Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN

Cosmo Valdemar

Dude, that's a shocker, really feel for you as I know how happy you were with that bass, and it seems that on the evidence of a few people here, Ric really have got their act together with the recent models. The VTC is a massive asset also, I have it in my fretless but not on my fretted (a RI), and it bugs the hell out of me!

Hope things work out and you find a way of keeping it.

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='1334828' date='Aug 10 2011, 12:15 PM']Ric really have got their act together with the recent models. The VTC is a massive asset also, I have it in my fretless but not on my fretted (a RI), and it bugs the hell out of me![/quote]

I second this very strongly! The new Rics are truly excellent, not a single issue on my 2011 4003 - whereas in the not-too-distant past you would have been encountering some issue somewhere on the bass, from what ive heard. The V/T circuit is a "nice to have" as well - I dont have it on my 4001 as it didnt exist then, and I would have used it clanking out some Purple riffage back in the day!

[quote name='Stag' post='1335000' date='Aug 10 2011, 01:44 PM']The V/T circuit is a "nice to have" as well - I dont have it on my 4001 as it didnt exist then, and I would have used it clanking out some Purple riffage back in the day![/quote]

It should be called the Glover switch. I usually have my Line 6 on the Marshall Superbass setting, and it sounds fantastically like the old Purple sound - all that's missing is the big speaker fart whenever I hit the open E. :)
Stag and Beedster, I think you're convincing me that I'll regret getting rid of this.

For now, WITHDRAWN.
Coming soon, in the BC For Sale section, loads of effects pedals and an Orange combo amp! :)

Good man, whilst I can totally understand selling a two month old bass because it either disappointed or because for whatever reason you don't get on with it (I sold a 3 week old Ball Family Reserve Stingray that I imported new and at great expense from the US as I didn't get on with it at all), a bass that ticks all the boxes is one to keep.

Re tone circuitry, I thinking of buying a VTC for my 4001 c64, it's the only thing that I could do to improve it. Please don't tell anyone on RicResource :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1335045' date='Aug 10 2011, 02:15 PM']Re tone circuitry, I thinking of buying a VTC for my 4001 c64, it's the only thing that I could do to improve it. Please don't tell anyone on RicResource :)[/quote]

Does that have a horseshoe pickup? I always assumed they had the tone cap as they are generally considered the holy grail of Rick tone. Does it sound like a standard 4003 then?

I spent a bit of time snooping around the bass forum on the official rickenbacker site - they don't take too kindly to Fender talk! Unless you're being critical of course. It was a scary place to be.

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' post='1335252' date='Aug 10 2011, 04:31 PM']Does that have a horseshoe pickup? I always assumed they had the tone cap as they are generally considered the holy grail of Rick tone. Does it sound like a standard 4003 then?

I spent a bit of time snooping around the bass forum on the official rickenbacker site - they don't take too kindly to Fender talk! Unless you're being critical of course. It was a scary place to be.[/quote]

Yes, horseshoe at the bridge and toaster at the neck. Lovely tone. I'm likely to mod it though, I'd really like to have the pull/push vintage tone option on the C64, as both soloed and mixed with the neck PUP this provides so many options. I'd like the stereo O/P also as there's no point having an unused Strategy 400 channel sitting around twiddling its thumbs.

Yes, careful mentioning the F word on both EB and Ric forums :)

Might be with you in the next couple of days....as my (similar condition to yours) 4003 hasn't moved I've made the mistake of playing it (always knew I was a closet Jam fan) and if I can find a way of stopping the neck moving horizontal on a strap then it may have to stay for a while.

Not really played a 4003 before (had a few fumbles on 4001s occassionally) but I'm fairly impressed with the 2011 build quality. Just got to sell the concept of using a Ric over a 70s type Fender in the upcoming Motown/Soul band project.....

[quote name='martthebass' post='1367609' date='Sep 9 2011, 01:31 PM']Might be with you in the next couple of days....as my (similar condition to yours) 4003 hasn't moved I've made the mistake of playing it (always knew I was a closet Jam fan) and if I can find a way of stopping the neck moving horizontal on a strap then it may have to stay for a while.

Not really played a 4003 before (had a few fumbles on 4001s occassionally) but I'm fairly impressed with the 2011 build quality. Just got to sell the concept of using a Ric over a 70s type Fender in the upcoming Motown/Soul band project.....[/quote]

If Flea picked up a Ric - which given some of his recent equipment choices is a distinct possibility - everyone would be playing them now :)

Know what you mean re a Ric in the Motown setting, but I doubt the audience will mind?

Edited by Beedster

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...