Why become a member? ×

Kubicki Ex Factor 1989 (Non Fender) Black 4 String F/S - On Hold till Monday

CyberBass

Up for auction is my fantastic bass guitar that is an absolute joy to play. This has been my main bass for a few years now and fancy a change due to a change in music direction.
She is a 1989 Kubicki Ex Factor 4 String (not fender model), it plays absolutely beautifully it has a brand new set of propper Kubicki Steel Strings on her and I also have a brand new set of Kubicki nickel strings as spare worth £30 plus shipping. I bought the strings directly from Philip Kubicki, who is very aproachable and helpful. I have an invoice for 2 sets of strings (£75 inc shipping), along with Phils business card. You can use standard strings and cut them down to size, however I chose to buy kubicki own make.
It is not mint, not a collectors bass, but an excellent player. It has been used and there are a few chips, marks and at some point in it's life has been dropped which has caused a couple of splits on the end where the battery compartment edge (Not noticeable when playing) and a split by the control knobs, this is purely cosmetic (See pictures) and there is absolutely nothing wrong with her she plays like a dream and sounds awesome. None of the imperfections have occured since I have owned her. All the electrics work fine, no scratchy/noisy pots etc. The paint on the pots are slightly worn and I have put tiny spots of black nail varnish to some paint chips on the body. The back of the neck varnish has worn over a period of time and is a nice silky satin feel which makes the neck very fast. I also have an electrostatic back protector on the back of the body to avoid additional wear and tear to the rear, this comes off no problem. This is the 18v Non Fender Model. I have always kept her in a gator hard case, safe and sound (Gator Case not included). It is by far the nicest bass I have owned. . And believe me I have owned some beauts, including a lovely 1979 Fender precision. Like I said it's not a show piece but a real pleasure to play bass.

Here are some details:

If you would like to "D" tune your "E" string almost instantaneously, without changing string tension and not having to transpose, then the Ex Factor is your only choice.The Ex Factor extended string bass and Factor 4 got its name from ergonomics, the study of the relationship between people and their working environment. Also known as Human Factors, this science was the foundation for the engineering parameters and the inspiration for the name.
Function and balance were addressed by designing a body mounted tuner/bridge module to redistribute weight, making them absolutely not head heavy. Tuning knobs mounted at comfortable 35 degrees from the body make tuning easy, fast, and accurate.
The Ex Factor bass hangs perfectly balanced around your body, in the proper playing position keeping player fatigue to a minimum. Because you're using less energy to keep your bass in a natural playing position, you'll find playing less tiring and more inspired.
The Ex Factor 4 string bass has a 32" scale and allows the "E" string to be released to a longer "D" length of 36".The Ex Factor bass has a 32" scale and a 36" extended string. The shorter scale requires the use of a slightly heavier gauge string. The 32" scale is 6 per cent shorter than a 34" scale with a net loss of 6 per cent tension.
Electronics Stocked with volume/blend, bass/treble pots, and six position rotary switch, you are provided with three pre-set passive, two fully adjustable active tone circuits and a standby mode, giving you all the tones you want. All Factor basses have the same Kubicki engineered and manufactured circuit boards. Powered by two 9 volt alkaline batteries, the system will provide 1000 hours of service.

Active Pickups
The special humcancelling™ pickups on your Kubicki bass work as either active or passive pickups, depending on how the active electronics controls are set. They are fully adjustable for height and tilt. Pickups plug into the circuit board.

The Laminated
Neck Because there are no keys on the headstock to counteract the weight of a vibrating string, the neck had to be made stiffer. I wanted to avoid graphite because it's not adjustable with a truss rod and is more expensive than a 34 laminate neck. Laminates are perpendicular to the ebony fingerboard so this accumulated glue joint tension make the necks unwilling to twist.

Here is a link to the site:
[url="http://www.kubicki.com/about.php"]http://www.kubicki.com/about.php[/url]
[attachment=87416:DSC00499.JPG][attachment=87417:DSC00500.JPG][attachment=87418:DSC00501.JPG][attach
ment=87418:DSC00501.JPG][attachment=87419:DSC00502.JPG][attachment=87420:DSC00504.JPG][attachment=87
21:DSC00506.JPG][attachment=88873:battery_...partment.jpg][attachment=88875:edge_split.jpg][attachme
nt=88876:kubicki_edge.jpg]
[b]Here's a youtube video of Vail Johnson playing a kubicki. I am not a slap bassist but thought this clips will give you a tone taster:[/b]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k3kqYDm44M"]Vail Johnson playing Kubicki[/url]
[b]Price reduced too £700 inc hardcase and UK Delivery [/b]:-)
[b]Bit More Info:
Loads of wear left on the frets.
No dents on back of neck, it's constructed in such a way it would be difficult to dent, however as stated in the ad the varnish has worn away making it very silky and fast neck.
The fingerboard is ebony.
Neck width at it's widest point is approx 60mm and at it's narrowest 42mm and the depth of neck is approx 25mm. I have very small hands and it plays fast.
The neck because of it's construction is very strong and stable, there are pictures of Philip kubicki standing on a neck in his workshop, however, I haven't tried this myself.
String spacing is approx 10mm at the nut and 15mm at the base of the neck.
More info can be found on the kubicki site there is a load of info and tech specs etc.[/b]

Edited by CyberBass

1603 July 1989
[quote name='Chris2112' post='1346035' date='Aug 20 2011, 06:15 AM']Yes, what is the serial? I used to own #1777 and #1659, which were both 1989 'crossover' models using the original Kubicki parts as opposed to the Fender item.[/quote]

[quote name='CyberBass' post='1345976' date='Aug 19 2011, 11:59 PM']Yes, looking for something along the lines of a Fender Jaguar, Aerodyne or Fender Mustang bass, with a bit of cash my way. Also happy to sell.[/quote]

Just FYI really - the Coda boys are very good to deal with too, ask for Doug:

[url="http://www.coda-music.com/product_info.php?cPath=170&products_id=10809"]http://www.coda-music.com/product_info.php...oducts_id=10809[/url]

Bumpety Bump with additional info as requested:

Loads of wear left on the frets.
No dents on back of neck, it's constructed in such a way it would be difficult to dent, however as stated in the ad the varnish has worn away making it very silky and fast neck.
The fingerboard is ebony.
Neck width at it's widest point is approx 60mm and at it's narrowest 42mm and the depth of neck is approx 25mm. I have very small hands and it plays fast.
The neck because of it's construction is very strong and stable, there are pictures of Philip kubicki standing on a neck in his workshop, however, I haven't tried this myself.
String spacing is approx 10mm at the nut and 15mm at the base of the neck.
More info can be found on the kubicki site there is a load of info and tech specs etc.