Why become a member? ×

Rehearsal Space...

ben604

So, we've got a practice room which we've been in for 6 months, but we're outgrowing it and so we've found a bigger room.

Old Room:

[attachment=91084:IMAG0548.jpg]
[attachment=91085:IMAG0611.jpg]

New Room:

[attachment=91086:2011-10-07 16.22.58a.jpg]
[attachment=91087:2011-10-07 16.23.36a.jpg]
[attachment=91088:2011-10-07 16.23.39a.jpg]

As you can see in the first pictures, we "made" some baffles with some "wood" and rockwool. It actually did a pretty good job of killing the bouncing mid-high frequencies, but bass is still a massive problem.

I'm posting here for two reasons...firstly to get some help/ideas for what to do to the room to help the acoustics/improve recording and then to document our efforts.

So, if you had this room and some money to invest, what would you do and how would you do it?

Firstly, I think we'll cover most of the glass with some sort of wood/plasterboard structure, with enough glass to see into the "control room" (lounge!) and move the baffles from our old room.

Ideas? Comments? All welcome!

I used rubber "grass mats", covered with 18mm ply, covered with rubber matting (though carpet would be a cheap option) - see my topic on Building My Own Rehearsal Space.

With my bass rig then standing on an Auralex GrammaPad, the bass frequencies are largely tamed. Virtually nothing gets transmitted through the floor.

With those breezeblock walls, I'd again suggest doing what I did ... build a stud-wall inside the concrete wall and fill the cavity with Rockwool. Staple cheap carpet over the lot and there you are, sorted.

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1318411962' post='1401684']
I'm not far from you and I was just wondering where you found your new and old rehearsal rooms? :)
[/quote]

Hey Shambo,

We're in Price Street Business Centre, in Birkenhead. It's a good little place. How often do you practice a week and how much money could you contribute a month? I might have a proposition for you...we've got the opportunity to move into a room about 3-4 times bigger than the 2nd room shown above. We just need to work out if we need/could afford it...!

What are your band called?

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1318422207' post='1401887']
Nice work Ben, tons of space in there! You planning to get a recording setup working with the ready made 'control room'?
[/quote]

Yeah, I think so. I've got a Macbook with Logic and an Alesis 24io, so we've got the 'recording' bit, we just need to get the room sorted and some microphones really. I think, initially, we'll get just a pair of mics in stereo somewhere in the room and record everything live, but eventually, we'll get everything close mic'd and do it properly.

It's all about money, as usual. I've got money to put in, but it'll be in dribs and drabs...

Right, ordered me some Rockwool RW3 from ebay, £9 per 4 pack of 1200*600*100mm. 5 Packs of that should cover the corner Superchunks in the live room.

We've got a mate who's a carpenter and my uncle installs double glazing, so we're going to combine their skills to make a stud wall on the live room side of the current wall (which we'll replace the single pane glass with plasterboard again) so that should give us some half decent isolation in the lounge/mixing room.

I think we're not going to treat for bass in the lounge/mixing room, only mid/highs and open the double doors when we're mixing, as an open door acts as an infinite bass trap, so I believe?

Just need some time, now....To be updated with pictures asap.