Why become a member? ×

Who is endorsing who?

LLOYDWT

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1303037' date='Jul 13 2011, 11:42 PM']Because you're saying that endorsements are a way for distributors to cut out the middle man and flog their gear without making a loss, rather than for the benefit of the artist.

That's rubbish, I explained why in my post if you read the whole thing.

Maybe there are some agreements out there that fit your idea of an endorsement, but there's plenty that don't.[/quote]

No, I'm saying there are plenty of bass players using the endorsement thing when in actual fact they have a trade account, no support etc

[quote name='Jase' post='1302952' date='Jul 13 2011, 10:19 PM']Who endorses Warwick here?[/quote]In the mid 80s after a show I was approached by Warwick (fairly unknown in those days) and given 2 basses. I asked, "What's the catch? I'm not used to being given stuff!"
I was told, "No catch, If you like them you'll play them, If you don't then you won't" And that's how it was. All they wanted was a photo to use in mags and promo stuff.
Guess that makes/made me an endorser. :)

Coincidentally, we've renewed contact in the last few weeks. They've done an excellent job in reworking those very same basses. :)

I don't understand the "Who holds the power" question...power doesn't come in to it.

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='SteveK' post='1303052' date='Jul 13 2011, 11:53 PM']In the mid 80s after a show I was approached by Warwick (fairly unknown in those days) and given 2 basses. I asked, "What's the catch? I'm not used to being given stuff!"
I was told, "No catch, If you like them you'll play them, If you don't then you won't" And that's how it was. All they wanted was a photo to use in mags and promo stuff.
Guess that makes/made me an endorser. :)

Coincidentally, we've renewed contact in the last few weeks. They've done an excellent job in reworking those very same basses. :)

I don't understand the "Who holds the power" question...power doesn't come in to it.[/quote]

Cool! Who were you playing bass for at the time?

[quote name='Jase' post='1303041' date='Jul 13 2011, 11:45 PM']No, I'm saying there are plenty of bass players using the endorsement thing when in actual fact they have a trade account, no support etc[/quote]

A lot of companies will call the trade thing an endorsement though, bare that in mind.

I've checked my contracts and much like ThomBassmonkey I can't discuss the goings on, however I think most companies will give a form of support where they can when they say you use their gear and vice versa. Wouldn't look good on them if they didn't.

And again I agree with Thom, power doesn't come into it. Two way street, no power, free flow! :)

GK only puts major artists on their artists list and polar don't have an artists list on their website. I don't see the problem with that, both seem fair to me. If you look on the SJC website, you'll see our drummer's picture with a bit of info, does that make his endorsement more valid than mine somehow?

Why does an endorsement have to be anything more than discount? I agree that it SHOULD include support for the artist, but if they're happy accepting just discounts, then fine, good on them for achieving an endorsement.

The reason that they call it an endorsement and not a trade account is because a trade account is for trading, it's fairly obvious. There are some people that give the impression that they're endorsed by the way their signature's written and they should probably think about their wording if they're not in an agreement with the relevant people, but if they are endorsed, then that's what it is.

[quote name='TomKent' post='1303057' date='Jul 13 2011, 11:59 PM']A lot of companies will call the trade thing an endorsement though, bare that in mind.

I've checked my contracts and much like ThomBassmonkey I can't discuss the goings on, however I think most companies will give a form of support where they can when they say you use their gear and vice versa. Wouldn't look good on them if they didn't.

And again I agree with Thom, power doesn't come into it. Two way street, no power, free flow! :)[/quote]

I understand you wouldn't openly discuss your prices but can you rely on the companies listed below in your sig to give you exposure or publicity as an artist, could you arrange gear support should yours fail mid tour? Those sort of things are surely cool to discuss as it would put the company in good light. You know, EBS bailed me out this week, great guys! Or, do they big you up? Do companies equal the amount of advertising that the artist always seem to be doing for them?

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1303060' date='Jul 14 2011, 12:04 AM']If you look on the SJC website, you'll see our drummer's picture with a bit of info, does that make his endorsement more valid than mine somehow?[/quote]

Yes, he's getting some support from SJC.

[quote name='Jase' post='1303067' date='Jul 14 2011, 12:12 AM']I understand you wouldn't openly discuss your prices but can you rely on the companies listed below in your sig to give you exposure or publicity as an artist, could you arrange gear support should yours fail mid tour? Those sort of things are surely cool to discuss as it would put the company in good light. You know, EBS bailed me out this week, great guys! Or, do they big you up? Do companies equal the amount of advertising that the artist always seem to be doing for them?[/quote]

Where they can I'm fairly confident they would try. If I rung up any of them and said I'd had a failure I have no doubt they'd get something out to me as soon as physically possible.

EBS are great guys, met most of the main company in Frankfurt and it was like a big family. :) I think they'd big me up where appropriate, otherwise it'd be a bit wasted.

