Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mic advice/help?

clarkpegasus4001

I use an industry standard Shure SM58 mic for vocals. Most but not all places we play tend to be pubs and small clubs. I like my mic but.....at some venues where space is a premium the mic stand sometimes gets knocked about, i've even had folks singing down the mic doing a bl**dy karaoke at the interval cheeky bu*gers! (cuz I forgot to mute it on the mixer) :) Quite a while ago I saw Sammy Hagar using what appeared to be a wireless mic, the one that goes over your head, which freed him up for playing and moving about. It got me thinking that this could be the solution.
Question...are these any good?, if yes, what would you recommend?and what extra equipment would I need? I use a Yamaha powered mixer at the mo'. I'm ok at the minute, but I may pick something up maybe next year? Do they feedback? pop? crackle? pack up?
Any help/advice i'd be very grateful...over to you guy's.

Sennheiser do some good radio microphones. It's the same set up as a guitar transmitter type system. Headset into transmitter; receiver, via xlr into desk. Adjust levels to suit venue etc.
The one thing to watch out for is the frequency of your transmitter receiver. The government are selling off some/most of the frequencies covered by some of the units. It may be worth looking at going digital, but it may cost you.

[quote name='yorick' post='1366014' date='Sep 8 2011, 07:21 AM']Sennheiser do some good radio microphones. It's the same set up as a guitar transmitter type system. Headset into transmitter; receiver, via xlr into desk. Adjust levels to suit venue etc.
The one thing to watch out for is the frequency of your transmitter receiver. The government are selling off some/most of the frequencies covered by some of the units. It may be worth looking at going digital, but it may cost you.[/quote]

Thanks! :) but what model Sennheiser would you recommend? What kind of price are we taking here?
cheers Tony.

Edited by clarkpegasus4001

If space is tight,you can always have the boom coming from the side-it makes it a little less likely
to get knocked. Also,if you are concerned about people thinking they can have a go,simply remove the
mic from the stand when you're not playing.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1366925' date='Sep 8 2011, 08:27 PM']If space is tight,you can always have the boom coming from the side-it makes it a little less likely
to get knocked. Also,if you are concerned about people thinking they can have a go,simply remove the
mic from the stand when you're not playing.[/quote]

Thanks for that advice. I have moved the mic boom and used it from the side before, I hit it myself. :) I always mute the mic on the mixer now at the interval and at the end of the set.

Yep, mic on mute when it`s not being used, and if anyone gets hold of any of the gear, mics/instruments etc, grab them and tell them to f*ck off. Might sound over the top, but people, no matter how p*ssed, need to know that the the equipment, and the stage area for that evening, is yours, and to not mess about with it.

Can also make for a good gig too. My old band had exactly the same thing happen, few drunk guys grabbing the mic - so we grabbed them, told them where to go. And all through the gig they were giving us daggers, so we gave it back, and as we were a punk band, it made us play great.

And at the end of the evening we simply asked them "are we mates now?" and they became our best mates for the eve. Think they respected the fact that we wouldn`t allow them to mess about with the gear.