[attachment=90957:Firecreek P5 001.jpg]

Back
[attachment=90958:Firecreek P5 002.jpg]

Inlayed fretboard
[attachment=90959:Firecreek P5 Fretboard Inlay.jpg]

Walnut top
[attachment=90960:Firecreek P5 walnut Top.jpg]

Edited by nugget

The wenge is beautiful but a total bugger to work with!!

I like bound fretboards and was trying to think of something different from the normal binding that wasn't over the top and thought this might look cool, I think it look better in real life. The bass is meant to be not to flash and the inlay FB is quite subtle (in my eyes..)

Yes the end of the fretboard is angled after the 21st fret and will slope down to end flush with the walnut top - bit like some of the sei basses.

Ta
Dave

Hi Dave
I just wondered what lacewood is like to work with?
I think it is a lovely looking wood (I have a lacewood bass), I imagine it is a bit like mahogany, but does the lighter grain cut differently?
BTW, I think the inset fingerboard is a cracking idea, I've not seen it before.
Cheers
Jules

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1318193379' post='1399133']
Hi Dave
I just wondered what lacewood is like to work with?
I think it is a lovely looking wood (I have a lacewood bass), I imagine it is a bit like mahogany, but does the lighter grain cut differently?
BTW, I think the inset fingerboard is a cracking idea, I've not seen it before.
Cheers
Jules
[/quote]

Hi Jules

It's really nice the grain can pull out a little when run through the thicknesser but it's never any more than 0.5mm so easy to sand out later. Very stable, and finsihes great.

I've got quite a bit of lacewod, if you're ever passing Worcester you can have some for free to try out

Ta
Dave

Managed to get a bit done this weekend - somehow avoided the gardening again......

Top on, F hole cut, pickup cavity routed

[attachment=91397:DSCF2509.jpg]

Control cavity routed, Wenge is looking sweet around the belly cutout.....
[attachment=91398:DSCF2513.jpg]

Hopefully get the headstock done next weekend

Ta
Dave

Hi - Not enought time this weekend to get a whole load done... why does the wife think shopping is more important??

Headstock is shaped, it's like a fat tele headstock with 3+2 arrangement with matching walnut cap.

[attachment=91875:DSCF2718.jpg]

Got the body edges rounded and a started on profiling the neck. Hopefullt get a little more time next weekend as it's not long till the West Mids bass bash.

Next weekends plan is to get neck and fretboard profiled and frets pushed in. Couple more weekends tweeking here and there and then time to spray... should just be done on schedule for 27th Nov (fingers crossed)

Ta
Dave

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1319544122' post='1415446']
Dont envy you working with that Wenge !!
Looking fantastic though ..... :)
[/quote]

Thanks - I got a load of wenge, wish I didnt...I keep looking at it thinking 'hope I never have to use that again' The splintering is a total pain in the arse , the toxic splinters I've almost become immune to but the way it screws my lungs up isnt funny - It's like I've smoked 60 fags in 5 mins!! even with a good (but not good enough) dust mask...

Oli - It'll be interesting to see how it compares to your lovely Sandbergs..... One month and 2 days to deadline - told the wife no shopping this weekend!

Thanks
Dave

Weekly Update -

Still going to plan, frets and top dots fitted

[attachment=92312:Neck.jpg]

[attachment=92311:body.jpg]

Got a weekend of tidying it all up and fetteling and then time to spray it up. Probably wont look too different now until after finishing - so will try and update in a few weeks when hopefully it'll be looking good

Awesome stuff Dave, the fretwork and dots look great! Makes me want to build one myself..... wish I had the facilities to have a go! I'm an ex-carpenter, so I've got some skills, but not the necessary equipment or the money to buy any!

Ah well, maybe I'll just have to consider a Firecreek custom......... :)

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1320095051' post='1422362']
Awesome stuff Dave, the fretwork and dots look great! Makes me want to build one myself..... wish I had the facilities to have a go! I'm an ex-carpenter, so I've got some skills, but not the necessary equipment or the money to buy any!

Ah well, maybe I'll just have to consider a Firecreek custom......... :)
[/quote]

Ta Oli - I've got the space and (most of) the tools plus I'm only 20 miles away, pop round and make one here!!! See ya in a couple of weeks at the west mids Bash Bash..... PLUG.....

[quote name='nugget' timestamp='1320100797' post='1422468']

Ta Oli - I've got the space and (most of) the tools plus I'm only 20 miles away, pop round and make one here!!! See ya in a couple of weeks at the west mids Bash Bash..... PLUG.....
[/quote]

Thanks for the generous offer Dave, I'd love to but realistically I wouldn't have a clue how to go about building and fretting a neck from scratch! Do you do lessons? :)

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1320182628' post='1423569']

Thanks for the generous offer Dave, I'd love to but realistically I wouldn't have a clue how to go about building and fretting a neck from scratch! Do you do lessons? :)
[/quote]

I wish I had time !!!!

• 3 weeks later...

well.....mmmmmmm.......well.....errr.....mmmm......NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had a big problem, sprayed it all up ready for the final coat and was looking very nice, rubbed it flat, new can of spray and straight away the new can (exactly the same laquer but new can) bubbled the base coats and screwed the whole F'ing Jeffing lot up !!!

I was NOT HAPPY.

Called the manufacturers who were kind enough to offer to replace the one faulty can, i think i taught them some new swear words. I hope they didnt record the call as I offered to firebomb their stores to make sure the faulty batch was delt with as I wasnt the only person to complain with the same problem. Wrong chemical mix.

So rubbed it all back to plain wood and started all over.

The top is ready for the top coat and the back neads a couple more base coats before top coat. Wont be dry enough to rub down for this weekends west mids bash which was the original plan :) :) Should be dry enough to handle but will look a tad rough till its flatted down properly. I might still bring it along and hide it in the corner in a case.

2-3 weeks till it's finished now

Ta
Dave