Why become a member? ×

Preamps - what should i consider?

electric nate

Looking for a preamp to drive my QSC RMX2450 power amp.

I guess what i'm after is something that will just allow whatever I put in front of it to shine though. I play a fairly wide range of genres and I get most of my drastic tonal changes from pedals and settings on my bass, so I'm really just looking for something to help my sound reach the power amp. I'm not after massive tone shaping - but some kind of eq can be useful if I end up playing a boomy sounding room or an outdoor gig or something that requires a little tweak to retain clarity. This isn't a deal-breaker though cuz i can always buy a separate eq if needs be.

I really like what i've heard of the Avalon U5 but it's slightly pricey - especially with the rack mount kit, are there alternatives I should be considering? I'm open to any and all suggestions as long as they can drive a power amp, they don't have to be bass-specific, they just have to sound good :) .

You need to be aware of the ohm ratings and the wattage to make sure you don't overload whatever you're powering or underpower whatever you're sending in to it as from what I've heard, you can "strain" the equipment and damage it.

Also, if you're not really looking for something fancy, why don't you try getting a rack mount equaliser, run your bass into that then send the equaliser to the power amp. That's worked for me before on many occasions. Something like [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Behringer-Ultragraph-Pro-FBQ1502-15-band-Graphic-EQ-/130571620981?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Outboards_Effects_MJ&hash=item1e66acd275#ht_525wt_1139"]this[/url] will do the job. Just shape your EQ on that and your ready for action!

That's my two pence... haha

Edited by StevieD_FenderP2009

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1361987' date='Sep 4 2011, 06:02 PM']You need to be aware of the ohm ratings and the wattage to make sure you don't overload whatever you're powering or underpower whatever you're sending in to it as from what I've heard, you can "strain" the equipment and damage it.

Also, if you're not really looking for something fancy, why don't you try getting a rack mount equaliser, run your bass into that then send the equaliser to the power amp. That's worked for me before on many occasions. Something like [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Behringer-Ultragraph-Pro-FBQ1502-15-band-Graphic-EQ-/130571620981?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Outboards_Effects_MJ&hash=item1e66acd275#ht_525wt_1139"]this[/url] will do the job. Just shape your EQ on that and your ready for action!

That's my two pence... haha[/quote]

will an eq take an instrument level signal ok? and will it output a big enough signal for the power amp?

I used to use an Ampeg SVP-Pro in front of my PLX1202.
Alas, it proved to be utterly unreliable. Noisy and cut out/in again.
I've been using a cheapo 8/12 track mixer as a pre-amp with very good results. Cost me all of £80. Gives enough gain for passive basses. No noise. On one occasion, when my set-up was the only one in play, each of the three bands bassists had a channel each, eq'd to their liking. A very flexible way to do things- but not specifically "voiced" for bass, which can be a good thing. Nor is the U5 for that matter...

[quote name='electric nate' post='1362139' date='Sep 4 2011, 08:11 PM']will an eq take an instrument level signal ok? and will it output a big enough signal for the power amp?[/quote]

EQs are normally designed to be operating at Line level. There are a few exceptions, like the TC 1140 which are designed to take an instrument input AS WELL as a Line level, and has a preamp stage to drive power amps.

Some EQ's offer unto 12dB of gain, and will drive a power amp, but most proper preamps designed to feed a power amp will offer upto 40dB of gain to drive a power amp.

Well mine worked fine. I was running a passive Precision bass copy with seymour duncan spb-3's in to it then it went from the EQ to the power amp and out to a cabinet. I used that set up for 6 months while I didn't have an actual amp head. It was quite a good tone I got from it too. Just plugged the instrument in to the "input" of the equaliser then took a cable from the "output" of the equaliser into the input of the power amp.

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1362187' date='Sep 4 2011, 08:45 PM']Well mine worked fine. I was running a passive Precision bass copy with seymour duncan spb-3's in to it then it went from the EQ to the power amp and out to a cabinet. I used that set up for 6 months while I didn't have an actual amp head. It was quite a good tone I got from it too. Just plugged the instrument in to the "input" of the equaliser then took a cable from the "output" of the equaliser into the input of the power amp.[/quote]

It would work as a fix but it is not at optimum setting. You can us a cheap mixer, and that would work better to drive the power amp. A passive bass should be better matched with a DI if you want to preserve its original tonal spectrum, but if you don't , it would still work as a fix, but it is not ideal.

[quote name='bertbass' post='1365735' date='Sep 7 2011, 08:41 PM']In an emergency once I used a graphic eq pedal into a power amp and was very surprized by how good it sounded. I've got a Trace Elliott V type preamp but I don't like the sound of Trace Elliott.[/quote]
If you don't like it I'll have it.... :)

Mate, I have a tip for you.

If you're into the Avalon U5 kinda vibe, you should give the Focusrite Platinum Trakmaster Pro a try. Class A solid state preamp, like the U5, a very basic but quite effective eq, plus one of the best compressors out there. They have recently been discontinued, but you can find them often on ebay for cheap. Like [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOCUSRITE-TRACKMASTER-PRO-PLATINUM-/140601512440?pt=Midi_Controllers&hash=item20bc80d1f8#ht_500wt_1156"]this one[/url] for example. I have the dual channel version of this baby, the TwinTrak Pro, and I couldn't recommend it more. Great piece of gear!

Cheers

Edited by eddiehoffmann

Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys, I've done a lot of searching and research and trawling through youtube and basstasters and decided it HAS to be a U5, other preamps are great, nice tone, good features etc - but when I hear the U5 something just clicks and seems "right", it's the only one I keep coming back to. I've hopefully now got a sale arranged soon with a fellow BC member!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='electric nate' post='1369443' date='Sep 11 2011, 02:28 PM']Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys, I've done a lot of searching and research and trawling through youtube and basstasters and decided it HAS to be a U5, other preamps are great, nice tone, good features etc - but when I hear the U5 something just clicks and seems "right", it's the only one I keep coming back to. I've hopefully now got a sale arranged soon with a fellow BC member![/quote]

If I were not into ulra portable setups my preamp of choice would be the sansamp BDDI rackmount - would give you the best of clean and "valve" tones and anything in between.