Why become a member? ×

Pre-amp recommendations

ficelles

Need a pre-amp to take live duties in place of my Raven Labs PMB-1 (it's old and no PSU so I'd rather reserve it for home use)... need a pedal or amp-top unit (i.e. not rackmount) that is designed for piezo input, has decent eq, can be mains powered, and has adjustable output that can boost up to line level.

Any suggestions?

ficelles

could i suggest the rather excellent Headway preamp-

[url="http://www.headwaymusicaudio.com/product_edb1_acoustic_preamp.php"]http://www.headwaymusicaudio.com/product_e...stic_preamp.php[/url]

i just happen to be selling my as new one for £145, if any good get in touch..

• 2 weeks later...

Actually still undecided here - the main thing the Raven Labs unit has which nothing I can so far find equals is the two independent channels each with full eq... plus of course individual and global fx loops. It really was quite inconsiderate of the maker to retire :)

The ToneBone PZ looks pretty good but still shared EQ.

Is there a neat little box out there anywhere with 2 fully-featured channels or maybe I should just get a small mixer?

ficelles

[quote name='Clarky' post='1370128' date='Sep 12 2011, 08:39 AM']Alternatively save up some more and buy a 2-channel 'doubling' amp - eg, Euphonic Audio Doubler or MarkBass Markacoustic. Won't need a separate preamp then and can flog your current amp to help pay for the incomer[/quote]

+1 or try to find a used Markbass LMK - great amps for doubling.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1370128' date='Sep 12 2011, 09:39 AM']Alternatively save up some more and buy a 2-channel 'doubling' amp - eg, Euphonic Audio Doubler or MarkBass Markacoustic. Won't need a separate preamp then and can flog your current amp to help pay for the incomer[/quote]

Thing is I like the amps and cabs I have... they just need more channels!

ficelles

And have a look at that EBS microbass if you need two different channels. I use(d) one for my project DB and I love it. Has many more inputs / outputs than the fishman, two inputs if you have two outputs, an effect loop, some cool distortion and, best of all, mute switch. I put the tuner on the link out so it's on all the time.

Fishman is the weapon of choice for anyone after a pure tone and the eq enables you to cut out that feedbacking frequency.

K&K Bassmaster is great for live performance rockabilly as you wear it on your belt.

You'll probably go through all of them and a couple of pickups on your journey.

Edited by janmaat