Why become a member? ×

MarkBass and Stingray owners - what settings?

Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='1342896' date='Aug 17 2011, 11:11 AM']No worries, I think its been a great discussion and not only has it helped me, hopefully it will help others when searching. For me, learning about how the 2EQ preamp works was really helpful. As was how the low mids and VPF filters change the dynamics. All good.

I can now get back to doing what I do best, going fast in Gran Turismo 5 :)[/quote]

Need to find an evening for another race mate, this time I'll remember to put some soft tyres on my car (excuses excuses!)

[quote name='51m0n' post='1342901' date='Aug 17 2011, 11:13 AM']Need to find an evening for another race mate, this time I'll remember to put some soft tyres on my car (excuses excuses!)[/quote]

Yes we must. I will take a slower car this time so you can keep up. Maybe a 1.2 Fiesta or Polo :)

Another rehearsal tonight and will start off fully with no VPF filter and the last settings I posted above. I may also then try Pete's settings and go large with the bass on full on the Stingray. Either way I will record the sessions and may post some sound clips up to see what you think.

Ok, so here are two live recordinsg of a couple of song from tonights rehearsals. Not going to say which is which but both MarkBass combo and both the same Stingray. To be honest, I don't think there is much in it and that much noticable in overall tone. Just sounds like bass to me but then again it is recorded on a little Tascam recorder so not the best setup.

[attachment=87390:DR0000_0056_2.mp3]

[attachment=87391:DR0000_0054_1_1.mp3]

[quote name='Linus27' post='1344960' date='Aug 18 2011, 10:50 PM']Ok, so here are two live recordinsg of a couple of song from tonights rehearsals. Not going to say which is which but both MarkBass combo and both the same Stingray. To be honest, I don't think there is much in it and that much noticable in overall tone. Just sounds like bass to me but then again it is recorded on a little Tascam recorder so not the best setup.

[attachment=87390:DR0000_0056_2.mp3]

[attachment=87391:DR0000_0054_1_1.mp3][/quote]

I guess second one is flat... But like you said apples and pairs. The difference comes in when the little melody line comes in.
I prefer the second in that respect. My personal opinion is that that kinda of music is best suited to a phat warm P, but that's just me. Could you not have centered the bass track? I can't seem to hear it in my left, I would have also turned the guitar down a bit, but again like you said rough recording. With the guitar turned down a bit the lower end of bass maybe more audible, but this may not be a true representation of how the band sound loud at a gig.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1344997' date='Aug 18 2011, 11:54 PM']I guess second one is flat... But like you said apples and pairs. The difference comes in when the little melody line comes in.
I prefer the second in that respect. My personal opinion is that that kinda of music is best suited to a phat warm P, but that's just me. Could you not have centered the bass track? I can't seem to hear it in my left, I would have also turned the guitar down a bit, but again like you said rough recording. With the guitar turned down a bit the lower end of bass maybe more audible, but this may not be a true representation of how the band sound loud at a gig.[/quote]

Yes you are correct in the second one being flat :) No way to centre the bass track or turn guitar down in mix as this was just a digital recorder stuck in the room with record pressed so no more technical than an old tape recorder :) I also picked that track as it was the least complicated bass line with lots of space to let the notes be heard. I did start on a Precision and some songs it worked well on but I found the more intricate bass lines seemed to get a bit lost and the MarkBass and Precision combo did not marry up so well tonally. I will try again at some point.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='JTUK' post='1345045' date='Aug 19 2011, 07:13 AM']2nd track is far better.

But how it went down onto 'tape' and how it sounded out front may be two different things[/quote]

Ok, so thats the flat sound then. I must admit, the first track with full bass sounded fatter naturally but with a lot more growl to the ears but also a bit over bassy at times.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1345088' date='Aug 19 2011, 08:20 AM']Ok, so thats the flat sound then. I must admit, the first track with full bass sounded fatter naturally but with a lot more growl to the ears but also a bit over bassy at times.[/quote]

I would expect that...as there is a lot of boost on a MM bass control.
In reality, too much to be useable, flat out IMO, but +15db is probably not unique on pre's either.

