Why become a member? ×

Copper Shielding

lobematt

I wanna shield my basses but this is my first little venture in this neck of the woods so I've got a few questions...

Will I need to shield everything to make a difference? (The pickup cavities, back of pick guard and electronics cavity?)

And also how far would a 20 x 30cm sheet get me? Baring in mind this is my first attempt so may not be the neatest job in the world!

[quote name='lobematt' post='1310580' date='Jul 20 2011, 05:32 PM']Haha, nice one mate. Did you have good results?[/quote]

Very good and well worth the effort.

It got rid of any hum or noise.

Just ensure you solder a wire from a pot can (or socket body) to the copper.

Job done :)

[quote name='lobematt' post='1310562' date='Jul 20 2011, 05:17 PM']And also how far would a 20 x 30cm sheet get me? Baring in mind this is my first attempt so may not be the neatest job in the world![/quote]
You can get a 4m x 25mm roll of anti-slug s/a copper tape in a garden centre for a fiver?

I've often read about people doing this. I can understand how it works and I assume people have had good reason to go to the trouble they do, so I'm not having a go, but . . .

1. I've never had any noise problems with my bog-standard MIJ Fender Precision

2. Most manufacturers don't shield their basses (I believe)

. . . which implies, to me, that it shouldn't be necessary.

So, when there's a noise problem, and I know there sometimes is, should we be looking elsewhere for the cause rather than reach for the copper tape?

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1310830' date='Jul 20 2011, 09:06 PM']I've often read about people doing this. I can understand how it works and I assume people have had good reason to go to the trouble they do, so I'm not having a go, but . . .

1. I've never had any noise problems with my bog-standard MIJ Fender Precision

2. Most manufacturers don't shield their basses (I believe)

. . . which implies, to me, that it shouldn't be necessary.

So, when there's a noise problem, and I know there sometimes is, should we be looking elsewhere for the cause rather than reach for the copper tape?[/quote]
1. a P bass has a humbucking pickup therefore shouldn't hum... if it does then there is something seriously wrong (if the fault is with the bass) and shielding wont help.

2. most manufactures don't (for economical reasons - ok you may get a wee bit of aluminium foil under your p/g)... but the good ones do. They may use shielding paint, a copper plate or copper foil - the latter is usually done by custom luthiers.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1310841' date='Jul 20 2011, 09:18 PM']1. a P bass has a humbucking pickup therefore shouldn't hum... if it does then there is something seriously wrong (if the fault is with the bass) and shielding wont help.[/quote]

I'm slightly embarassed to admit I didn't know that, though I feel I should have - so thanks for that.

But it begs the question: why not use such an arrangement in all basses so that shielding isn't necessary?

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1310867' date='Jul 20 2011, 09:39 PM']I'm slightly embarassed to admit I didn't know that, though I feel I should have - so thanks for that.

But it begs the question: why not use such an arrangement in all basses so that shielding isn't necessary?[/quote]
Because some folk prefer the sound of single coils to 'buckers. Simples. :)

The reason I did it was because the neck pickup was a single coil and the bridge, although a humbucker, could be split.

It cured the 'slight' hum when messing with the push / pull pots and splitting the coils etc.

Probably could have lived with it but I did a lot of recording with the guitar and it came through.

A regular question this. Garden centre 'slug tape' does need soldering between the joins. If you buy proper and inexpensive sheilding tape with conductive adhesive you save yourself a load of hassle. Anything advertised as EMI sheilding tape is great. Or f*&k it, tin foil does the job and any spare can be used for wrapping up old sausages. You don't need to sheild pickup cavities. Make sure the tape creeps over the top of the cav slightly in order to complete the circuit across the access cover.

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1310912' date='Jul 20 2011, 10:16 PM']The reason I did it was because the neck pickup was a single coil and the bridge, although a humbucker, could be split....[/quote]
Every bass I build or put out is shielded regardless of pup configuration. It's just my belt and braces approach for one less thing to go wrong. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1310874' date='Jul 20 2011, 09:43 PM']Because some folk prefer the sound of single coils to 'buckers. Simples. :)[/quote]

Interesting. Is there that much difference? (You might guess that I only own one bass, sad though that may be).

[quote name='Johnston' post='1310946' date='Jul 20 2011, 10:41 PM']I done one of mine a while back Def helped but I reckon the wiring in this house is shot which isn't helping.

I got it from Ebay. Cheap stuff but must have conductive adhesive. Was well chuffed when I didn't need to solder the join. If I could be arsed I would do the rest. But I'm lazy :) :)

Oddly though I had the "Pro" set up and repair guy at a shop tell me it does nothing. the wood shields it anyway.[/quote]
No it don't.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1310946' date='Jul 20 2011, 10:41 PM']...Oddly though I had the "Pro" set up and repair guy at a shop tell me it does nothing. the wood shields it anyway.[/quote]
Seriously, it's hilarious what so called guitar experts try and fob the punters off with. Ask him to build you a Faraday cage out of wood the next time you go to him... although having read that I suggest giving him a wide birth.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1310953' date='Jul 20 2011, 10:47 PM']Interesting. Is there that much difference? (You might guess that I only own one bass, sad though that may be).[/quote]
Absolutely there is.
The simplest example = listen to a single coil P and then a split coil P. It's like chalk and cheese. And if you want to go into it more, there are numerous threads on the difference between P's and J's. :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1310965' date='Jul 20 2011, 10:58 PM']Well same guy that told me flats were like playing suspension bridge cables and the same shop that said "Are you sure you don't mean coated, look the coating makes them almost flat"

So I take their "Advice" with a pinch of salt. I have heard though a local forum his set ups can leave a lot to be desired too.[/quote]
Yep, time to find a new tech.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1311014' date='Jul 20 2011, 11:40 PM']Ah but what about the Lindy Fralin Split single. Or GAFs split jazz thingy :lol: :)[/quote]
What about them? They sound like split coils (P pups) but are in a straight line... and you can do phase invertion should you like. :)

Good on you for doing your own tech. Guys like that really get my goat.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1311014' date='Jul 20 2011, 11:40 PM']Used to scare the sh*t out of my band mates when a couple of days before a big gig I would mention I was going to re wire the bass though :)[/quote]

Mine get fidgity if I do as much as change the strings.