Why become a member? ×

Fender Am. Std. or Am. Spl. (both Precision)

gsgbass

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1315335' date='Jul 25 2011, 03:50 AM']I'm quite partial to the American Deluxe with the dual coil thingy at the bridge. It's a Precision, Jazz, and a Ray all in one![/quote]

I`ve no experience of the Deluxe, and to me, part of the beauty of the Precision is it`s simplicity. However, as chrismuzz`s post above, that is a hellova versatile Precision, so I`d say check each out, decide whether the Standard Precision tone is enough, or do you want the versatility of the Deluxe.

Then, try as many of each that you can - somewhere, there will be one that works with you better than the others, when you find it, get it, your hands will know!

For me, the American Standard feels like a 'proper' USA Fender, where the American Special feels like a Mexican Fender. An absolutely exquisite example of a Mexican Fender, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't feel like the American Standard and, for me personally, isn't worth the price that most shops are asking. If it was £200 cheaper, I'd have already got the red/maple one as I think it looks fantastic, but I'm not paying £800 for it when I know that a £450 Mexican Standard and a paint job would achieve the same result. Just my opinion, of course :)

I have an American Deluxe (as seen on the left).

It's a very versatile and powerful instrument. I can't think of anything negative to say about it really, it's all good.

Having said that my only issue would be the lack of a passive/active switch. Although it has never happened, I have a fear of battery failure mid gig.

Nothing wrong with the standard models though, mostly these days I gig my bitsa 58, which is passive of course.

To put it simply, an American Special is the same as a Mex, just made in a USA factory.

On another note, looking at the Standard versus the Deluxe, the Deluxe is only an extra £200 but the extra stuff you get as part of the bass definitely makes it worth it. A Standard is THE Precision, but the Deluxe is that and so much more.

I didn't like the American Special i played, not a fan of the greese bucket circuit, it's just a treble control and i like the tone being a tone control when i roll it off with more woof and bass but if you like just the treble to change then you'll love it, the neck is also really good, i prefered that over the American Standard though i think they are now the same? (The Standards are being changed is what i told but i'm not sure!)

I decided to stay with a Jazz. It sounded more to my liking playing through a two speaker version of my four speaker amp. I did go with an Am. Std. Jazz, instead of the Std. (MIM), or Am. Spl. Jazzes. The other two didn't sound that bad, but I think i made the right choice for me anyway. It just feels right.
Thanks for the all the input, I like other views.

[attachment=85674:0425a_1_1.jpg]

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1316531' date='Jul 25 2011, 10:02 PM']Good call! The Jazz has always been my favourite of Leo's creations :)[/quote]

Thanks CM. I have to agree with you. Seems like every time I try to make a Precision fit my hand, I'm back to the Jazz. And, I just like the Jazz sound.

[quote name='fjbass' post='1316528' date='Jul 26 2011, 02:38 AM']I decided to stay with a Jazz. It sounded more to my liking playing through a two speaker version of my four speaker amp. I did go with an Am. Std. Jazz, instead of the Std. (MIM), or Am. Spl. Jazzes. The other two didn't sound that bad, but I think i made the right choice for me anyway. It just feels right.
Thanks for the all the input, I like other views.

[attachment=85674:0425a_1_1.jpg][/quote]

Lovely bass. I had one briefly last year, my first ever sunburst, and once it had a black PG on it was the nicest looking bass ive ever owned.
I would love to get another but the price is too high these days.

Thank you Dave. I like the feel of this particular Jazz. The action on the neck just feels right to me. The prices are crazy, but the store manager cut about $100. buckaroos off the price. It was also just hung on the wall when I got there. The kids hadn't got to it yet. A set of my Nylon strings, I'm set to go.