Why become a member? ×

Warmoth basses - tell me more!

TRBboy

I know a few people on BC have done Warmoth basses, but I just wondered if anyone could tell me a bit more about doing it? It seems to me that it could work out pretty expensive!

Is it good quality stuff? Is it a nightmare and expensive getting the stuff shipped over?

I'd be grateful for any opinions and experiences people can share.

I had 2 warmoths so far and the quality is there. I bought parts second hand to compensate price of shipping and duty fee + VAT. Necks are rock stable, but a bit on the heavy side, that's where steel rods make a difference ;-) I'm not sure if I was going to assemble from new parts, that would probably be out of my budget, but when buying used neck/body, you can get very nice bass for more than reasonable amount.

Warmoth is also one of the best ways to start with exotic woods. I loved my wenge/bloodwood neck!

Edited by kurcatovium

Depending on the exchange rate it can work out expensive.

When I got mine the exchange rate was really good so I got what is IMHO a custom shop bass for second hand MIA Fender money.

The quality and worksmanship is first rate and the choice is fantastic.

Everything fits together perfectly.

I'vre just priced up what mine would cost new to have built today and before shipping it comes in at $1008 minus the Warwick JAN III nut. At the time that was around the £500 plus shipping which may have been around £100 by UPS.

Where else would you get sparkly gold, mahogany body, wenge neck, ebony fretboard and gold frets in '54 P bass form?

Since I got mine, they now offer a slimmer neck and graphite rods.

Edited by Delberthot

Quality is definitely up there, I doubt you could get better parts for those prices even if they seem expensive nowadays.
With Warmoth you get [i]exactly[/i] what you want, it definitely lives up to expectations. Mine had the old style jazz neck with steel rods and a slightly clubbier shape, if i was to order one today i would get their newer shape. The steel rods definitely add a bit of noticeable extra weight IMO.

Mine was beautiful, I wish I still had it!

[IMG]http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee440/Devo3000/Random%20Pics/Warmoth2.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by lemmywinks

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1317366769' post='1389847']
Trading is the other way to go. Most people won't pay top money for them cos they're still effectively parts basses however you present them but you're more likely to get more for them through a trade
[/quote]
You won't be doing that again though, will you :)