and it sure makes a difference to me, but I mention my location in the text.

• 4 weeks later...