Why become a member? ×

to de-clutter or not to de-clutter?

bassist_lewis

not quite the right section but its vaguley applicable.

currently I have a nice Roland fp4 digital piano, it has some good sounds, weighted keys and its just nice to play and occasionally record with.

BUT

I haven't played piano seriously in 4 or 5 years, all i've used it for since is recording bits for uni work, the metronome and the odd plinkety-plonk. Seeing as I've graduated, there are smaller and more portable metronomes out there and I don't do gigs on keys i'm thinking about selling it.

This would take me a few steps closer to my purchase of a 6 string and free up some space (I'm aiming to move to London and I hear space is mighty expensive down there!).

HOWEVER

I know how important it is to expand your musical experience with other instruments, so would I be giving up a valuable musical resource?

any thoughts basschatters?

Depends on how much space you have and what type of personality you have.

The less stuff you have, the less there is to worry about. Also, as has been discussed many times on BC in relation to GAS, some BCers felt that their bass playing may have suffered as a result of having too many options or spending time looking for their next purchase rather than just practicing with what they already have.

For me, I cannot stand having stuff lying around that doesn't get regular use. I hate waste to the point where I can't buy things like blu rays / DVDs as I know they're only going to be watched a couple of times; it's possibly turning into a bit of an obsession, I should probably go an see someone about it. :)

I have recently come round to the "if you 'aint using it, sell it" school of thought. HOWEVER, now is a terrible time for selling gear so you might want to bear that in mind. Personally I would put a "for sale" ad up with a fixed price that you'd be happy with. If it sells, great. If it doesn't, just hang on to it. No need to give it away! :)

I once sold a load of music equipment (Roland R-8, Roland TR-707, TR-606, Novation Bass Station, Korg MS10, old analog drum brain and 4 Simmons pads) cheap, because I needed the room and some money.

I regretted it instantly. So now I only sell stuff if it's going to be replaced by something similar.

I know this is off topic but we're de-cluttering everything at the moment; shed, small bedroom, back room, loft, cupboards! I've found stuff I haven't seen for 25 years. I've had to hide a lot of it from the wife or it would all be recycled by now!

Our house is now twice the size, so de-cluttering is good.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1359818' date='Sep 2 2011, 01:20 PM']I know this is off topic but we're de-cluttering everything at the moment; shed, small bedroom, back room, loft, cupboards! I've found stuff I haven't seen for 25 years. I've had to hide a lot of it from the wife or it would all be recycled by now!

Our house is now twice the size, so de-cluttering is good.[/quote]

I spent about 6 months de-cluttering our house before the birth of my daughter. Did a good job, I'd say 3 large skip loads of stuff got given to charity, recycled or binned.
In the last 18 months my daughter's stuff has filled in all the space I made and more...
:)

Edited by bartelby