Why become a member? ×

Has anyone here had a custom bass built for them?

Evil Undead

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1348399' date='Aug 22 2011, 08:43 PM']May I ask, what are the advantages of having a custom build?[/quote]

Well it's custom! Thats the advantage, you can have a personal twist on on your favourite bass so say a neckthrough Jazz bass for example

or something no one else makes so a totally custom shape with custom wound pickups for you with what you like!

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1348556' date='Aug 22 2011, 11:12 PM']Ok here's one - and this is the thing that I would be most interested in hearing about - what if a custom build doesn't turn out exactly as you hope?

Has this happened to anyone?[/quote]

It shouldn't happen with a good builder as they will have spoken to you about your requirements, and kept in touch with you as the build develops. The specs on my Shuker were tweaked a bit as the build went along.

More likely is that your requirements or tastes will change after you've had the bass a while - but that's GAS for you!

[quote name='Johnston' post='1348415' date='Aug 22 2011, 08:57 PM']Is it as high as that. I was reading the other day it was 2.7% the HMRC website has it at 3.2-3% but it's been a few years since it was updated.[/quote]

We're only talking about a c.1% difference here :). The biggest chunk is the 20% VAT which is added to the total value of the import (item plus freight plus insurance plus duty).

Great advice in here, and some great builders mentioned above.

In answer to the original question, I have two custom basses built by Wood&tronics (based in Italy) one fretted and one fretless. The fretless was totally custom and the fretted has the specs I would've ordered but had already been built before I bought it. The totally custom fretless is the greatest bass I've ever played. I've not had GAS for any basses since.

Regarding luthiers in other countries, I don't think there's anything wrong with opting for such luthiers, but you need to be able to check out multiple examples of their work beforehand. If you don't want to run the risk of being disappointed you need to be choosing the luthier based on the work they produce and not on their prices or purely aesthetic appearance. A great place to do this is Bass Direct, because you can try loads of different basses from many different companies side-by-side and work out which features/companies/styles/sounds etc you like/dislike. You might even find an off-the-shelf one there that is exactly what you're after - that's what happened when I went looking for the fretted 5 string I now have. I didn't rush into it though, I played it afew times and waited about 3-4 months before I finally bought the thing.

I went with Wood&tronics because their vision for the instrument showed in all of the examples I tried (even the ones I didn't want to own) and I knew they would be able to produce the type of instrument I was after. I didn't need to fly to Italy to sort it out, but I did need to do the background work beforehand to be confident with the luthier I was choosing to work with.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1348556' date='Aug 22 2011, 11:12 PM']Ok here's one - and this is the thing that I would be most interested in hearing about - what if a custom build doesn't turn out exactly as you hope?

You know plenty enough about my custom, Mel. The thing I would say is, don't deviate too much from something you have played in your design. Mine was just a custom top wood, I therefore knew I was getting the exact same great sounding body wood, neck, fretboard and electronics combination I fell in love with in the shop (over a number of visits and try outs). I'm not saying you can't change one or two things, but as soon as you start messing about with something because you've heard it sounds good, rather than because you know you like it on a bass, you will get back something which you're not expecting. I'm not saying don't be adventurous, but don't go for stuff for the sake of it, and just because the optional extra costs extra, doesn't make it any good for your bass!

IMO this is all part of a philosophy I have on design in general. I think that design evolves gradually and that it isn't an instant process. Whilst this doesn't endear itself to your bank manager, with you buying slightly different (custom or not) basses through the years, it does mean that you learn something from each one and can improve on your next one with this knowledge.

As for the benefits of a custom build:
Owning something unique is fantastic. I can't stress it enough.
It's hand-built, almost always by someone who knows what they're doing - something you'll rightly pay through the nose for.
IMO it's worth more than a 'unique' instrument where someone has modded the hell out of an off the shelf bass.

Downside:
Hard to sell if you ever want/need to.
It becomes harder to sell the more obscure the bass and more personalised the designs (DON'T get your initials at the 12th fret lolololololol), a 6 string lined fretless singlecut monster made with all sorts of exotic woods and electronics may just take a while to find the right buyer.

Many times! Just look through the for slae thread and you'll find a good few!

I think a look through the Build Dairy Forum followed by the For Sale Forum will show that this happens quite often.

If you pick your luthier carefully and spend time considering what you really want out of a bass then at the end of the process you should come away with a bass that right for you at that time.

What happens though is that people change over time and what you want out of an instrument now might not be what you want in a few years time if your musical tastes change. It may also depend on your financial situation. I'm lucky in that I don't have to sell one bass before I can buy another otherwise, my Sei fretless which is a fantastic bass would have been moved on by now as it doesn't really have a place in any of my current musical endeavours. However that's not to say that next year it won't be exactly the right bass to be using again. For instance my Overwater which hadn't been getting a lot of use since 2000, is now my main bass for my covers band.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Johnston' post='1349014' date='Aug 23 2011, 02:18 PM']It's 1% that could make a difference :) then I'm not sure do you pay another 20% on that 1%?[/quote]

Yes.

