Why become a member? ×

Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass 60's

acidbass

Just played one of these babies today in my local music store and what a bass for the money! Really great, solid feel to it and the notes sustained for ages - a really well made piece of bass! I'm currently trying to justify buying one in the next while as I think these will become a very sought after bass.

They had it on display for £349 but I'd say I could have bargained and had it for less.

Anyone own one or had experience of them?

Danny

If you really want one Danny, this one is 2nd hand at Coda Music for £199.

[url="http://www.coda-music.com/product_info.php?cPath=170&products_id=10566&oscsid=cd6cc79b6ed5f9bf069a660535b7fe26"]http://www.coda-music.com/product_info.php...69a660535b7fe26[/url]

Am sure they`d ship to you.

They are fantastic basses!

I recently a/b-ed a CV Jazz, a RW Jazz and a Custom shop Jazz and, although the RW came out on tops for me, the CV was just behind it. The CS was nowhere near.

The stock pups sounded very close to the RW.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1325904' date='Aug 3 2011, 05:20 PM']If you really want one Danny, this one is 2nd hand at Coda Music for £199.

[url="http://www.coda-music.com/product_info.php?cPath=170&products_id=10566&oscsid=cd6cc79b6ed5f9bf069a660535b7fe26"]http://www.coda-music.com/product_info.php...69a660535b7fe26[/url]

Am sure they`d ship to you.[/quote]

Just been in touch with them today and they've agreed to ship it to me tomorrow! :)

[quote name='acidbass' post='1326023' date='Aug 3 2011, 07:17 PM']Just been in touch with them today and they've agreed to ship it to me tomorrow! :)[/quote]

Glad I could be of assistance.

Coda are a great shop (both branches), though I dread to think how much I`ve spent/traded with them over the years.

Til I joined Basschat that is :)

[quote name='Moos3h' post='1326801' date='Aug 4 2011, 12:40 PM']I played that one in Coda :) VERY nice matey, very nice. I'd recommend some new strings on it though - the ones they (all) come with didn't do much for me at all and had intonation problems, probably just old.[/quote]

Cool! I'm thinking a set of Status Half Rounds (45-105) to give it a nice thud - my workhorse Jazz Bass has a combination of DR Sunbeams with Wizard 84's (sparkle city!) so it should be a good alternative. To be honest, the stock pickups sounded great to my ears so I don't think I'll be swapping them out (yet!)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1327009' date='Aug 4 2011, 02:20 PM']Ive got Wizards in mine and they make a nice improvement IMO. I had 84's but now have 74's and the bass sounds nice and warm, round and punches through the mix very nicely.[/quote]

I guess they're somewhere between 84's and 64's? To be honest, the 84's are a little bit too aggressive at times for some of the stuff I play. How do the 74's compare in your experience Dave?

[quote name='acidbass' post='1327014' date='Aug 4 2011, 02:22 PM']I guess they're somewhere between 84's and 64's? To be honest, the 84's are a little bit too aggressive at times for some of the stuff I play. How do the 74's compare in your experience Dave?[/quote]

Your right, they were a bit too aggressive in the low mids for me. The 74's are a bit more open, a bit more up top but still with the punch of the 84's.

The Bass is quite warm sounding IMO. Warmer than any other Jazz bass ive owned. I dont really like its tone as much as Jazz basses ive had in the past but i keep it because i have its neck on my CV P, plus its nice having one of each.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1327024' date='Aug 4 2011, 02:29 PM']Your right, they were a bit too aggressive in the low mids for me. The 74's are a bit more open, a bit more up top but still with the punch of the 84's.

The Bass is quite warm sounding IMO. Warmer than any other Jazz bass ive owned. I dont really like its tone as much as Jazz basses ive had in the past but i keep it because i have its neck on my CV P, plus its nice having one of each.[/quote]

Any idea what the 64s would sound like?

[quote name='lanark' post='1327168' date='Aug 4 2011, 03:29 PM']Any idea what the 64s would sound like?[/quote]

No sorry. I do know there are guys on here that have used 64's in a CV Jazz but i wasnt really looking for a vintage tone, more a modern punchy tone so i was put off by the description.

[quote name='acidbass' post='1327472' date='Aug 4 2011, 05:19 PM']I haven't heard 64's in the flesh but they're modelled on the pickups from that era, and so are probably the most mellow sounding of the Wizard offerings.[/quote]

Thats what i thought as well.