Why become a member? ×

What to take to uni?

dr.funk

I'm off to UCL in September and ovbiously intend on joining a few bands and going to the jam nights. At the moment I have a Hartke HA3500 and 2 2x10s, a rig which has served me well in my previous band with a bloody loud drummer. I think it is utter overkill taking all this to uni particularly when I'm going to be in halls and given that my band at home has now split I don't see I will have much need for it during the holidays.

My bass teacher reckons I should take the head and 1 cab but this still has quite a large footprint and isn't going to be that easy to move around london without a car. I also find the 1 2x10 by itself doesnt keep up very well with the band (although that may have just been down to the volume of the drummer) and is a little lacking in the low end, which is fair I think. At the moment I'm leaning towards selling the rig and buying a harkte kickback combo. I think this would be loud enough for small gigs/jams and then be a good monitor for bigger gigs. I will also be taking my harkte DI and planning to run through the PA for most gigs.

To anyone who has been through uni, what did you take, did you regret not keeping/having a bigger rig? I was also wondering whether most venues will have a PA that can handle the bass..

Cheers
Chris

Well, I'm not gigging at uni (mainly because I'm rubbish), although I've got the option to but I'm shopping for a rig anyway due to a couple of the music societies (which use their equipment at their gigs) only have a couple of 15w practice amps for bass, which won't let me keep up with the 50w or 100w combos in the practice room (we're too lazy to hook up the PA all the time), leading to me not attending as I can't hear myself.

I'm looking at the new Ashdown little giant heads, and probably a compact 2x10, it should be really easy to lug that around.

I cannot recommend the Pandora PX4D highly enough. I've used it for the last 4 years and despite having a great rig I still practice through it. It's a phenomenal practice tool, dirt cheap, effects galore and even gigworthy.

Check it out on GAK. If you have a guitar you can even use it for that.

Mark

Thanks guys.

Mark- I am sorted for practicing in my room as I use an M Audio soundcard and headphones. Works really well for me as I have plenty of effects on tap and drum machines etc. Ableton Live is a really useful practice tool. I am really looking for an intermediate solution, something that I can use for practices, small gigs etc. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

On a side note I am tempted by the Adrenalinn III for effects..

Hey! Good job getting in UCL. 'Tis my last year there, and I'm in the middle of doing my dissertation.

My public transport rig consists of a Mark Bass Little Mark II and a UL110 Epifani cab. It has a small footprint, and easy enough to take around London with a small trolley. But I think your Harkte combo and DI solution is ideal and definitely more value-for-money. Most venues around here have PA (though a lot are quite bad).

At UCL there's a new guy in charge of the Live Music Society here, and he organised a Battle of the Bands to generate money for some new rehearsal rooms (My band won btw... :) ). So hopefully if you meet any new people in halls, there should be somewhere fairly inexpensive to rehearse next September. This new guy in charge seems to be much more band orientated than the last people, so maybe next year he'll put on a lot more band events.

Good luck with it all mate.

What halls will you be in?

I was in Ramsay which had a practice room of sorts, so if you will be there then it will definitely be worth bringing a small rig. If you are going to be in one the Camden halls- Ifor Evans or Max Raine- then there are loads of good practice studios around where you can hire some useable kit.

I had a Gallien Krueger Microbass combo, which was perfect for halls, small gigs and use in the crappy UCL practice rooms. Also having a bass amp is vital for winning noise wars against loud neigbours.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='160153' date='Mar 19 2008, 10:54 AM']Initially, I would take just the bass and a half-decent DI.[/quote]

Cheers will definitely bring the hartke.

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='160236' date='Mar 19 2008, 01:52 PM']Hey! Good job getting in UCL. 'Tis my last year there, and I'm in the middle of doing my dissertation.

My public transport rig consists of a Mark Bass Little Mark II and a UL110 Epifani cab. It has a small footprint, and easy enough to take around London with a small trolley. But I think your Harkte combo and DI solution is ideal and definitely more value-for-money. Most venues around here have PA (though a lot are quite bad).

At UCL there's a new guy in charge of the Live Music Society here, and he organised a Battle of the Bands to generate money for some new rehearsal rooms (My band won btw... :huh: ). So hopefully if you meet any new people in halls, there should be somewhere fairly inexpensive to rehearse next September. This new guy in charge seems to be much more band orientated than the last people, so maybe next year he'll put on a lot more band events.

Good luck with it all mate.[/quote]

Hey s_u_y!

