Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR range.

Kes

[quote name='Kes' post='1333067' date='Aug 9 2011, 12:52 AM']I've only played these basses on my knee in the shops. while i love them all the lightness of the ash body got me thinking.
especially as i'm looking for a 5 string (coming from playing a 4) what is the neckdive like on these or for that matter other 5 stringers?[/quote]

Absolutely none on my 505 - I just position it where I want it to be and it stays there. :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1333070' date='Aug 9 2011, 12:56 AM']Absolutely none on my 505 - I just position it where I want it to be and it stays there. :)[/quote]

you've no idea how much i enjoyed reading this sentence... concerns came from the sheer lightness of the ash body on the 605 (and the fact that the 500 - as there wasn't a 505 to hand - wasn't really on the heavy side either... )

[quote name='dc2009' post='1331851' date='Aug 8 2011, 11:19 AM']Correct me if I'm wrong but Paul Grey played a warwick thumb for a great deal more time than he was on ibanezes?[/quote]

Sorry - by the time I'd started paying attention to his gear, he was on Ibanez.

I think I was curious as to the differences between his Ibanez and the signature model - I'm assuming he wasn't using the stock signature; I see it was a custom shop model.

[quote name='Kes' post='1330544' date='Aug 7 2011, 12:12 AM']Hey all,

I've been playing bass for around 5 years now (a couple of cover and originals bands) and my current bass (Ibanez GSR200) is about 4-5 years old...

i've been playing around with lots of different basses recently trying to find a nice upgrade...

The things i'm looking towards atm is a 5string (due to playing bits of light metal and rocky stuff and wanting to play around with a 5 string for a change)

and looking at the SR range - i just have 2 questions about it....

1. the body type seems to be the only difference in the range... ash/mahogany etc. is there much difference aside from that? (any preferences)

2. while I can afford the ~£500 price tag i'm also looking around for 2nd hand ones. which as they're older wouldn't have the new mid range frequency select switch. Would i be missing much? is it worth buying new at all if i shop around (mostly on here) for a well looked after one.

Thanks for any replies constructive or trolling...

Kes.[/quote]

For that price range you can find used SR's high models. If you want a new bass I would suggest you to look at ATKs as you cannot go for brand new high end SRs. They are very versatile and suits most of the styles. I own an ATK and used to have SR (not high end though). I would say the neck of SRs are great (probably the best and easiest to play for my little hands). However, having comparing the versatility, the ATK is way better than the SR (again, for me). It would be great to have SR's neck on ATK :)

I also suggest you to check second hand warwicks on the form. You can find a good one in your price range.

Good Luck,
G

as somone who has just picked up a SR705, 1 year old for 300quid I would say go for it,
Restrung with a set of DR Black Beauty's (6 string set for 27quid off american ebay) and it looks the awsome (and then some) and well within your budget! you could even upgrade the preamp / pickups and still come in under!
[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/20110809180052.jpg/"][/url]

Edited by Houtoe

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought i'd say (10 day bump due to being stuck in work)

I spent a 9 hr round trip to go and pick up an old style K5 from our own Stan_da_man, and my god, i couldn't be happier right now.

i've sent it in to my local music shop for a quick checkup and getting a nice shiny new hardcase so i'm not lugging it round in my tattered old ritter case.

Thanks all, and Kes is a happy little bassist right now (and slighly drunk after work)

life is good.

I recently played an old Ibanez 5-er in the Gallery. Wenge neck, looked like a walnut-esque body (paduak?); for some reason it doesn't appear to be on their website. Thought it was blinding (except for the forearm contour which as some will know I don't get on with). Without the forearm contour I'd have been trying to work out ways to get it; loved the tone and playability. I've always liked Ibby SRs. Comfortable, quick to play, versatile IMO. YMMV of course.

[quote name='4000' post='1346568' date='Aug 20 2011, 05:59 PM']Have to say I'd love to try the newer SR1200/1205 and SR5000E/5005E but I never seem to see them anywhere.[/quote]

Yep.
I have my eye on the SR5005E but my chances of finding a local store carrying a £2K bass are slimmer than the neck... :)

Edited by icastle

[quote name='markstuk' post='1346532' date='Aug 20 2011, 05:27 PM']Has anyone played any of the new SRT's (800 and 805)... ?

