Why become a member? ×

Amp Stands

rOB

Hey all.

I use an amp stand like [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Guitar-Amplifier-Stand/8GP"]this[/url] to lift and angle my small rig for small gigs. As transport is becoming an issue for me I'd like to try something a bit more portable.

Has anyone (or anyone's guitarist) had any experience with anything like [url="http://www.giggear.co.uk/p/Ultimate-Guitar-Amp-Stand/"]this[/url]?

The blurb says it holds 34kg, what do you reckon?

Edited by rOB

[quote name='chris_b' post='1329464' date='Aug 6 2011, 01:12 AM']Borrow a beer crate.[/quote]

Mmm a classic solution but unfortunately a beer crate won't help with the tilting which is very useful on little stages.

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1329484' date='Aug 6 2011, 01:33 AM']Been pondering this myself.
Been using a 115 and a 410 and the height is great,but now I`m using the 410 HLF on it`s own it`s too low.
So what do I use to get it up to chest height?[/quote]

Hmm thats a tricky one. Thats a big cabinet to lift on a stand of any sort.

I've wondered about those stands. While I can understand that it's good to get a small cab/combo above stage level, is it such a good thing to tilt it upwards? Would be fine of the player but not so good for the audience. Or are we also assuming a line into the PA - in which case it's really only acting as a stage monitor?

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1329744' date='Aug 6 2011, 11:38 AM']I've wondered about those stands. While I can understand that it's good to get a small cab/combo above stage level, is it such a good thing to tilt it upwards? Would be fine of the player but not so good for the audience. Or are we also assuming a line into the PA - in which case it's really only acting as a stage monitor?[/quote]

I use my amp to create the sound and as a monitor. I'm always put through the pa aswell.
It is a monitor but if you have an amp that colours the sound and that sound is put through the pa then its a bit more than just monitoring.

I use one of these

[attachment=86442:amp_stand.jpg]

It's sturdy, will easily take the weight of a 1x12 combo and very stable. I think it'd struggle with a 4x10 though :)

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1329484' date='Aug 6 2011, 01:33 AM']Been pondering this myself.
Been using a 115 and a 410 and the height is great,but now I`m using the 410 HLF on it`s own it`s too low.
So what do I use to get it up to chest height?[/quote]

Some kind of wedge would be suited for this. Depends what stages it's on.

On a tiny stage I couldn't use anything but a wedge.
A wedge is most of the time a better solution than raising the cab up and you don't lose the floor reinforcement coupling effect thing.

I think for bigger cabs the only solution would be a flight case and acoustic compensator (bit of wood) to tilt it back a bit.
I do this for someone else who uses an Ampeg 810 on a 2x10 combo case laid flat, and a 3x1 bit of black gaffa`d wood.
Trick then is to make sure the case isn`t that large but can fit ALL your sh*t in, like amp, cables, pedals,power etc.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1330366' date='Aug 6 2011, 09:26 PM']Yep, that makes sense to me. So, such stands are only really useful in conjunction with a full PA.[/quote]

That's the way I use them.

[quote name='wrinkleygit' post='1330383' date='Aug 6 2011, 09:49 PM']Hello,looked at one of those stands a while ago, nothing more than a flimsy modified guitar stand I certainly wouldn't trust it with anything remotely valuable,have you thought about making up some tilt back legs like they used to fit to the old fender twin guitar amps, mike b.[/quote]

Thanks very much for the first hand experience. Mmm ok, thats a shame, would really hate for my rig to crash to the ground mid gig (or any other time).

I did consider tilt back legs and that would sort the portability issue but I really like the lift as well as the tilt.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1330392' date='Aug 6 2011, 09:59 PM']I use a MarkBass combo and I am after something to tilt my combo up on stage. So far the only stand I like the look of is this,

It is foldable and can take 88lbs.[/quote]

yep that looks good. As above, I think I'd miss the lift but I hope it works for you

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1331600' date='Aug 8 2011, 01:02 AM']Thr first one is what I use. For monitoring it faces up towards me. With no PA support it faces the audience

[/quote]

How does it perform when facing an audience? I've never used a stand in that way and Flyfisher seems to think it would be detrimental to the sound?

Thanks to everyone for their responses and thoughts. Think I might stick with what I've got for the moment then. Might sort out a better trolley to help with the portability.