I remember you posting on the other thread I posted about this a while ago, very useful so thanks again! Best of luck with your dissertation. Your rig sounds lovely but I think I will be limited a bit financially, mind you the hartke sounds pretty good to me. Thats good news about the practice rooms, would definitely be better than having to rent somewhere. Do you do to the jazz jam on Tuesdays? If so any good?

Cheers
Chris

[quote name='Sparky' post='160248' date='Mar 19 2008, 02:10 PM']off topic slightly, but what 2x10's do you use Dr.Funk?[/quote]

I have two 'loud' 2x10s. I'm not sure how long you have been on here but a few years ago back on bassworld version 1 (pre FBI) there was a guy selling cabs made by a chap in Northern Ireland. The cabs were amazing value and sounded pretty good. But there was a bit of a communication problem. I think I was the last to get my cab and it took about 2 months of arguing and waiting. A lot of people never got theirs and the guy did a runner with quite a lot of money.

Anyway they use emminence drivers rated 600w rms for the pair and are 8 ohm each.

[quote name='Alfie' post='160441' date='Mar 19 2008, 07:43 PM']What halls will you be in?

I was in Ramsay which had a practice room of sorts, so if you will be there then it will definitely be worth bringing a small rig. If you are going to be in one the Camden halls- Ifor Evans or Max Raine- then there are loads of good practice studios around where you can hire some useable kit.

I had a Gallien Krueger Microbass combo, which was perfect for halls, small gigs and use in the crappy UCL practice rooms. Also having a bass amp is vital for winning noise wars against loud neigbours.[/quote]

Hey Alfie,

Yep I am hoping for Ramsay, put a little note on my accommodation form asking for them so fingers crossed. I didn't realise there is a practice room there thats very cool. Looks like the hartke kickback will be the way to go then :)

[quote name='dr.funk' post='160487' date='Mar 19 2008, 08:44 PM']Hey s_u_y!

I remember you posting on the other thread I posted about this a while ago, very useful so thanks again! Best of luck with your dissertation. Your rig sounds lovely but I think I will be limited a bit financially, mind you the hartke sounds pretty good to me. Thats good news about the practice rooms, would definitely be better than having to rent somewhere. Do you do to the jazz jam on Tuesdays? If so any good?

Cheers
Chris[/quote]

I've heard about the jam nights. Never been though... my jazz standards aren't up to scratch to be honest. Thanks for the best wishes. I need all the luck I can get to finish this on time. :)

I find a light 2x10 (I'm using a Hartke Transporter at the mo) and Little Mark II does all I need and is portable enough to carry accross town if need be. I've done 5 shows and gigged with three bands these past two terms, and that gear's never let me down.

Light is right.

take the bass and a DI to start. Maybe a wee 15/25w combo The less knickable stuff the better. Borrow/share stuff to start with
Surry aint very far fae london so you can always get the gear when you need it. If you think about it the first point in most bands will be sitting around writing random songs, you dinnae need a big rig for that!

Oh and investigate Irn-Bru for the hangovers!

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic, I've been thinking about this myself recently.

I'm off to Bristol, and the hall i'm applying to says it has a music practice room, but all I know is that it contains a drum-kit. I do want to join/start a band when I get up there, but all I have at the moment is a 15W.
Could anyone give me some advice on whether to get something bigger and better now, or if I should wait to see what the situation is like with PA's at venues and stuff?

Just finishing my 3rd year at Uni. Think I went a bit overkill with bringing equipment though cos as soon as the band i joined started gigging I brought up literally all my gear (a 300W 2x10 Trace combo with the choice of 2 cabs; 4x10 and 1x15, 4 basses, numourous effects, and recording gear). Didn't need a lot of it. To be honnest i could have got away with my main bass and the 2x10 combo. All the other stuff just ended up being a massive hassle when moving in and out of new accomodation. Storing that much gear in halls was crazy as well. I'd recomend just playing it by ear. If you can get away with it on the short term then just take 1 bass and a practise amp. Until you get gigging in a band you're not gonna need stacks of equipment, although it was fun to annoy the sh*t out of 300 other students when I came back to halls pissed at 4am and started playing some Mars Volta with the full amp set up...those were the days.

i sold all my gear before moving down, just to gradually buy it again and now i have a head and 2x10 which suffices for the moment, though by summer there will be another 2x10. Dont sell it all before you know what space you have, keep at least the 2x10 as you will miss it, but one bass and di is a +1
saying all this im not in halls so might not be too relevant, although i have a pretty good experience of halls anyhow, and youl be fine with a small amount of stuff, just bring less pasta