Why become a member? ×

Bob Dylan

ped

Just been listening to 'Slow Train Coming' by Bob Dylan feat. Mark Knopfler and I really like it, pretty funky and tight. Any other similar albums? Tracks like 'Serve Somebody' are right up my street.

Cheers
ped

He did some surprisingly good albums in the 80's, often overlooked as they didn't really fit the image that he's nurtured in the previous decades (both musically and spiritually). Infidels is good for sure, I also love 'Oh Mercy' and 'Street Legal' (although the latter's actually 70's and more trad Bob). The little bass fill on the track Most of the Time from Oh Mercy is to my ears perfect. There's a great account of the recording of Oh Mercy in one of the Chronicles series, recalling an interesting dynamic, from the POV of both his approach to writing to the recording itself.

We're doing "Serve Somebody" along with a lot of Dylan stuff. Just don't listen to (oh, alright, go on then for a laugh) Desolation Row - got to be the worst harmonica solo EVER (and that's saying something from someone who listens to Paul Jones' Radio 2 show)!!

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1340971' date='Aug 15 2011, 06:35 PM']Just don't listen to (oh, alright, go on then for a laugh) Desolation Row - got to be the worst harmonica solo EVER[/quote]
And therein lies the magic. Some of the timing and tuning on his early work - and even into the 70's - is appalling in technical terms, but still strrangely magical :)

Edited by Beedster