Why become a member? ×

Skinny 5/6 Strings

lyonk

So, after a year and a half, I've decided the neck on my Ibanez BTB775PB isn't for me. The BTB necks just seem to be too chuncky for me - my 5 string hurts my hands where a 6 string SR is fine. So I'm looking at offering it for trades for a similar value 5 or 6 string, but with a skinnier neck and tighter string spacing.

I already know that Ibanez SRs are a good match for me, but what other basses should I be on the lookout for? I've heard mixed reports about Warkwick necks - could a non-German Warwick work out well?

Thanks for suggestions.

5 string necks are something of a minefield. The string spacing really affects the feel I find. My three 5ers have vastly different neck profiles, I think owing to their string spacing. The reverse TB Pro-V for example has a wickedly huge string spacing, meaning the neck is really wide, but actually not very deep, so the profile feels very flat and the neck feels very thin. The non-reverse TB 5 has very tight string spacing so the neck isn't very wide, and as a result feels chunkier, but is possibly thinner than the other one.

I'm no expert on Warwick necks, though I know I love mine which is a newer German one.

Ibanez SR's are a great shout and some of the yamahas out there are sufficiently thin neck wise too.

[quote name='lyonk' post='1343246' date='Aug 17 2011, 03:18 PM']I already know that Ibanez SRs are a good match for me, but what other basses should I be on the lookout for? I've heard mixed reports about Warkwick necks - could a non-German Warwick work out well?[/quote]

Warwick necks are a bit of an odd one. The early ones (early Thumbs and Streamers) can be very slim. The ones later on were a little thicker, my 1999 BO Thumb had a wonderful neck. After the Millenium their necks became very fat and clubby, some of them were just outrageous and their change to a D profile as opposed to the earlier C shape didn't help. Their 5 and 6 string necks have always been what I would call substantial and having owned an Ibanez BTB405QM myself years ago, I'd put them in roundabout the same region of size.

I wouldn't advise going for a non-German Warwick though, as they are just not up to the standards of the proper German instrument. Don't compromise on quality merely for the size of a neck!

Thanks for the responses guys.

I mentioned the non-German Warwicks just because of trade value, unless you think my Ibanez is worth the real thing. I really like their body shapes, but I've only been able to try a Rockbass Streamer 4 string. I'm interested in Spectors aswell, but again, it's only 4 strings I can get around here. How do they fit in neck size/string spacing and value?

Spectors aren't particularly narrow. Delberthot is right about the mid 80's Yammie 5000's, and Steinberger XL25A's were similar, converted from a 4 string.

Many 5's from around the mid 80's have similar design approaches.

I played a Warwick Streamer 5 string once. Was very uncomfortable to play as I'm used to slim necks. I think it was manufactured in the last 5 years but don't hold me to that!

I find Peavey basses the nicest to play, and the tone is a lot more natural than that of the Ibanez SR series which always seem a bit... I don't know... thin and artificial? After an upgrade to passive Seymour Duncan Basslines my bass has amazing tone even for an instrument worth a few times its value!