Why become a member? ×

Copper Shielding

lobematt

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1310963' date='Jul 20 2011, 10:56 PM']What, one bass :lol:

I er don't understand....... :)[/quote]

Having frequented this forum for a while now, I don't think I understand it myself anymore. :)

Perhaps I should think about getting a J-bass as well, though judging from all the bass GASsing on here it would likely be the start of a very slippery slope!

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1310962' date='Jul 20 2011, 10:54 PM']Seriously, it's hilarious what so called guitar experts try and fob the punters off with. Ask him to build you a Faraday cage out of wood the next time you go to him... although having read that I suggest giving him a wide birth.[/quote]
:)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1310946' date='Jul 20 2011, 10:41 PM']I done one of mine a while back Def helped but I reckon the wiring in this house is shot which isn't helping.[/quote]

Seriously, if your house wiring is causing problems with your bass maybe you should get it checked before it causes problems with your health?

And if the electrician says "Nah, you don't need insulation, the plaster shields it anyway", get another electrcian :)

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1311176' date='Jul 21 2011, 09:20 AM']Having frequented this forum for a while now, I don't think I understand it myself anymore. :)

Perhaps I should think about getting a J-bass as well, though judging from all the bass GASsing on here it would likely be the start of a very slippery slope![/quote]

Yep :)

I have sold all but three guitars!

I now have four basses and three bass amps!

I was a guitarist until a year ago!

GAS is now a major concern to me........

I think you can over do it. One bass I had came with copper tape everywhere, including the back of the pickups, and earthing wire from all the pots and the tape on the pickups to the tape in the cavity. It was a mess, made doing anything very difficult, and the bass sounded sh*te. I took all the added wires out and much of the tape, and it was better. There were other problems as well, like one of the pickups being wired backwards, but the pickups were humbuckers anyway, so why all that stuff was put in was beyond me.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1312627' date='Jul 22 2011, 12:32 PM']I think you can over do it. One bass I had came with copper tape everywhere, including the back of the pickups, and earthing wire from all the pots and the tape on the pickups to the tape in the cavity. It was a mess, made doing anything very difficult, and the bass sounded sh*te. I took all the added wires out and much of the tape, and it was better. There were other problems as well, like one of the pickups being wired backwards, but the pickups were humbuckers anyway, so why all that stuff was put in was beyond me.[/quote]
If it's done wrong you can certainly muck up the overall capacitance of the bass which will do horrid things to the sound. But done correctly and with attention to detail there's no reason not to shield out the entire bass.

I'm sure I've posted these before but here are a couple of mine....

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1312726' date='Jul 22 2011, 01:53 PM']If it's done wrong you can certainly muck up the overall capacitance of the bass which will do horrid things to the sound. But done correctly and with attention to detail there's no reason not to shield out the entire bass.

I'm sure I've posted these before but here are a couple of mine....[/quote]

That's a lovely job, but you're an artist. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1312726' date='Jul 22 2011, 01:53 PM']If it's done wrong you can certainly muck up the overall capacitance of the bass which will do horrid things to the sound. But done correctly and with attention to detail there's no reason not to shield out the entire bass.

[/quote]

Just curious as to why you didn't do the sides of the control cavity in the top photo?

[/quote]

In that pic I can see the little bits sticking out for the bridge, that's one part I've never quite understood though. Do you have to have a piece of copper from a cavity with electronics in it to the bridge or just one at the bridge? Sorry it's quite hard to explain because I've got no idea what I'm talking about!

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1315957' date='Jul 25 2011, 05:08 PM']Just curious as to why you didn't do the sides of the control cavity in the top photo?[/quote]
I'd run out of foil when I took the pic. :)

Also this was project based around the G&L L-1000 internals which only has a copper plate in the control cavity. As seen here... :)

[quote name='lobematt' post='1315963' date='Jul 25 2011, 05:14 PM']In that pic I can see the little bits sticking out for the bridge, that's one part I've never quite understood though. Do you have to have a piece of copper from a cavity with electronics in it to the bridge or just one at the bridge? Sorry it's quite hard to explain because I've got no idea what I'm talking about![/quote]
That bass has an earthed wire running from the control cavity to underneath the bridge as most basses do. I put the copper tab under the bridge there to increase surface area contact between the wire and the bridge, that's all. The tab coming up from the control cavity is actually part of the shielding in there and comes into contact with the control plate itself - which itself is already earthed at different point but my builds all have belt and braces back up features built in. :)

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1310922' date='Jul 20 2011, 10:25 PM']A regular question this. Garden centre 'slug tape' does need soldering between the joins. If you buy proper and inexpensive sheilding tape with conductive adhesive you save yourself a load of hassle. Anything advertised as EMI sheilding tape is great. Or f*&k it, tin foil does the job and any spare can be used for wrapping up old sausages. You don't need to sheild pickup cavities. Make sure the tape creeps over the top of the cav slightly in order to complete the circuit across the access cover.[/quote]

When I shielded my telecaster I used el cheapo slug tape and didn't need to solder the joins. Worked a treat.