Why become a member? ×

The Cure - Friday I'm In Love

KevB

Sorry if this has come up before. Anyone played along to this? Does it sound out of tune to you? It's in a set of stuff I'm doing for a new project. I thought my bass was out of tune but checked and it was fine. Had one of those 'Jumpin Jack Flash' moments when you play along with the original and it doesn't seem to be quite in proper key but not an entire semitone out either. Maybe they were still messing about with tape speeds even in the 80's....

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' post='1310129' date='Jul 20 2011, 11:29 AM']Sorry if this has come up before. Anyone played along to this? Does it sound out of tune to you? It's in a set of stuff I'm doing for a new project. I thought my bass was out of tune but checked and it was fine. Had one of those 'Jumpin Jack Flash' moments when you play along with the original and it doesn't seem to be quite in proper key but not an entire semitone out either. Maybe they were still messing about with tape speeds even in the 80's....[/quote]
80s? 1992, my friend! :)

And yes, it's a vari-speed cockup. From [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_I%27m_in_Love"]Wikipedia[/url]:

[quote]The song was written to be a slower number than its upbeat final rendition. While the track was recorded in D major, the commercially released version sounds halfway between D major and E-flat major, a semitone higher, due to Robert Smith forgetting to turn off the vari-speed on the tape after toying with it before recording.[/quote]

[quote name='KevB' post='1310165' date='Jul 20 2011, 11:50 AM']Cheers for the info, must use wiki more often. Well it *sounds* like it belongs in the 80's :)[/quote]
Haha! It certainly doesn't fit well with the rest of the album ([i]Wish[/i]). I love that album though. I think it was the first album I ever bought.

[quote name='KevB' post='1310129' date='Jul 20 2011, 11:29 AM']Sorry if this has come up before. Anyone played along to this? Does it sound out of tune to you? It's in a set of stuff I'm doing for a new project. I thought my bass was out of tune but checked and it was fine. Had one of those 'Jumpin Jack Flash' moments when you play along with the original and it doesn't seem to be quite in proper key but not an entire semitone out either. Maybe they were still messing about with tape speeds even in the 80's....[/quote]

Away yes, I remember! The joys of learning songs from cassette tape - which made songs appear out of tune if the player was a bit fast or slow!

Infact, there's a substantial amount of material originally mastered from tape to CD that is off pitch. I'll have to listen to it again, but I'm pretty sure the original recording of Another Ones Bites The Dust by Queen is sharp towards F.

yup it,s a semitone out.Thats an old studio trick in the days of tape.George Martin used it with the Beatles on a track I can,t remember the title of-first verse chorus was done in key and the rest of the song was recorded a semitone out and speeded up to pitch and change the whole vibe of the tune.You have to be very accurate in the studio so it remains the same tempo through to the end.
Oh the days before computers.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1310182' date='Jul 20 2011, 12:08 PM']Haha! It certainly doesn't fit well with the rest of the album ([i]Wish[/i]). I love that album though. I think it was the first album I ever bought.[/quote]

End and from the edge of the deep blue sea are my favourites from that album!

A semi tonal discrepancy.. I like this! Wait for the chorus.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UWtcSvtiQw&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UWtcSvtiQw...be_gdata_player[/url]

Interestingly, some people I've played this to, just didn't 'get' it.

Xanadu by Rush is a quarter tone sharp, apparently sped up as they were running out of room on the record. Lukily, due to the tape speed, when I recorded it from CD to casette, it came out in pitch. I also had a record player which played a semitone fast - very useful for learning VH and GnR songs!

[quote name='dood' post='1310636' date='Jul 20 2011, 06:17 PM']A semi tonal discrepancy.. I like this! Wait for the chorus.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UWtcSvtiQw&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UWtcSvtiQw...be_gdata_player[/url]

Interestingly, some people I've played this to, just didn't 'get' it.[/quote]

Love it! Tim Minchin FTW!