2nd track is a lot better for me, I'm surprised by how much actually, I listened through the first one and really enjoyed it, lovely song, beautifully performed in both cases.

Back to the bass, the 2nd track is warmer and sits in the mix better, its lovely and strong, but round and plummy at the same time, really really dig it, very old school.

I would say I can hear the odd clack of the strings against frets in both, thats just how you play, its cool though, kind of reminiscent of someone digging in a bit on a db. Its not that toppy nasty metallic click (at least not on my cans), so much as a nice rhythmic chacchtk (?) sound.

Personally IMO you can not beat a little Tascam or Zoom type device in the room for this kind of attempt at objective analysis of a set up, if that means the bass is on the rhs of the recording, that fine, because, guess what, thats where the bnass was from the perspective of the device/someone standing where the dcevice was. Frighteningly honest those tools are, every band should have on and use it for this kind of documentation I think....

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' post='1345134' date='Aug 19 2011, 09:38 AM']2nd track is a lot better for me, I'm surprised by how much actually, I listened through the first one and really enjoyed it, lovely song, beautifully performed in both cases.

Back to the bass, the 2nd track is warmer and sits in the mix better, its lovely and strong, but round and plummy at the same time, really really dig it, very old school.

I would say I can hear the odd clack of the strings against frets in both, thats just how you play, its cool though, kind of reminiscent of someone digging in a bit on a db. Its not that toppy nasty metallic click (at least not on my cans), so much as a nice rhythmic chacchtk (?) sound.

Personally IMO you can not beat a little Tascam or Zoom type device in the room for this kind of attempt at objective analysis of a set up, if that means the bass is on the rhs of the recording, that fine, because, guess what, thats where the bnass was from the perspective of the device/someone standing where the dcevice was. Frighteningly honest those tools are, every band should have on and use it for this kind of documentation I think....[/quote]

Thanks Simon, really glad you liked it. So the second track is the flat settings as posted below,

Bass: 12 o' Clock (FLAT)
Mid Low: 10 o' Clock
Mid High: 12 o' Clock (FLAT)
Treble: 12 o' Clock (FLAT)
VLE Filter: OFF
VPF Filter: OFF

Stingray

Volume: Full
Treble: 60%
Bass: 20%

I also found this setting a lot rounder and seemed to have a more balanced tighter sound. When the bass was on full bass it seemed to go a bit growly which was nice but it lost that warm defined tone. HEHE I see you could here the clank. Something I have always struggled with on the Stingray although not so much now I have got somewhere with the tone. I spent 20 years playing guitar punk pop with a pick and used to play very hard, breaking strings quite regular. Now I play with fingers, I have had to really work on playing gently and not digging in so hard but occasionally I still do :) At least it does not sound that bad then :)

Thanks for listening.

I wonder whether that grind on the full bass is actually the stingray preamp breaking up a bit due to the level its trying to produce.

If the MB blue clip light is staying off then I would hazard a guess that that is the case. Could well be wrong though :)

Either way its no bad thing if its a sound that works right for you in any given situation, in this one I preferred the tone with the bass on the preamp dialled down.

Either way its lovely material, I'm sure it sounds fantastic live!

[quote name='51m0n' post='1345274' date='Aug 19 2011, 11:40 AM']I wonder whether that grind on the full bass is actually the stingray preamp breaking up a bit due to the level its trying to produce.

If the MB blue clip light is staying off then I would hazard a guess that that is the case. Could well be wrong though :)

Either way its no bad thing if its a sound that works right for you in any given situation, in this one I preferred the tone with the bass on the preamp dialled down.

Either way its lovely material, I'm sure it sounds fantastic live![/quote]

Yeah the blue light is off as I have the gain only set at around 10 - 11 o clock and the volume is set at about 8 or 9 o'clock. As you can tell, its 3 acoustic guitars with only one very slightly miced up. Plus 4 vocals which non of them are miced up.

