Why become a member? ×

P pickup for a Jazz?

Guest subaudio

Guest subaudio

Hi all

I have long loved the Jazz bass but really want to get the P bass sound going on, very much like the PJ precision basses I have tried but was wondering is it possible to add a pickup into the bridge pickup position on a Jazz bass that just slots in or would I need to get it routed for a regular P pickup?

[quote name='subaudio' post='1359106' date='Sep 1 2011, 06:48 PM']Hi all

I have long loved the Jazz bass but really want to get the P bass sound going on, very much like the PJ precision basses I have tried but was wondering is it possible to add a pickup into the bridge pickup position on a Jazz bass that just slots in or would I need to get it routed for a regular P pickup?[/quote]
Traditionally the P pup would go where the neck pup is. Either way it would need routing.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1359119' date='Sep 1 2011, 07:12 PM']Traditionally the P pup would go where the neck pup is. Either way it would need routing.[/quote]

Your absolutley right of course, that's what I meant to say :) oops, I've been playing double bass too long!
What I was rather badly attempting to ask was is there a pickup that will fit into a J pickup hole but that sounds and acts as a P pickup.

[quote name='subaudio' post='1359129' date='Sep 1 2011, 07:22 PM']Your absolutley right of course, that's what I meant to say :) oops, I've been playing double bass too long!
What I was rather badly attempting to ask was is there a pickup that will fit into a J pickup hole but that sounds and acts as a P pickup.[/quote]
You might get some joy out of a split coil J - Fralin for example.
The potential is there but I've not actually heard for myself how close they would be to a P to say go for it.

Guest subaudio

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1359133' date='Sep 1 2011, 07:27 PM']You might get some joy out of a split coil J - Fralin for example.
The potential is there but I've not actually heard for myself how close they would be to a P to say go for it.[/quote]

Cool thanks for that, will check them out now.

Anyone tried these or similar?

[quote name='subaudio' post='1359106' date='Sep 1 2011, 06:48 PM']Hi all

I have long loved the Jazz bass but really want to get the P bass sound going on, very much like the PJ precision basses I have tried but was wondering is it possible to add a pickup into the bridge pickup position on a Jazz bass that just slots in or would I need to get it routed for a regular P pickup?[/quote]

Don't butcher a Jazz. No need:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=125701"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=125701[/url]

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1359689' date='Sep 2 2011, 11:41 AM']Ahh yes well spotted. Well maybe he doesn't want that any more? We'll have to wait and see until he's next online so he can tell us.[/quote]

If he doesn't want it, I'll have it.

EDIT: No I won't! I have too many basses!

Edited by bremen

Fender Japan do make Jazzes with a Pbass pup, and they aren't Aerodynes.

A re-route would be hidden under the scratchplate and so wouldn't do all that much to the cosmetic value of the bass. I guess it depends on how intact and pristine someone wants to keep the Jazz body. The one I have has various knocks and scrapes (but looks fine from over 5 feet or so away), and so I've been thinking of getting it routed to fit a Pbass pickup. The trick then would be finsing a Jazz scratchplate with a Pbass pup hole - altho I guess one from an Aerodyne may suffice.

Guest subaudio

Thanks all :)

I have seen the Squire and it looks very nice, unfortunatley I can't afford that and the jazz type I have just about bought so will probably still be going down the trying to find a J shaped pickup that sounds like a P bass pickup, which I would prefer if poss over having to route a new P shaped hole in the bass.

If you put a Precision pickup where the Jazz neck pickup is you won't get the right sound anyway! The Precision pickup should go somewhere in between the Jazz pickups to get the Pbass sweet spot.

So put the Pbass pickups in the right place and you can add a switch to select Jazz, Precision and PJ configs. Then you can sound like any Fender that’s ever been made.