[url="http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/Series-srt"]http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/Series-srt[/url][/quote]

Similar to the BTB series as far as i remember. only played one for about 2 miniutes in PMT salford, so may not be the most reliable opinion...

• 1 month later...

Going to put-in my 2 cents....

I have an all maple SR1005 and just purchased and am waiting for delivery of a mahogany/walnut one. The string-spacing on these may be noted as 16.5mm by Ibanez, but in reality it's about 16.75mm....I've measured mine! It's basically the same as my Wal 5s and my Zon TJ5. The neck dimensions are a bit more plump than the newer SR1405/1205/4005/5005/505/705 crowd. Similar to the newer 805s. Depth at 1st fret I believe is 21mm as compared to 19.5mm for the aforementioned crowd of models. These have no neck-dive. Are wonderfully balanced. I drilled a new hole and moved my lower strap-button 2" up so as to have a greater and more ergonomic wearing-angle and the 1005 hangs just like my Wals and Zon.....it's lighter though! The Barts sound great and the older Powercurve works well and certainly sufficiently. If you don't like it, there are numerous choices of other preamps for a reasonable amount of money (less than $200). These basses are well made. The construction is on a par with much more expensive basses. This is why I am buying another! Great to have such quality for so little money. Nice to have a good sounding/playing instrument that I don't have to worry about so much as I have too with the ones that cost $5000+. FYI, my first 1005 cost me $700 and this second was $575. Both used and both in excellent condition.

Best of luck.

I've got an original SR05 from 1987 (the "Minty Green" one). Love it dearly but the pickups have recently gone horribly microphonic. The original Pups have a Battery Wire coming out of them and are labelled "Regulated LoZ", so wouldn't be compatible with modern retrofit preamps. To do what I'd like to do (put some Barts in with a decent Pre Amp) would set me back around £300. As I've just got an Overwater Contemporary J5 (Tanglewood) then it's gone on the back burner (Or rather, in the loft, especially as I have other projects to finish first). Although the Soundgear range has gone through a lot of different styles and fashions over the years, the modern ones appear to have gone back to the beginning for inspiration. Imagine though the Body of a SR300 say, with the Neck of a SR500 (with the Scallop) but with a fairly hefty bridge. As AndroWal says above, the Construction is superb. Extremely solid, beautifully scuptured - and the electronics, even in a cheap one, can be easily replaced with better if you don't like them!

I've also got an Ibanez CT V string (that has sensible (EMG Select) pickups and Overwater 2 Band EQ) and a SR400FL (Fretless 4 String - Passive J/P) which is lovely. The neck on the CT is wider and flatter, but the body on the SR400FL and the CT are almost identical - both date from around 1994. The SR400FL on the whole is very different to the SR05.

Edited by NeilMorrell

I've had an SR505 for almost 10 years now.
Other instruments have come and gone but the 505 is still my 'go to' instrument - even beating my Fender JB into second place.
It's battered and bruised, it's had so much use that the neck is now glossy instead of satin and some of the body finish is marked from years of arm and hand wear.

If I won the lottery tomorrow I'd replace it.... with another one. :)

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1317217899' post='1388232']
Does Ibanez make any fretless models in the SR range? I tried an SR a while back and liked it but it wouldn't make financial sense to have to have it converted to fretless.
[/quote]

I don't think they do actually - I've never seen them advertised or in shops and I can't see them mentioned on their website. :)

They have, in the past. As I mentioned previously, I have a 1994 SR400FL. This has an Plain Board with side dots and dates from around 1994.

Then, just a few years ago, an almost identical bass appeared as the SR300DXF - it had the same J/P configuration as mine (Ibanex DXP and DXJ Pickups - rather than the modern soapbars) but as far as I know was only available in Candy Apple Red. This had a board that looked like it had been impregnated with something (Phenol?) and was lined. I think they were using up old stock. Here's one still for sale [url="http://fuzzguitars.co.uk/shop/guitars/bass-guitars/ibanez/ibanez-sr300dxf.html"]http://fuzzguitars.c...z-sr300dxf.html[/url]

There is a 300F now that seems to be more in keeping with the modern range [url="http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR300F"]http://www.ibanez.co...rs/model-SR300F[/url]
but it doesn't appear available in the UK.

There are even some 5 Strings allegedly, but never seen one.

Here's mine!

• 1 month later...