Why become a member? ×

Recommend Me A Microphone Please...

bassjamm

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a microphone to set up and use as a stand along recording mic. So, one mic in a room to capture everything going on. I'll be using it mainly for recording the audio for videos, which will be me playing bass and talking over the top and in between lines etc. I'll also be using it for rough capturing jams with other musicians.

I've currently got the use of a Diaphragm mic but I think it's pretty shoddy, or giving up on me. It's an Alctron MC001.

Would a Diaphragm mic be the weapon of choice d'you think? If not that, then what else?

As for a budget, I've no idea what to allow. But I'd rather spend less than £100. I'd happily buy second hand, unless otherwise instructed.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Jamie

[quote name='noelk27' post='1370601' date='Sep 12 2011, 03:48 PM']Take a look at the Rode M3 as a suitable all-rounder that's within your budget. You could also look for the likes of an SE Electronics SE2 (as this had interchangeable capsules, which adds to its flexibility). Being a superseded model you can find this relatively inexpensively NOS.[/quote]

Try DV247 for these, they often have Rode and SE stuff at silly prices.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I've quite puzzled as to what's going on with my mic to be fair. It was working perfectly last week. If anything, it was working too well as it was providing too hot a signal to the Line 6.

Now, it's hardly picking up a thing. One side of the mic seems to be working better than the other. Is that normal with Diaphragm mics?

Jam

You could do a lot worse thasn [url="http://www.studiospares.com/mics-condenser/studiospares-s1100-condenser-mic-only/invt/449010/?htxt=CKPKL0mKz9zRvzfmVnrfp36xYvLn1r4BDOCe18OUJ7QDggE%2FpY2j5xSoxjh7FC5LFj41qKWyHKLH%0AOjlySxJ7wA%3D%3D"]give this a go[/url] its about £65 for a studiospares 'own brand' omni large diaphragm condensor. Which whilst it wont set the big studio guys quivering, should do a sight better than what you have been using....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably a bit late with this one but....

If your budget can stretch, a RODE NT4 mic is a good option. I got one for £250 secondhand. Its actually a two mics in one, set up in an X - Y config which is great for stereo mic'ing. This mic is usually used for drum overheards, choirs and acoustic sessions for a pro quality stereo recording. Well worth checking out.

Edited by WHUFC BASS