Why become a member? ×

Sandbergs - Tell me about them please - Cali JM4 / PM4

xilddx

Well, yes, but the whole point of these types of threads are ideas and experiences and maybe a few curve balls.
Tap into collective knowledge etc etc ..but no one is going to convince siddx what bass is right for him other than siddx
and all the posts are mere pointers and base knowledge of what is out there which is what think he was asking for..

But sure, you can apply 'vested interest' to many many threads.

I don't think GW was meaning peoples opinions on here, as they are just personal opinions. I love Sandberg but I've never tried a Mayones, so I can't compare them. I do agree though that you should always be cautious of a shop owner who is keen to change your mind from the bass you thought you wanted, which he doesn't stock, to a different brand which he does stock. As we all know, you just need to get it in your hand and have a thrash (if you'll pardon the expression!)

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1316377273' post='1377273']
I don't think GW was meaning peoples opinions on here, as they are just personal opinions. I love Sandberg but I've never tried a Mayones, so I can't compare them. I do agree though that you should always be cautious of a shop owner who is keen to change your mind from the bass you thought you wanted, which he doesn't stock, to a different brand which he does stock. As we all know, you just need to get it in your hand and have a thrash (if you'll pardon the expression!)
[/quote]

Alleluyah, this man has "got" my point with 100% accuracy! Well done, I now enlist you in my good book lol

To be fair, when I rang Bass Direct and said that I was really after a ‘super jazz’ but was considering a Sandberg (which he stocks), he could have tried to sell me one over the phone. However, he said ‘I think you can do better than that’ and went thru what he thought were the alternatives that he could offer me.

Mark is rather opinionated and I don’t agree with everything that he says, but he does get to compare lots of different gear and he is always very honest (to the extent of advising me to buy from someone else when he couldn’t match an offer I had been given), so it is always worth giving what he says some serious consideration!

I've never been in the store, but on their website they don't appear to have any Sandbergs in stock at the moment, and prior to that they only had one Sandberg bass listed for months. When I spoke to Synergy a few months ago about a custom order, they gave me the impression that PMT is the only official UK retailer, although I guess that's since been extended to GuitarGuitar too.

Putting 2 and 2 together (and potentially making 5), I guessed that Bass Direct aren't really selling Sandberg anymore, so they're steering customers toward similar alternatives that they do stock.

I'm sure that Mark is a great guy, although I've never had chance to meet him, but I'd love a trip to the shop one day for some serious drooling!

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1316382518' post='1377459']
Putting 2 and 2 together (and potentially making 5), I guessed that Bass Direct aren't really selling Sandberg anymore, so they're steering customers toward similar alternatives that they do stock.
-------
[/quote]

[size=5][b]10 POINTS!![/b][/size]

oh F**K me! He's right again! LOL (no more Sandberg's at BD all replaced by Mayonnaise and Clovers) :) :) :)

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I've just noticed this topic, don't fancy reading all six pages but here is my opinion on Sandbergs...

... they're great. Wanted to dislike them at first (don't know why, I'm like that at times), but ended up loving all the ones I've tried. Really well made, uncomplicated but very usable instruments and they offer serious bang for your buck. I think if I had a bit more money I would shell out for a Sadowsky Metro which I think is a slightly superior instrument in a lot of respects but I would have no hesitation in buying a Sandberg California at all. I've played the JJ's, JM's, PM's, 4 and 5's, fretted and fretless and haven't come across one that hasn't impressed me.

Here endeth my opinion

I might well be in the market for one of these....

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/xt660/883d8a94.jpg[/IMG]

in a 5 strings / maple neck but with block inlays as in this pic here.... minus the matching headstock as I hate painted h/stocks in a MM / P pickup combo.

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/xt660/bd789716.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1316415575' post='1377619']http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sandberg-5-string-bass-guitar-/200648843249?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2eb79a5ff1#ht_500wt_1156

Recently sold.[/quote]

Nice! It seems crazy how cheap they seem to go used!

I'm so tempted to ring the guy on Gumtree about his Basic.........

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1316415575' post='1377619']
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sandberg-5-string-bass-guitar-/200648843249?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2eb79a5ff1#ht_500wt_1156"]http://www.ebay.co.u...1#ht_500wt_1156[/url]

Recently sold.
[/quote]

Lovely that and very cheap, shame about the rosewood board. Gotta be maple for me.

I think once you are talking £1000+, id have to have a quality returns policy (which all stores should be operating anyway) which allows a full refund. If that isnt an option, I wouldnt bother. I see why people go and test, I used to do it in Newcastle all the time, but now I dont live near any good bass stores, EVERYTHING has to be by the internet. Once you factor in the cost of travel, a whole weekend out (most the time Id have to stay with the missus in a hotel if its 3-4 hours drive) you may as well try the 7 days returns policy.

Id love to A/B the Mayones with the Sandberg. The main attraction to the Mayones is the killer blocks, great old Fender colours, and the J+J in the right place, whereas the M+J on the Sandbergs dont seem to be in the right positions.

