Why become a member? ×

Profanity filter gone wrong?

mhuk

Have you just added a profanity checker?

it is replacing the " a- s- s " in words like be- a- s -s with [Myleen Kl[Myleen Kl[Myleen Kl[Myleen Klass]]]]es?

be[Myleen Kl[Myleen Klass]] be[Myleen Kl[Myleen Klass]] be[Myleen Kl[Myleen Klass]]

Try typing the name of the forum :)

be[Myleen Klass]chat

Edited by mhuk

LMAO

We're trying to sort out a profanity filter than uses [Blackpool rock]ney rhyming slang instead. But the sensitivity levels need a little work first.

You caught us with our army ants down :) Bear with us, we're still testing it.

Aha!

Was wondering why I had a PM that on first inspection I thought said

"Eh up wor lass" and then changed to "Eh up wor Myleene Klass" :) :huh:

Edited to add: its now gone back to "Eh up wor lass" - and I didn't feel a thing while you were doing it :huh:

Edited by Mrs Tinman

LMAO

It will probably have changed by now but the second paragraph of Tayste 2000's post on Tone Factor Pulp Mill in reviews is hilarious :huh: :huh: :huh:

Features such little gems as:

kitchen hob

horse and cart

licking a posterior opening (are you sure Mods ought to be condoning that sort of behaviour? :) :huh: )

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Edited by Mrs Tinman

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='15889' date='Jun 11 2007, 07:55 PM']LMAO

It will probably have changed by now but the second paragraph of Tayste 2000's post on Tone Factor Pulp Mill in reviews is hilarious :huh: :huh: :huh:

Features such little gems as:

kitchen hob

horse and cart

licking a posterior opening (are you sure Mods ought to be condoning that sort of behaviour? :) :huh: )

:huh: :huh: :huh:[/quote]

Ha ha ha ha ....... o dear, I've just [gypsy's kiss]ed me [leslie crowthers] at that post!

Hamster

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='15887' date='Jun 11 2007, 08:48 PM']Aha!

Was wondering why I had a PM that on first inspection I thought said

"Eh up wor lass" and then changed to "Eh up wor Myleene Klass" :) :huh:

Edited to add: its now gone back to "Eh up wor lass" - and I didn't feel a thing while you were doing it :huh:[/quote]

See, now we know that it affects PMs as well :huh:

[url="http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/english/a"]http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/english/a[/url]

Here's the dictionary I'm using as a guide, but it doesn't cover all the words my filthy mind can think up...

...we have two setting on the bad word filter. One is 'exact' the other is 'loose'. If '455' is loose then it will replace any occurance of that sequence of letters regardless of where they are in the text. If '455' is exact, it will only change it when it sees the whole word and nothing but the word.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='15901' date='Jun 11 2007, 09:14 PM'][url="http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/english/a"]http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/english/a[/url]

Here's the dictionary I'm using as a guide, but it doesn't cover all the words my filthy mind can think up...[/quote]

I see..

I need a new bass, my old one is totally daffy ducked! :)

To be honest, in order for a profanity filter to actually work, will it not need to also work with reference to context also?
For example, (and sorry if it's a bad one), if I was reading a post in which someone was talking about a drummer keeping time using [Sonny Jim] shots, I wouldn't know what he was talking about, and would stop reading the post.
Am I the only one thinking it's a wee bit excessive?
Sometimes posts are difficult enough to read without having random rhyming slang thrown in in brackets!
Andy

[quote name='Gazm' post='15986' date='Jun 11 2007, 11:49 PM']I agree, is there really a need for this?
Doesn't the report button allow for a bit of human (hopefully intelligent) intervention?

Pete.[/quote]

+1.

Surely we all know the rules and the etiquette. IMHO I'm not sure it's really necessary, I can't remember seeing any seriously bad language.

If you want to make the place look better (which you obviously do, judging by the swear filter) then also take measures to stop text speak,speaking all in capitals and gratuitous use of exclamation marks, smileys e.t.c. I've mentioned this before but got no 'official' comment.

The mods have had to intervene increasingly in the last 7 days on posts containing excessive bad language. I don't know why its suddenly increased but it has and the filter is a much easier way to manage it than manual intervention. The filter is there to catch slip ups and lapses, its not going to prevent full blooded spleen venting. So if you're really determined to swear then you will be able to find a way, but why would any decent, mature member want to do that here? There are other forums someone can do that in.

As for shouting and use of exclamation marks, incorrect use of the apostrophe, use of text speak split infinitives and anything that bothers Guardian readers :). No, we're not going to catching those but the mods do pick up on excessive use of caps when used by someone who appears to be less experienced in using a forum.

The final thing is that the filter has been set up with a list of about 30 standard terms, but it could be reduced down to about ten or so if, as andy_$$ points out, it gets in the way of posts. The filter has only just been set up and will require some tweaking to ensure it doesn't become disruptive, unfortunately, there's no way to do it offline.

So if you come up against a situation where you think that the filter has been unnecessarily disruptive to your otherwise normal use of the forum, drop me a PM and I'll have a look into it.

[quote name='Oxblood' post='16026' date='Jun 12 2007, 07:54 AM']...and this morning, CK, your sloganizer signature has chosen to say "Easy Basschat". Now there's irony for you.[/quote]

Its lost on me Ken. We're just trying to manage a forum here and its a tricky balance to achieve sometimes. Why not help us find the right balance, bearing in mind we have a range of experiences, backgrounds and levels of maturity?

[quote name='Toasted' post='16039' date='Jun 12 2007, 08:56 AM']This is such an [Aylesbury Ducking] [Jackie Brambles].

Seriously, I crack myself up sometimes.[/quote]

I like it :)

At this rate I'll understand what's being said next time I go down south.

Edited by tayste_2000