Glad you like it, I might post up a couple more clips of different songs and see if you prefer the flat EQ over the bass boosted one.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1345293' date='Aug 19 2011, 11:52 AM']The main melody vocal and backingvocals/chord changes reminds me of Zepplin a bit - may be going mad though :))

Thats a compliment![/quote]

Cool, thank you. Personally I have not listened to any Zepplin but the two songwriters may have done. I am more into Pearl Jam, Starsailor, Natalie Imbruglia, jazz and a big helping of 80's pop :)

Edited by Linus27

Nice clips Linus :lol:

I have just done a gig in the park for the people queing for coaches for V festival and used the 1x12 cab and Im not sure it can take the bass on full that I advocate to everyone else :) When I use the 2x12 or even my old Ashdown rig they can produce all those lows nice and tight, the Genz 2x12T is an amazing cab in that respect but it get quite farty using this new 1x12 so the next time I use it I will try running the bass flat (or whatever on the indent may or may not mean) and see how it sounds. The Ampeg fans would probably like it but for a phat but smooth bass its not doing it. Anyone using a 2x10 or smaller cab set up will probably have similar issues trying to run flat out boosted bass but for those who say its unusable what you mean is you have not got a rig that can take it :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1345381' date='Aug 19 2011, 01:02 PM']Nice clips Linus :lol:

I have just done a gig in the park for the people queing for coaches for V festival and used the 1x12 cab and Im not sure it can take the bass on full that I advocate to everyone else :) When I use the 2x12 or even my old Ashdown rig they can produce all those lows nice and tight, the Genz 2x12T is an amazing cab in that respect but it get quite farty using this new 1x12 so the next time I use it I will try running the bass flat (or whatever on the indent may or may not mean) and see how it sounds. The Ampeg fans would probably like it but for a phat but smooth bass its not doing it. Anyone using a 2x10 or smaller cab set up will probably have similar issues trying to run flat out boosted bass but for those who say its unusable what you mean is you have not got a rig that can take it :D[/quote]

Groovy, thanks Pete. So it looks like I am sorted. A pretty much flat setup which thankfully sounds great also.

Thanks again everyone. Amazing input and what a great discussion we have all had. I have certainly learnt a hell of a lot and more importantly, found a way to finally use my Stingray. Only taken about 13 years :)

Was you using the Shuttle 6.0 with the bass on the Ray full?

I know weve discussed this before but if you put the bass on full with a Ray, say through the Rh450/750, Streamliner, or LM3, it really is insanely bassy.

The Shuttle 3.0 and 6.0 have a hi pass filter so they dont damage the small cabs/speakers they are mated with when it comes to the combos.

Obviously you can dial up bass etc, but it might be why you can go full tilt with it....although some people might just do it anyway! :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1345471' date='Aug 19 2011, 02:15 PM']Was you using the Shuttle 6.0 with the bass on the Ray full?

I know weve discussed this before but if you put the bass on full with a Ray, say through the Rh450/750, Streamliner, or LM3, it really is insanely bassy.

The Shuttle 3.0 and 6.0 have a hi pass filter so they dont damage the small cabs/speakers they are mated with when it comes to the combos.

Obviously you can dial up bass etc, but it might be why you can go full tilt with it....although some people might just do it anyway! :)[/quote]

I never really used the Ray with the Shuttle 6 or 9. The Shuttle 6 I only used my Precision with really and a little playing at home. The Shuttle 9 is even newer and has not been out of the house. I have only just started to use the Ray since getting the MB combo. I kind of new what tone could be had from the Ray as well as the general feeling that the MB gear works really well with a Ray but I had no idea how to get that tone or how the 2EQ preamp in the Ray worked. I do now though :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1345471' date='Aug 19 2011, 02:15 PM']Was you using the Shuttle 6.0 with the bass on the Ray full?

Obviously you can dial up bass etc, but it might be why you can go full tilt with it....although some people might just do it anyway! :)[/quote]

If anything Its the top end that fizzes up when pushed hard with the Shuttle set up as a combo, It quite likes the lows which is why I guess a few EUB players like them but maybe Im putting in too phat a signal? I dont know but it can handle a low B real nice maybe just not at the same time as producing the mids/highs even with a tweeter, Thats not a critiscism of the Genz 1x12 just 1x12's in general, Wrong tool for the job in my case today but with 10 mins to setup and possibly carry for miles on my own with my bass and bag meant it was a winner, Crowd were sh*te anyway! :)