Why become a member? ×

Walter Woods Amp

jamesugster

Hi All,

I'm currently selling a Walter Woods Amp up on Ebay...

Obviously, these are wonderful handmade American amps. I estimate mine was made sometime in the '80s.

I'm getting asked a lot of questions which i'm not 100% of the answer for... does anybody either have any detailed info (like an old catalogue or manual) or perhaps know of a good website? google isn't throwing too much up! I've just used the amp over the years and some of the exact specs i don't know.

Any help would be most appreciated...

Thank you

JAMES

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='155517' date='Mar 11 2008, 08:10 PM']what happens if the amp breaks down?[/quote]

You take it to a tech and get it fixed. That's what normal people do. I guess there's always the option of praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that it will work again.

Will deinfitely have a good look at the American Forum....

They aren't that well know over here... but I know a select bunch of players are in to them.

I'm sure there wouldnt be a problem getting an English amp repairer to have a look at it. I've had my mesa boogie service in the uk before!

[quote name='Toasted' post='155544' date='Mar 11 2008, 08:48 PM']You take it to a tech and get it fixed. That's what normal people do. I guess there's always the option of praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that it will work again.[/quote]

[quote name='Toasted' post='155544' date='Mar 11 2008, 08:48 PM']You take it to a tech and get it fixed. That's what normal people do. I guess there's always the option of praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that it will work again.[/quote]

Mean bastard! :)

You really made my day with that.

He's (CK) got a point - WW has a reputation for being hard to contact, secretive of his designs etc. Some say he's great, will fix anything he's ever made..puts circuit plans inside the amp....others say he never answers the phone, scratches part numbers off componenets etc and frequently changes designs even within the same "model". If I owned one I'd make sure I made contact with him, just to see if he'd be helpful here in the UK.

BB

Edited by BassBod

[quote name='jamesugster' post='155498' date='Mar 11 2008, 07:34 PM']Hi All,

I'm currently selling a Walter Woods Amp up on Ebay...

Obviously, these are wonderful handmade American amps. I estimate mine was made sometime in the '80s.

I'm getting asked a lot of questions which i'm not 100% of the answer for... does anybody either have any detailed info (like an old catalogue or manual) or perhaps know of a good website? google isn't throwing too much up! I've just used the amp over the years and some of the exact specs i don't know.

Any help would be most appreciated...

Thank you

JAMES[/quote]
Have a word with Rhino on here, he's got a Walter Woods and knows some stuff about them.

[quote name='BassBod' post='155795' date='Mar 12 2008, 10:03 AM']He's (CK) got a point - WW has a reputation for being hard to contact, secretive of his designs etc. Some say he's great, will fix anything he's ever made..puts circuit plans inside the amp....others say he never answers the phone, scratches part numbers off componenets etc and frequently changes designs even within the same "model". If I owned one I'd make sure I made contact with him, just to see if he'd be helpful here in the UK.

BB[/quote]
Nice to see a reasonable and mature response to my question at last.

Can the amp be fixed in the UK or does it have to go back to Walter?

[quote name='Toasted' post='156402' date='Mar 13 2008, 12:19 AM']What's unreasonable / immature about taking a broken amp to a tech? It's basic logic, my man.[/quote]

The general understanding of Walter's work is that it's a step or two beyond the skills of most repair guys. Supposedly he's got a lot of stuff in there that most guys simply can't get their heads around.

Now, I have absolutely NO technical skill, so I really can't comment on how valid those claims are. It may be myth, it may be true, but it's definitely the way his gear is perceived in the bass community. Maybe you're right, maybe the average repair guy might just laugh at those claims, but I can see where CW is coming from.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='156461' date='Mar 13 2008, 07:38 AM']The general understanding of Walter's work is that it's a step or two beyond the skills of most repair guys. Supposedly he's got a lot of stuff in there that most guys simply can't get their heads around.[/quote]

That has to be just marketing hype / people justifying expensive amps to themselves "it sounds better because WW is so faaaar oooout maaaaang". There's only so complicated a circuit can get, and even if he is scratching values off components there's still tried and tested, fast and simple ways to diagnose them - which all amp techs worth their salt know.

[quote name='Toasted' post='156477' date='Mar 13 2008, 09:52 AM']That has to be just marketing hype / people justifying expensive amps to themselves "it sounds better because WW is so faaaar oooout maaaaang". There's only so complicated a circuit can get, and even if he is scratching values off components there's still tried and tested, fast and simple ways to diagnose them - which all amp techs worth their salt know.[/quote]

Yeah, I totally agree with your reasoning, I thought much the same thing. On the other hand, it's an opinion/perception that's existed for a long time, and a lot of people seem to think it's true. Like I said, I really don't know jack about such things, so I can see both sides of the argument.

Having said all that, I'd love to own one of his amps. I'm definitely going to watch this auction. I came close once before with an amp located in the US, but things didn't quite pan out for me.

Edited by bassaussie

I researched them a lot years ago - spoke to a few users etc. The outcome seemed to be that most people loved the amps and had no problems over many years. Those who had problems and managed to make contact with WW (usually in the states) were very happy with his work/turnaround time etc. There were a couple of people who had a bad time getting in contact or who were told their amp wasn't fixable (due to components being unavailable). The only person that can tell you seems to be WW himself.

Another interesting thing is that he really doesn't like fitting XLR DI outputs on his amps (though I think he has sometimes?). Instead he suggests a good passive transformer style box run out of a jack output from the amp. I used to think this was cranky....but a few years later I totally agree.

BB

WALTER WOODS AMPS
Hi,
Which model do you have ? It should have it on the underside.

Anyroad up, I can fax you / e-mail an "instruction manual" (3 pages) which includes a"schematic" diagram of the circuitry involved details of an amp tech in Bingley, Yorkshire, whom I would recommend wholeheartedly, and an address for WW in California.
Basically, you set the amp up as follows, input volume 3pm., master volume at 10am and the three tone pots at 12am/pm
I haven't had any trouble with the WW since I bought it but I wouldn't personally send the amp back to WW in fear of damage and theft whilst "en route"

As a matter of interest, I am using an Aerodyne Jazz bass into my WW MI 100-8 through two PJB 4B cabinets which sounds superb and I also have a PJB Suitcase combo which I can use singly or coupled up with a PJB 4B cabinet.
The difference in sound between WW and PJB is that the WW sounds more like a valve amp compared to the PJB 200 watt amp in the combo.

I hope I have been of help,

Rhino.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Toasted' post='160637' date='Mar 20 2008, 10:04 AM']Whoda thought it? A WW amp tech less than 10 minutes from where I live. Who is it? Surely not based at Spectre Sound?[/quote]

It's Ambertronics (Chris Taylor) 20, Clyde Street, Bingley. 01274 569295 www.ambertronics.co.uk

Cheers,

Rhino.