Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Superfly problem...

Stan_da_man

I recently purchased a Ashdown Superfly bass head. As soon as I turned it on, the head starts emitting a high frequency pitch which is very noticeable, especially at low levels. I tried new leads, basses, speaker connecters and different ohm settings but the noise still remained. When the head is not plugged into anything and turned on it emits no noise, but as soon as its plugged into a cabinet the high pitched noise starts again.

Any ideas?

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='151925' date='Mar 5 2008, 06:30 PM']I recently purchased a Ashdown Superfly bass head. As soon as I turned it on, the head starts emitting a high frequency pitch which is very noticeable, especially at low levels. I tried new leads, basses, speaker connecters and different ohm settings but the noise still remained. When the head is not plugged into anything and turned on it emits no noise, but as soon as its plugged into a cabinet the high pitched noise starts again.

Any ideas?[/quote]

Oh dear - another one. If you use the search function you'll find several threads about the faulty power boards on these amps.

There's no quick fix, as there are no replacement boards - just take it back and get a full refund.

Hamster

Sounds like a silly question but which output jacks are you using, i have a friend who had one and didnt realise the speakon sockets were combined speakon/jack and was running out of the line out into his cab, this called all sorts of issues, since using right outputs hes been fine though

[quote name='phatbass787' post='152169' date='Mar 6 2008, 08:14 AM']Sounds like a silly question but which output jacks are you using, i have a friend who had one and didnt realise the speakon sockets were combined speakon/jack and was running out of the line out into his cab, this called all sorts of issues, since using right outputs hes been fine though[/quote]
I am using the speakon connections.

Machines - the guy on eBay said he couldn't refund me but said I could swap it for another Superfly or a different similar priced head...which are all Ashdown's!

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='152290' date='Mar 6 2008, 11:56 AM']I am using the speakon connections.

Machines - the guy on eBay said he couldn't refund me but said I could swap it for another Superfly or a different similar priced head...which are all Ashdown's![/quote]
How about an ABM head? IMHO they ain't at all bad. :) EDIT Jolly good in fact.

Edited by johnnylager

It's unlikely another Superfly head will be without the same problem. I presume this was a private sale then - and not a physical shop that sells on ebay? How about making a complaint through ebay about being sold defective goods?

Hamster

Indeed. It doesn't work properly, so you should be entitled to a full refund. He is just trying it on with you, so as not to be out of pocket. It sounds like the tea double you ay tea knew what he was selling, so go for your money back and if he won't co operate, then start to play dirty.

Edited by steve-soar

[quote name='tauzero' post='152334' date='Mar 6 2008, 12:57 PM']Um, why? My Superfly head hasn't got that problem.[/quote]

+1 I know a few guys who've got superflys and none of them have had any issues, in fact they love them and gig them regularly. May be worth e mailing Ashdown direct? Theres an ask a question bit on their website.

[quote name='Machines' post='152296' date='Mar 6 2008, 12:01 PM']What other options did they give you ? I assume it'll be a MAG300..[/quote]
MAG 300H, MAG 600H, Marshall MB450H or possibly ABM EVO 300.

I will dispute the item.

Edited by Stan_da_man

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='152326' date='Mar 6 2008, 12:47 PM']I have one that has no issue, so a swap for another may well be the solution.[/quote]im the same on that ive had got no problem with mine!!

Edited by stratty

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='152523' date='Mar 6 2008, 05:28 PM']MAG 300H, MAG 600H, Marshall MB450H or possibly ABM EVO 300.

I will dispute the item.[/quote]

Go for the ABM ! Of course I am not biased in any shape or form.

[quote name='Machines' post='152554' date='Mar 6 2008, 06:06 PM']Go for the ABM ! Of course I am not biased in any shape or form.[/quote]
This is the thing - I bought the Superfly because it didn't sound like an Ashdown. The ABM sounds like a true Ashdown and that puts me off a bit; I'll have to test one out...

And how do I know this Ashdown won't break?

And anyone have experience of the MAG 600?

Edited by Stan_da_man

The power board problem arose with the last batch of Superfly heads - if yours was bought some time ago, or was NOS you're lucky. I bought one from Soundcontrol when they were knocking them out for £199. It was faulty so I took it back and tried the other 13 Superfly heads they had in stock - they were all defective.

It's really noticible when you roll back on the lows and boost the treble. Turn off your tweeters and roll off the highs and you might not notice it.

The other Ashdown MAG / ABM heads are also known for the QC problems with the mains transformer burning out, (which also happened with my ABM head.) I won't be buying Ashdown again.

Hamster

[quote name='Hamster' post='152574' date='Mar 6 2008, 06:22 PM']The other Ashdown MAG / ABM heads are also known for the QC problems with the mains transformer burning out, (which also happened with my ABM head.) I won't be buying Ashdown again.[/quote]

Those were some of the early PRC ones, the newer ones (post 06) should be ok.

If you can get the ABM 300, I'd get it. I use one and I like it, but then I know it's not to everyones taste. The MAGs are nice too, I used the 300 and I got a lot of positive feedback about the sound. I quite fancy getting one of the MAG 600 heads and making a new sleeve for it out of something a bit more substantial and covering it in some nice vinyl.