Apparently the Mayones have Glock pre-amps, which also sells it for me.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1316423699' post='1377726']I think once you are talking £1000+, id have to have a quality returns policy (which all stores should be operating anyway) which allows a full refund. If that isnt an option, I wouldnt bother. I see why people go and test, I used to do it in Newcastle all the time, but now I dont live near any good bass stores, EVERYTHING has to be by the internet. Once you factor in the cost of travel, a whole weekend out (most the time Id have to stay with the missus in a hotel if its 3-4 hours drive) you may as well try the 7 days returns policy.

Id love to A/B the Mayones with the Sandberg. The main attraction to the Mayones is the killer blocks, great old Fender colours, and the J+J in the right place, whereas the M+J on the Sandbergs dont seem to be in the right positions.

Apparently the Mayones have Glock pre-amps, which also sells it for me.[/quote]

I know what you mean, there's no decent shops near me either!

I think with the California series basses, you need to not think of the humbucker in Stingray terms. You're right, the positioning is nothing like a 'ray, you just need to think of it like a jazz bridge pickup, only more powerful and gutsy. The California's are truly a modern take on a classic design. They sound much more modern and "hi-fi" with loads of clarity and definition, but it's never gonna sound quite like a vintage fender.

FYI, I think all Sandbergs are equipped with Glocks. Hope this helps.

I think Sandberg basses are just amazing..I've had around 120 basses in my life (from Status to Alembic, from Fodera to vintage Fenders). I've sold nearly everything and I have around five basses left (a good fretless, a five-string, a nice P bass, my Wal and my Sandberg). I'm even thinking about selling my Wal since I enjoy playing my Sandberg more.
The sounds are so versatile, remind me of a great Jazz-bass, a nice Ken Smith, a smooth Stingray...
Tastes differ but it beats every Fender I have owned, even my '66 Jazz..
I paid 800 euros for this one second hand, it keeps on inspiring me..

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1316449877' post='1378147']I think Sandberg basses are just amazing..I've had around 120 basses in my life (from Status to Alembic, from Fodera to vintage Fenders). I've sold nearly everything and I have around five basses left (a good fretless, a five-string, a nice P bass, my Wal and my Sandberg). I'm even thinking about selling my Wal since I enjoy playing my Sandberg more.
The sounds are so versatile, remind me of a great Jazz-bass, a nice Ken Smith, a smooth Stingray...
[/quote]

:) that is lovely! I've always wanted to try a Sandberg with two 'buckers, but I've never come across one in the flesh yet. I'd love to try a Basic Ken Taylor, and if I had the money I would probably have one made with the pickups moved forward a little.

Very nice bass dude, I thought I was completely GAS free 'til I saw that!

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1316449877' post='1378147']
I think Sandberg basses are just amazing..I've had around 120 basses in my life (from Status to Alembic, from Fodera to vintage Fenders). I've sold nearly everything and I have around five basses left (a good fretless, a five-string, a nice P bass, my Wal and my Sandberg). I'm even thinking about selling my Wal since I enjoy playing my Sandberg more.

[/quote]
It was your pic on stage with this in the Show Us What You Look Like thread that got me thinking about Sandbergs :)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1316415575' post='1377619']
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sandberg-5-string-bass-guitar-/200648843249?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2eb79a5ff1#ht_500wt_1156"]http://www.ebay.co.u...1#ht_500wt_1156[/url]

Recently sold.
[/quote]

Everything is kinda wrong there for me with the pickups but that looks great.
That would have been tempting... and even if I say so myself, my basses lack for nothing, IMV.

hmmmm...!!!

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1316463897' post='1378472']
I'd love to try a Basic Ken Taylor, and if I had the money I would probably have one made with the pickups moved forward a little.
[/quote]
Right there with you on this. I'm looking forward to airing my Basic PM for the first time in ages tonight.

I got a bit tempted yesterday and contacted the bloke on Gumtree about his Basic......... thankfully it's identical to mine, so I'm not interested!

I know it may not be what Silddx is after, but that bass is a seriously good buy for someone at £400! He sent me a pic and it does look in VGC and has a nice grain pattern.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1316514136' post='1378929']
Right there with you on this. I'm looking forward to airing my Basic PM for the first time in ages tonight.
[/quote]

Hmmmm....... I've just been eyeing up a Ken Taylor in Virgin White high gloss again....... just when I thought I was GAS free!

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1316520040' post='1379037']
I got a bit tempted yesterday and contacted the bloke on Gumtree about his Basic......... thankfully it's identical to mine, so I'm not interested!

I know it may not be what Silddx is after, but that bass is a seriously good buy for someone at £400! He sent me a pic and it does look in VGC and has a nice grain pattern.
[/quote]

Christ, there's a blue one on ebay for £700.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1316547913' post='1379598']

Christ, there's a blue one on ebay for £700.
[/quote]

Yes I've seen it and have a look at the other one that same seller has for sale (5 strings California VM "was PM")

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sandberg-California-PM-5-String-3-Tone-Sunburst-/270816925285?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f0df25665"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sandberg-California-PM-5-String-3-Tone-Sunburst-/270816925285?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f0df25665[/url]

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1316548870' post='1379628']

.. have a look at the other one that same seller has for sale (5 strings California VM "was PM")

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sandberg-California-PM-5-String-3-Tone-Sunburst-/270816925285?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f0df25665"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f0df25665[/url]
[/quote]

Eurgh, 5 strings and sunburst, what less do you want :)