[quote name='TomKent' post='1303079' date='Jul 14 2011, 12:17 AM']Where they can I'm fairly confident they would try. If I rung up any of them and said I'd had a failure I have no doubt they'd get something out to me as soon as physically possible.

EBS are great guys, met most of the main company in Frankfurt and it was like a big family. :) I think they'd big me up where appropriate, otherwise it'd be a bit wasted.[/quote]

Thanks Tom, I appreciate you answering :)

[quote name='Jase' post='1303078' date='Jul 14 2011, 12:17 AM']Yes, he's getting some support from SJC.[/quote]

I'd feel more confident relying on Polar if there was a problem than SJC. Having our name on the website is one small thing, I'd much rather have the willing support of the company than our name up there. I know that Polar would do their best to sort any problems for me ASAP and he actually personally drove from brighton to derby to meet me and the band, take some photos, listen to a bit of our rehearsal and do an interview over a pint. I'll take that over a picture of me on the website thanks.

I don't know what your opinions are based on, but you're welcome to them. Just careful with your assumptions as, while they may apply to some, they certainly don't apply to all.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1303099' date='Jul 14 2011, 12:41 AM']I'd feel more confident relying on Polar if there was a problem than SJC. Having our name on the website is one small thing, I'd much rather have the willing support of the company than our name up there. I know that Polar would do their best to sort any problems for me ASAP and he actually personally drove from brighton to derby to meet me and the band, take some photos, listen to a bit of our rehearsal and do an interview over a pint. I'll take that over a picture of me on the website thanks.

I don't know what your opinions are based on, but you're welcome to them. Just careful with your assumptions as, while they may apply to some, they certainly don't apply to all.[/quote]

Awesome, you're a winner then :)

I still reckon Warwick base things on tv/media exposure though

Even if they didn't offer me the extra help that they do, the fact that I get my favourite gear at discounted rates would make me a winner anyway. :) as you can see in my sig, it's something I've clearly taken advantage of. :)

Most companies probably look at media exposure. Financially it doesn't make sense to invest in acts that aren't known. Investing in well known acts can help boost your reputation. My band gigs a lot so a lot of people get to see my amp in action, I've had enough people ask me about my amp after gigs to know that I'm doing them some good.

It all comes down to opinion on what people want. IMO the two sides should support each other as much as possible. If both sides are happy with the minimum effort from the other party, the so be it as long as everyone's happy with it.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1303115' date='Jul 14 2011, 01:07 AM']Even if they didn't offer me the extra help that they do, the fact that I get my favourite gear at discounted rates would make me a winner anyway. :lol: as you can see in my sig, it's something I've clearly taken advantage of. :)

Most companies probably look at media exposure. Financially it doesn't make sense to invest in acts that aren't known. Investing in well known acts can help boost your reputation. My band gigs a lot so a lot of people get to see my amp in action, I've had enough people ask me about my amp after gigs to know that I'm doing them some good.

It all comes down to opinion on what people want. IMO the two sides should support each other as much as possible. If both sides are happy with the minimum effort from the other party, the so be it as long as everyone's happy with it.[/quote]

All good then, I'm glad we're friends now :)

[quote name='dc2009' post='1301964' date='Jul 13 2011, 09:32 AM']This is where sites like harmony-central (and our very own BC though the reviews section could do with being more active) come into their own.[/quote]

Seriously? Harmony Central reviews are the biggest load of gutter trash out there. Full of kids proclaiming that their latest toy is the best thing ever... 10 across the board... or they've done a review on their dads archtop and slated it "because it's sh1t for metal". C'mon, we've all seen them. The problem is, with the internet, everybody is an expert.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1303308' date='Jul 14 2011, 10:50 AM']Seriously? Harmony Central reviews are the biggest load of gutter trash out there. Full of kids proclaiming that their latest toy is the best thing ever... 10 across the board... or they've done a review on their dads archtop and slated it "because it's sh1t for metal". C'mon, we've all seen them. The problem is, with the internet, everybody is an expert.[/quote]
Harumph. I've done a few Harmony Central reviews, and used them to find out about things I was interested in. I tend to discount the illiterate, the wildly enthusiastic, the irrationally negative, and those where the reviewer proudly proclaims his six months of experience, and carefully read the remaining review, which is generally very helpful.

[quote name='tauzero' post='1303355' date='Jul 14 2011, 11:45 AM']Harumph. I've done a few Harmony Central reviews, and used them to find out about things I was interested in. I tend to discount the illiterate, the wildly enthusiastic, the irrationally negative, and those where the reviewer proudly proclaims his six months of experience, and carefully read the remaining review, which is generally very helpful.[/quote]

You found the two or three generally helpful reviews then? :)

(said with tongue firmly in cheek)