Why become a member? ×

Has anyone got a Big Baby?

DirkThrust

[quote name='DirkThrust' post='1322120' date='Jul 31 2011, 01:15 PM']THe Compact seems to be the best seller out of the Barefaced range but we don't hear a lot about the Big Baby.

The idea of the extra punch from that midrange driver appeals to me so I wondered if anyone is using one[/quote]

Yes, infact i use two.
:)

[quote name='DirkThrust' post='1330983' date='Aug 7 2011, 03:19 PM']Isn't one enough? :) Why two Big Babys rather than the BB and the matching sub?[/quote]

Its the sound that i wanted, and i does sound very good indead. Takes a lot of power , but you can't have it always .
:)

[quote name='k50' post='1330957' date='Aug 7 2011, 02:23 PM']....Yes, infact i use two....[/quote]
What gigs do you play?
What music do you play?
What bass do you play?
What gear did you have prior to the Barefaced?
What tone do you mainly use?
Do you mainly use 1 and add the other for larger gigs?
What difference in sound do you get by using 2 as opposed to 1?
Any chance of a review? I'd be very interested.

Cheers

[quote name='chris_b' post='1331848' date='Aug 8 2011, 11:17 AM']What gigs do you play?
What music do you play?
What bass do you play?
What gear did you have prior to the Barefaced?
What tone do you mainly use?
Do you mainly use 1 and add the other for larger gigs?
What difference in sound do you get by using 2 as opposed to 1?
Any chance of a review? I'd be very interested.

Cheers[/quote]

OK,

Functions , weddings and bigger pubs, rock/pop covers.Nothing special,just your usual weekend band.

Several Overwater 5 strings , Jazz's, progress 35's and 36's .

I still have my Bergantinos ht+hx112er, mark bass f1 & LM11.
Also eden head with eden 410 xst.

Tone , very clean, exteme Hi-fI with a lot of top end. I appreciate this set up is not to everyones taste!
Always use the two cabs, if read Alex's spec on the Big baby he clearly states that these cab's have low sensitivity,hence you do need loads of power to drive them.
If you wanted one cab to play a jazz or cafe gig you'd be fine. Alex would advise you on requirements , but one of these is only equivelent to a 1x12.

Using the head with the Eden 410 would produce a stupid amount of volume, but you would not have the clarity.
The Berg's are very good speakers and louder,however, the bigbabies produce a much cleaner sound.

Yes, they fill the room with the same tone exactly as Alex claims.The bottom end is extemely clean and does not drop off , the 36" basses sound fantastic, possibly a bit too much !

They are ridiculously light , wouldn't like to drop one in case it shattered. Pro's and con's .

I have knocked off a couple of the rubber feet whist moving them in and out of the van , but they screw on ok.

Overall i'm very happy with them.

[quote name='DirkThrust' post='1332418' date='Aug 8 2011, 05:23 PM']Hmmm.. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. In light of this and what Alex says I'd probably be better off looking at the S12 or Compact[/quote]

Get in touch with Alex at Barefaced, he will be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

It's a common assumption that the midrange driver on the Big Baby will make it 'punchier' than the Compact. In reality the Big Baby actually sounds much wider and bigger, going deeper and higher and being smoother and cleaner throughout its range - more like a big hi-fi speaker than a bass cab. For those that like the Compact but want yet more punch (and handily greater voltage sensitivity and power handling) the Super Twelve is the cab to get.

• 5 months later...

I've got one, too and I have to say that it's fabulous.

I can make mine sound however I want, from the clean, bright, clear Hi-Fi tones described above, to classic, vintage, old-school, lush, juicy, warm tube-tones (and everything in between).

I don't find mine to need any more power than any other cab I've owned and it plays much, much louder.

It's astonishing with a Sansamp BDD fed into the front of a Littlemark and equally good with a Streamliner and no effects: you can jack the bass and low-mids right up on both heads in a way that's simply impossible with my Berg NV 412 and the little cab takes it all in it's stride. I play loud and the 300W of the LM (or 500 of the ST) is more than enough grunt to blow-off your knackers at 25% volume.

I have to disagree strongly with the notion that it's only as loud as a 1x12: it's worlds apart and considerably louder.

I can't fault it; I really can't. In fact, I'm going to buy a second.

Edited by REDLAWMAN

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Dormant thread reboot.

Looking over the Barefaced website, It looks like the Big Baby is 3 dB more efficient than my Acme B2 and a good chunk lighter. Not tuned quite so low but tuned lower than any other bass cabinet I've seen save for the Acme. Slightly different dimensions. Very very interesting! If it sounds similar and has the expected depth in the low end then it's basically equivalent to having 2 x B2's. Wow! If Alex is reading, I'd love knowing how this sounds against the old B2's he used to play through.

I have wondered if it's possible to ask Alex for customisations to cabs...I quite like plastic stacking corners and carpet covering. Somehow I'd prefer a simpler logo too...I know Alex has felt unfairly treated over the issue of cosmetics but I must admit I prefer the look of my Series II Acme or the Vanderkley 112MNT. Though Alex's cabs clearly have great drivers and are excellently designed.

Edited by funkle

I played my Thunderfunk through a BB at the SE Bass Bash and it sounded great.

When I hear the description hi-fi I expect the sound to be rather clinical and I didn't hear that at all. The sound was full and clear with plenty of bass and a nice balanced sound through all frequencies.

This was at pretty low volumes but what I heard made me want one.