FS/FT: 2011 Ric 4001 c64. SOLD.

Beedster

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1318098868' post='1398139']

What CD would you like mate? :)
[/quote]

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1318098868' post='1398139']

What CD would you like mate? :)
[/quote]

Have you still got that copy of The White Album signed by all five Beatles?

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1318100804' post='1398169']

Have you still got that copy of The White Album signed by all five Beatles?
[/quote]

I have a copy of the first G//Z/R CD, signed by Geezer Butler himself! But you would have to twist my arm if I were to trade for a Rick, and I'd probably need something extra on top, like your house.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1318322507' post='1400387']
Nope. I'm not biting! :)
[/quote]

No joke mate, the Ric fretless tone is massive and to die for, beats any other fretless I've owned.

However, both guys who were interested in my 4003FL have now declined so this is now very much for sale and unlikely to have fret surgery any time soon. I'm still having a few problems using this site so I think I'm probably going to send this eBay-wards at the weekend (there are two used c64s there at present, both at £500 more than I'm asking I should add). I've got some pics which I'll try to post using Photobucket in the next day or so (and when I'm on a faster connection)

Chris

[quote name='Cloff' timestamp='1319375329' post='1413231']
So. Freaking. Tempting.

Problem is that I'm located in Holland and that i've never bought a bass from a foreign country before, so i'm a bit anxious about it all.. :)
[/quote]

Hey Gerben, it's generally been safe when guys on this site have done it, but my honest opinion is that unless you can ship it with 100% confidence in the courier and their insurance policy, it's a always a risk with an expensive bass, and if that is too much risk for you, don't do it.

Chris

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1319389321' post='1413494']
I have to say I would take the risk. It's unlikely to drop off the chart completely between here and Holland and the case will protect it. You can always source a new case if it gets a little damaged. My preference would be to get on a ferry and collect it if I was you.
[/quote]

Thanks HKH, I'd be happier to hand this over in person for sure, but will post if needs be. the good thing about the former is that I live 10 miles from Dover so could meet anyone who jumped on a ferry quite easily

Still tempted to keep it and sell the girlfriend though

C

[quote name='Cloff' timestamp='1319375329' post='1413231']
So. Freaking. Tempting.

Problem is that I'm located in Holland and that i've never bought a bass from a foreign country before, so i'm a bit anxious about it all.. :)
[/quote]

It'll be fine - just chop the UK plug off the lead and put a Dutch one on there :)

Chris (Beedster) is a top bloke - it's them ferries you have to watch out for!!!

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1319395112' post='1413634']
There are probably a million florists vans going over to the flower/pot plant markets in Amsterdam every day - do you know anyone?
[/quote]

LOL, the one florist I know who travels regularly to Amsterdam is not the kind of guy you'd trust with a few grand's worth of bass :)

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1319396450' post='1413672']

Chris (Beedster) is a top bloke - it's them ferries you have to watch out for!!!
[/quote]

Cheers Dave, no idea what you mean about the ferries but the bit about me is true :)

Another PX option I'd consider - perhaps oddly - is for a much lower value fretted Ric, or even a decent quality Rickenfaker (it would need a through neck). I was going to keep the last of my once extensive Precision collection as a fretted back-up, but I think I'm going to let that go after all. Ideally, I'd like to take around £500 cash and Ric for the c64; this might seem a tall ask but I've seen a few 4003s go very low on eBay recently (i.e, substantially less than £1000). Anyway, if you've got an old fretted Ric that might have seen better days and you fancy a Macca upgrade, let me know.

To summarise! The way I see it, if I sell the Precision for circa £600 (it's a 70/80s hybrid), and get circa £500 and a Ric for the c64, I could still come out of both deals with two Rics and just over a grand, which would tick lots of boxes Chez Beedster!

Questions on a postcard :)

Cheers

Chris

I bought one of these new in June but fireglow and despite being a thoroughly dyed in the wool precision man, I have played virtually nothing else since I got it. It is a completely different beast to the last one i bought, both in playability and sound.

The price that Chris wants for it is a steal, wish I could have found one at that price.

[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1319485137' post='1414826']
I bought one of these new in June but fireglow and despite being a thoroughly dyed in the wool precision man, I have played virtually nothing else since I got it. It is a completely different beast to the last one i bought, both in playability and sound.

The price that Chris wants for it is a steal, wish I could have found one at that price.
[/quote]

My experience exactly BM, and one of the reasons i was considering a de-fret. I At a recent rehearsal I A-B'd it against a very good 70's Precision through my Aguilar/Mesa rig, and it simply blew the Precision out of the water. It had so much more presence and clarity, but so much more bass as well - not the type of scooped clarity/bass I associate with a wide open Jazz either, just a far fuller and richer tone than any Precision or Jazz in my hands has ever achieved (I think the rig probably takes some credit here also). To my mind it's simply a different league of instrument to anything Leo ever designed, and as you probably know, I've been a strong advocate for everything Fender for a long time now. If I wasn't so committed to my 4003 Fretless there's no way I'd be selling this, but that bass is my sound and my bass. If it doesn't sell I won't be worried, I'm sure that, going on previous experience, I'd regret it one day, and as they no longer make them, it'll no doubt appreciate.

Glad you're finding yours to be the same standard as mine

C

I find the response across the strings to be really good as well. I can pay right down the bottom, and then go right up the top and the sound is even and full. The last one I had which was in the mid 90s, was also a mono with dots, cant remember the model at the time, sounded dull, had no balls, and the neck just didnt feel right, it was sticky and just yuch.Looked great hanging on the wall but thats it.
I have played on and off with the same drummer and guitard since 1970 and they have both said that the combination of that and my Phil Jones is the best sound I have ever got. Sounds pretty good through my acoustic too.

[quote name='Chris90' timestamp='1319634703' post='1416667']
Would you ship to the Netherlands?
[/quote]

Hi Chris

Yes, but I would only post fully insured, which as I said in a previous post, might be cheaper if arranged from your end.

Chris

Several guys have decided today that they want this so it's on hold until I've worked through each. Guys, if it's OK I'll get back to you in order once I've had a reply from the first in the queue

C

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Cloff' timestamp='1319980836' post='1420734']
Any news yet?
[/quote]

Hi Gerben, there's two guys travelling down to Canterbury this week to play and three guys in Europe who have also said that they will buy it if the UK guys are not interested. You're first in the Europe list if that's of any help? I should be able to let you know by Wednesday or Thursday this week. Funny how this has been up for a few weeks with no interest then everyone went for it the same day!

Cheers

Chris