Why become a member? ×

before you upgrade pickups, amp, pedals etc....

Dom in Dorset

I saved some cash and splashed out on a secind hand US Fender Jazz. I'm more of a precision tone fan but love the neck and potential versatility of the Jazz so I was prepared to experiment to find "my tone"
For various reasons I didn't have my amp for a couple of weeks and didn't get to plug the new jazz in until last week.
During the rehearsal I wasn't massively impressed with the output and felt that the Jazz lacked "depth". I love the feel of the bass and though that I should replace pickups, add speakers to my rig, preamp? pedals?
Last week I went deaf in my left ear, it had been a problem on and off for a while but this was the worst yet, left ear blocked for a week.
I saw the doctor and have the offending ear syringed.
The Jazz sounds amazing!
Before you upgarde, check your ears.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='1373891' date='Sep 14 2011, 11:01 PM']I saved some cash and splashed out on a secind hand US Fender Jazz. I'm more of a precision tone fan but love the neck and potential versatility of the Jazz so I was prepared to experiment to find "my tone"
For various reasons I didn't have my amp for a couple of weeks and didn't get to plug the new jazz in until last week.
During the rehearsal I wasn't massively impressed with the output and felt that the Jazz lacked "depth". I love the feel of the bass and though that I should replace pickups, add speakers to my rig, preamp? pedals?
Last week I went deaf in my left ear, it had been a problem on and off for a while but this was the worst yet, left ear blocked for a week.
I saw the doctor and have the offending ear syringed.
The Jazz sounds amazing!
Before you upgarde, check your ears.[/quote]
+1 to having your ears syringed. It really makes a difference.

Having your ears syringed is amazing! I remember the first time I had it done, I left the doctor's surgery and stuck the keys in my car ignition. Sounded like the engine was being played through Motörhead's PA system!!! Even silly little things like rubbing your fingers together beside your ear is incredible, you can hear every tiny sound.

I do mine myself now with a Karcher Pressure Washer.

:)

Actually last time I went to get it done I was told that in most cases it's fine to do it at home. I bought an Earex kit that has some drops and a squirty bulb thing, very much like a soldering squirty bulb thing, but for ears.

I did it a few weeks ago and it was massively satisfying. Although my ears seemed fine at the time I got a great big lump out of one ear the size of a small cat/large kitten.

:)