Why become a member? ×

Which pedal pre-amp?

barneyg42

Probably an often asked question and I've done some searches and I'm none the wiser. Biggest problem seems to be that most shops don't have much on the shelf so I can't test drive before I buy so I'm reluctant to press the buy button on the interweb and risk £100+ and find I don't like. I predominantly play an old Status S1 5-string, playing classic rock so just need a good punchy sound, I only use overdrive on one song and have a pedal to cover that, although a pre-amp pedal with an overdrive button would cover this. I will be running into a power amp and a 1x15/2x10 set up. So, the contenders? MXR M80 vs Sansamp seems to be the obvious showdown and I've read good and bad about both. Any other ideas out there, or indeed further opinions about these two?

Edited by barneyg42

[quote name='Sparky Mark' post='1313435' date='Jul 23 2011, 12:47 AM']As well as the Sansamp BDDI, you should also consider the Tech 21 VT Bass pedal. It's great for classic Ampeg blues and rock tones.[/quote]

+1 to this - the VT pedal is really cool & the Deluxe version with foot switchable options is even cooler!

[url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/accessories/sansamp-bass-driver-deluxe-preamp/"]http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/ac...-deluxe-preamp/[/url]

Now that Phil has moved south he's probably not that far away if you want to try the various Sansamp Tech 21 pedals :)

Its also worth trying the Behringer BD121. Virtually a copy of the Sansamp BDDI, but for approx £30. Yes, the Sansamp is better build quality, and it does sound a bit better, but not 6 times better, as that`s how much more it costs. In my opinion, it`s max 10 % better.

I had both, and sold the Sansamp, as the Behringer did, for me, exactly the same job.