The total amount payable on an imported good = ((FOB price plus freight plus insurance) plus import duty) plus VAT plus carrier handling fee.

In other words, import duty is applied to the total value of the shipment, including transport and insurance costs. VAT is then added to that lot. The carrier, eg FedEx, will make a charge for clearing it through customs on your behalf, hence the taxes will be payable to the carrier, not direct to HMRC.

I had a bass built by Bud LeCompte in Texas -- based purely on how it looked and his reputation on Talkbass.

This was four years ago, when there were two dollars to the Pound and I had money to spend. I budgeted for the tax, VAT and a flight case.

Bud did a great job, kept me updated with photos and delivered more or less on time. I still love the bass -- it's light, well balanced, plays nicely and looks lovely.

I'd say getting a custom abroad is fine if you have the cash and are willing to take a risk on how it will turn out.

Here's the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=46&hl=LeCompte"]build diary[/url]

Not my bike, sadly :)

Cheers

Mark

One of the reasons i went for a custom was to celebrate my 50th. Couldn't think of anything else i really wanted.
Its a big cost and not something i would do too often.

I'm pretty sure i could have picked up a 2nd hand bass for far less but that wouldn't have had my own personal touch on the completed bass and therefore would probably feel more like an off the shelf bass.

There are probably many reasons why someone will opt for a custom build and everyone has their own opinions.

Just make sure its exactly what you want and don't be pushed into what's easier for the luthier unless its genuine advice that he reckons would not work on that particular style of bass.
That's where you need to feel that the luthier is working for you and is genuine, honest guy.

Good luck and hope you get the bass you want.

Nothing better than your very own custom bass - Mmmmmm

Cheers
Dave
:)

I've had several over the years - three Seis and a GB (I still own two of the Seis), as well as a custom touchstyle guitar and EUB. I think the important thing, as has been said already, is to pick your luthier based on them having a design and construction method (ie, bolt-on, through-neck, etc) that you already broadly approve of and is maybe 75% there before you specify any options. Then tell the luthier what you're after in terms of appearance, tone and feel, and let them do the rest.

My first custom Sei suffered because I specified too much, thinking I knew exactly how all the pieces would sound and feel when they were put together - I was wrong. For the subsequent Seis, I gave Martin a broad outline of what I was after and let him fill in the blanks, and it worked brilliantly. Basically, trust your luthier and go with their suggestions - they're professionals for a reason.

If it doesn't turn out the way you want it, depending on exactly how customised it is, you should be able to sell it, although don't expect to get back what you paid for it. Custom basses are not an appreciating commodity like an old Fender.

Also, frankly, you get what you pay for. A "cheap" custom bass will probably have had corners cut somewhere. The parts used to make an instrument cost a certain amount of money, then once you factor in the time spent on making it, finishing costs, etc, there's a minimum price that can be charged in order to make any profit at all. For something like a custom Jazz Bass, you could expect the lowest possible cost to be somewhere around £8-900, and that's before adding figured woods, upgraded pickups/electronics and so on. Even if you buy the parts yourself from Warmoth, it'll still be around that price, if not more.

You can get the odd bargain though - I got the touchstyle guitar (think Chapman Stick) and EUB from Kevin from Krappy Guitars in New Jersey, and he's very cheap. His trick is that he makes no bones about the fact that his instruments have no bells and whistles, no fancy woods or finishes or good electronics - the stuff he makes is definitely very "niche" and he actually uses that as a selling point (the company name says it all). They do have a charm of their own though, and he's willing to try his hand at anything. Both the instruments he made for me are great, even with their (literal, in some cases) rough edges.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1348783' date='Aug 23 2011, 10:42 AM']I think a look through the Build Dairy Forum followed by the For Sale Forum will show that this happens quite often.

If you pick your luthier carefully and spend time considering what you really want out of a bass then at the end of the process you should come away with a bass that right for you at that time.

What happens though is that people change over time and what you want out of an instrument now might not be what you want in a few years time if your musical tastes change. It may also depend on your financial situation. I'm lucky in that I don't have to sell one bass before I can buy another otherwise, my Sei fretless which is a fantastic bass would have been moved on by now as it doesn't really have a place in any of my current musical endeavours. However that's not to say that next year it won't be exactly the right bass to be using again. For instance my Overwater which hadn't been getting a lot of use since 2000, is now my main bass for my covers band.[/quote]

+1

Picking the right luthier and you both being on the same page requirements wise is crucial. Knowing your sonic requirements and playing style is critical, especially if you're going to go with something out of the ordinary. The amount of choice regarding woods, electronics and pickups is vast, so going into the build with firm ideas/requirements is essetial.

Oh.....and based on the experience of someone i know at uni....being willing to listen to the luthier if he advises against something/recommends something different is usually a good idea