Why become a member? ×

I have an audition tomorrow evening......

SlackAlice

Well, in my quest to start gigging again after a long break (8 years), I have an audition with a band tomorrow evening. Have spoken to the lead guitarist who's assures me there are no egos within the group - just what I'm after! They are also recruiting a new drummer & keyboards so I understand the group is starting 'afresh' as it were.

Songs they are currently getting up to speed with include: Sweet Home Chicago, The Thrill Has Gone, Mr. Big, I Got You (I Feel Good), Pride & Joy, I Wish & Still Got the Blues. Will keep to the 12 bar blues theme and run through Sweet Home Chicago and Pride & Joy for the audition............

I'm excited at the possibility of being in a band again but also very nervous - will be playing blues lines through my mind while I attempt to sleep tonight I think!!! :)

As this is my first audition for 16 years I'm a tad rusty with my approach. Any advice would be greatly received!!

.........and a cheeky request but if anyone has the notation to any of the above tunes that they could send me please I'd be forever in your debt!!! :)

Angie

Edited by SlackAlice

Have fun, obviously play as solid as you can, no need to over play

Remember, you are also auditioning them, they might not be at your standard or they might be tossers

Hopefully, they'll be a nice bunch and you'll form a good band

--

Cant help with notation as I dont read, but they are easy enough tunes to work out, there will be chord charts and tab online though if you need some pointers

Unless you can easily play some of those in different keys, maybe check what keys they use so you dont get caught out on the day

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' post='1370916' date='Sep 12 2011, 07:09 PM']Have fun, obviously play as solid as you can, no need to over play

Remember, you are also auditioning them, they might not be at your standard or they might be tossers

Hopefully, they'll be a nice bunch and you'll form a good band[/quote]
Indeed.

Went to one yesterday. Refreshed my mind with what I had worked out the night before (proggy It Bites etc some of which I did not really know). Had the tracks on a memory stick playing on the way down in the morning. Set up. Had a blast. Packed up. ****ed off. Seemed a nice bunch. We shall see.

Just enjoy

Just do as much practice as you can so you don't need to think too much about the songs. I know it's short notice but if you get the chance to try some of their other proposed songs that'll really impress them too. Beyond that just enjoy it and be yourself. I always found the prospect of auditions a little nerve racking but if they're anything other than really nice to you then they're not worth worrying about. When we last auditioned people we had to impress them as well so they'll be under a little extra pressure too.

Best of luck I'm sure you'll knock em dead.

Many thanks for the encouragement guys - much appreciated.

[quote name='lojo' post='1370916' date='Sep 12 2011, 07:09 PM']Have fun, obviously play as solid as you can, no need to over play

Hopefully, they'll be a nice bunch and you'll form a good band

--

Unless you can easily play some of those in different keys, maybe check what keys they use so you dont get caught out on the day[/quote]

Too right! I followed your advice regarding keys as for Stevie Ray Vaughan's 'Pride & Joy' I believe he down tuned to Eb........I checked with the lead guitarist and they play it in E.......I know it's only half a step but I'm glad I checked - thanks for giving me the heads up Lojo! :)

[quote name='WalMan' post='1370929' date='Sep 12 2011, 07:14 PM']Indeed.

Went to one yesterday. Refreshed my mind with what I had worked out the night before (proggy It Bites etc some of which I did not really know). Had the tracks on a memory stick playing on the way down in the morning. Set up. Had a blast. Packed up. ****ed off. Seemed a nice bunch. We shall see.

Just enjoy[/quote]

Hope you get the gig WalMan! I'll be listening to the tracks as I work today and just hope they sink in. Last night I worked out the chords for all the tunes they listed....so hopefully I will be able to play along with the ones I haven't learned, even though it may be just roots, 3rds & 5ths for tonights session.

Thanks again guys for your help - will report back later this evening. :)

Angie

Edited by SlackAlice

What I`ve always done for auditions is:

Aim to be 20 mins early, that way if there`s traffic probs, yr still on time.
Make sure you know what key the songs are going to be played in, if covers
Make sure yr familiar with the songs, and if you can`t get any "fiddly bits" know what you`ll put in, in their place
If covers, make sure you know the way the band do them - do they drop verses/add choruses, or keep them to the original recording
Make sure your gear is all working - may seem obvious, but I`ve seen auditions where it wasn`t
Chat - a good attitude and a smile helps greatly
Elaborate when chatting, as well as your bass-playing, why yr good for the band - transport/no job issues, previous experience etc, anything that`s relevant
Ask for a 5 mins "run through" with the drummer only, to get the feel of his/her playing, and also to sort yr levels

Lastly, play with a smile - and good luck!

I have learnt Sweet Home Chicago on my first rehearsal and its one of those songs thats really easy if the rest of the band are good - you just feel the changes and its basic blues in E I thought adding a walking bass bit in the break down always sounds quite good as well. I might have a chord chart or something at home, although I wont be home until about 7 tonight so it might be a bit late. Also if your looking for chord charts on the internet remember several bands have done this and I think there may be small differences ( we did the Clapton version )