Why become a member? ×

Trumpets rawk!

mcnach

I play in an originals band called Sea Bass Kid

(some stuff here: [url="http://soundcloud.com/seabasskid/sets/seabass-kid-the-calm-before-1/"]http://soundcloud.com/seabasskid/sets/seabass-kid-the-calm-before-1/[/url])

We are... or were! a five piece. Drummer and bass, and three guitarists of which one is the main vocalist and the other two do backing vocals. Despite having three guitars, there's enough space for all three. Yes, incredible, but I found three guitarists who know when to shut up and don't need to use huge amounts of distortion. No, I can't believe it either, but if it's a dream, don't wake me up! :)

We had been toying with the idea of getting some more things, since we recorded a demo. When we jam we sometimes use a synth and things... but never live.

That's how we got the idea to add some brass.

Then I found that a student in my lab used to play trumpet.
I asked him. He hadn't played for years, and didn;t have a trumpet with him (he's from Belarus).
He came to see us once... and said he liked us a lot.
Then he went home on holidays, and came back with a trumpet!!!

We're currently reworking a number of songs to include trumpet in them etc... and it's just such a powerful instrument. I love it love it love it.

A while ago I was briefly in a ska/reggae band (got disbanded when the drummer had to spend a night in a cell after some events that were not his fault,,, :)) with a sax and a trombone player... at rehearsals I always made sure I was in front of them, but betwen them... to get a good stereo image of them... amazing, I had forgotten how much fun brass can be.

I'm not asking any questions... just wanted to share this.

Trumpets.

Amazing.

Ah, ok, I'll ask a question... he wants to buy a better trumpet now. Any idea where is a good place to check out trumpets in Edinburgh or reasonably near? Glasgow for instance is fine. I have no idea...

Trumpets do indeed rock! I've recently started trying to learn. Just random noises at the moment (and angry neighbours!)

In regards to shops, the only edinburgh one I can think of is varsity music but they are a total rip off so avoid like the plague.

Maybe try online? Is there a 'Trumpetchat'? lol

Good luck with the band! Trumpet players in edinburgh are hard to come by (so wish I could find a reliable one for my motown band) so keep a hold of him!

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1317957214' post='1396682']
As someone who cut their teeth playing in a big band at 17, having horn players makes a huge difference to the sound although with me it was usually 4 trumpets, 4 bones and 4 saxes
[/quote]

16!!! That's why we couldn't find one, you had them all! :)

[quote name='Kelso' timestamp='1317960336' post='1396688']
Trumpets do indeed rock! I've recently started trying to learn. Just random noises at the moment (and angry neighbours!)

In regards to shops, the only edinburgh one I can think of is varsity music but they are a total rip off so avoid like the plague.

Maybe try online? Is there a 'Trumpetchat'? lol

Good luck with the band! Trumpet players in edinburgh are hard to come by (so wish I could find a reliable one for my motown band) so keep a hold of him!
[/quote]

Yes, Varsity came to mind first... but I *detest* that shop. I bought one guitar there once... I could not find that guitar locally elsewhere and that particular guitar was extremely nice... if I hadn't fallen in love with that guitar I'd have walked out about 5min after being in that shop. Dreadful. The owner seems like a right twat.
Not intending to get back there.

Probably the best place to check out trumpets in Edinburgh is the Wind Section, which used to be on York Place, but I believe has recently moved down to Cumberland Street. [url="http://www.thewindsection.com/"]http://www.thewindsection.com/[/url] I know my old man had been going there for all his clarinet and sax needs, without any cause for complaint.

Good luck with the band, sounding pretty sweet.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1317940747' post='1396617']
We are... or were! a five piece. Drummer and bass, and three guitarists of which one is the main vocalist and the other two do backing vocals. Despite having three guitars, there's enough space for all three. Yes, incredible, but I found three guitarists who know when to shut up and don't need to use huge amounts of distortion. No, I can't believe it either, but if it's a dream, don't wake me up! :)
[/quote]

When I saw you guys I was really impressed that you'd managed to make three guitars sound good. I imagine brass works really nicely with your band too :)

[quote]Ah, ok, I'll ask a question... he wants to buy a better trumpet now. Any idea where is a good place to check out trumpets in Edinburgh or reasonably near? Glasgow for instance is fine. I have no idea...
[/quote]

There's a shop in Glasgow called Band Supplies, near the Kelvingrove. I always dealt with them when I was younger and playing woodwinds. They used to do a rental deal, where you could rent an instrument for three months and if you wanted to keep it then they'd deduct the cost of the rental from the price of the instrument---so it was essentially a really long trial period.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1317940747' post='1396617'] Yes, incredible, but I found three guitarists who know when to shut up and don't need to use huge amounts of distortion. No, I can't believe it either, but if it's a dream, don't wake me up! :)
[/quote]

nope sorry dont believe you must be a dream! :)
next youll be asking us to believe youve got a keyboard player that doesnt want to fiddle about and fill in all the empty quiet gaps

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='Simon.' timestamp='1317977829' post='1396780']
Probably the best place to check out trumpets in Edinburgh is the Wind Section, which used to be on York Place, but I believe has recently moved down to Cumberland Street. [url="http://www.thewindsection.com/"]http://www.thewindsection.com/[/url] I know my old man had been going there for all his clarinet and sax needs, without any cause for complaint.

Good luck with the band, sounding pretty sweet.
[/quote]

That's cool, thanks! I'll check that out. Funny, I used to live in Cumberland St when I first arrived in Edinburgh!

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1317987969' post='1396986']

When I saw you guys I was really impressed that you'd managed to make three guitars sound good. I imagine brass works really nicely with your band too :)

There's a shop in Glasgow called Band Supplies, near the Kelvingrove. I always dealt with them when I was younger and playing woodwinds. They used to do a rental deal, where you could rent an instrument for three months and if you wanted to keep it then they'd deduct the cost of the rental from the price of the instrument---so it was essentially a really long trial period.
[/quote]

Thanks for the compliments :)
and for the name of the place in Glasgow. I'll pass it along and we'll have to go West sometime soon. Cheers!

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1318002517' post='1397185']
Friend of mine plays trumpet with this outfit, was very impressed when I saw 'em: [url="http://freelancemourners.co.uk/"]http://freelancemourners.co.uk/[/url]

Also saw The Urban Voodoo Machine last month who make very good use of brass :)
[/quote]

I liked the Freelance Mourners... they remind me a bit of Gogol Bordello. Downloading album in a minute, thanks for the link!