Why become a member? ×

Corvette $$

Phaedrus

Spent all last week at home enjoying sinusitis and an upper respiratory tract infection (AKA a sore throat).

Dug out some old Bass Guitar Magazines and came accross an ad featuring a black Warwick Corvette $$.

I've never been bothered with Warwick before, but this bass just looks gorgeous in that ad. The Corvette is the only Warwick shape I like - Thumbs, Streamers & Infinitys all do little for me.

I've never played one (or any Warwick), but the pedigree is there, there's some serious tone controls and it's surprisingly "affordable" at €1300 or so from the Germans.

As it happens, I've ordered a Peavey Tour 450 head and TVX410 cab from my local dealer, so I'm not really looking to buy, but it's on my radar for the future. I'm trading "my" TNT150BW against the amp/cab. We submitted our tax return for 2004 - 2006 and got a cheque back and Mrs Phaedrus is kindly allowing me a few bob.

Anyone got or tried a Corvette $$?

Mark

[quote name='Pikefloyd' post='150294' date='Mar 3 2008, 01:05 PM']Yes, I have one, couldn't be happier, no GAS for almost a year now![/quote]

+1. I've had one for just over a year, and its a fantastic bass. I've got a US Jazz, CIJ Precision, and until recently had a Stingray. IMO the $$ is better than any of them.

Both humbuckers can be independently run in series, parallel, or as single coils. It also has a passive/active option. In terms of versatility it really is second to none - I can get everything from a Precision sound through to more modern (typically Warwick) sounds.

Build quality is excellent as well.

One word of warning - the neck is typical Warwick, and as such does divide opinion. I love it, but you do need to play one to check it suits you.

Tried both the NT and BO versions today at a shop in Belfast, Mark! It might be worth a trip up if you can spare the time? Both played extremely well and sounded great! The NT was truly beautiful but a bit on the expensive side though.

Bought one from Coda in Stevenage last week, Swamp Ash 4 Strong Bolt On.. by far the nicest bass I've ever owned, hugely versatile with a great neck, nothing I don't like about it, definitely worth the extra money over the standard.

• 2 weeks later...

Warwicks dont really do it for me (something about the necks...), but i tried a $$ 5 string and some of the tones that thing threw out were shattering. one of the best sounding B strings (going through a BIG trace rig) ive ever heard (others being my own axe and the H/H bongo). if you find them playable and you see one going secondhand, go for it. im interested in trying a 6 string $$ just to see whats what.