Why become a member? ×

What's the best BARREL JACK to replace my knacked Warwick one?

xilddx

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1317633006' post='1392409']
Try [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/category/Electronics/Jack_Sockets,b.html"]here[/url] man.

Before you order, check first to see if you require a mono or stereo socket.
[/quote]
Thanks mate, it's stereo.

I know WD and Allparts, I've had stuff before from both.

I suppose my qestion is are there barrel jacks out there that are better than Switchcraft? Or are (as I suspect) Switchcraft pretty much the best anyway?

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1317640398' post='1392517']
Hey Nige, if by any chance it doesn't arrive in time, I can lend you one of my basses mate
[/quote]
That's so kind mate, thank you! It should arrive tomorrow and I have a backup bass if it doesn't.

Thanks again, Clarky, I really appreciate that.

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1317819280' post='1394912']
Might be late now, but useful to know in future, [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/6.35mm-stereo-long-reach-chassis-socket-223988"]MAPLIN[/url]
[/quote]

I saw that the other day, but just realised it's a neutrik! For £2.29!

I got my Switchcraft from RS for about £13 + £4.95 next day delivery, and there's a Maplins not far from me. That will teach me to read more closely, I assusmed it would be a piece of Maplin junk. :)

• 4 months later...

Old thread but...
I recently bought an Ibanez sr-500 and I'm in love with it. I noticed that the sound would cut off when tugging the cable the 'wrong' way and actually ordered a Neutrik stereo jack and started looking for my good old soldering iron. I tried a couple of different cables that are part of my bass kit with same problem.

Now, this morning I decided to dig out an old Whirlwind Leader cable from my guitar gear (sorry, I'm a guitarist really - nobody's perfect) and bingo! Try as I might to get it to misbehave, it's rock solid.

So the message is: the plugs are 'standard' but the tip shape varies a lot between manufacturers. It so happens that the old Leader just fits, so I'll be keeping the new jack as a spare. For now.

[quote name='eParrot' timestamp='1329049707' post='1536411']
Old thread but...
I recently bought an Ibanez sr-500 and I'm in love with it. I noticed that the sound would cut off when tugging the cable the 'wrong' way and actually ordered a Neutrik stereo jack and started looking for my good old soldering iron. I tried a couple of different cables that are part of my bass kit with same problem.

Now, this morning I decided to dig out an old Whirlwind Leader cable from my guitar gear (sorry, I'm a guitarist really - nobody's perfect) and bingo! Try as I might to get it to misbehave, it's rock solid.

So the message is: the plugs are 'standard' but the tip shape varies a lot between manufacturers. It so happens that the old Leader just fits, so I'll be keeping the new jack as a spare. For now.
[/quote]

Yes, it is a fact that for all 1/4" jack plugs are meant to be the same size, some do vary in size. I had a mare with Planet Waves cables and one of my basses, swore I'd never have another yet a mate reckons that it is the perfect lead and sorted out the problem of cutting out on his bass. Only thing I'd add is; if eParrot ever turns up to a gig and his WW lead is missing he'll be shafted if he has to use another brand! :mellow: