Why become a member? ×

Propulsive Flurry vs Defined Chug

cytania

Been reviewing some of our songs tonight and noticed that I've been playing 'I Saw Her Standing There' wrong. I've been spanning the riff over a bar when actually to be McCartney correct I should be playing it twice every bar.

I can just about manage this speed but it struck me that at present I carefully work behind what is a bit of a group thrash. If I double up to Paul's flurry of notes then I may just get carried away and the group sound could degenerate into a furious blur.

Not sure what you'd call this dilemma? Any advice? Less is more? Or more is more?

[quote name='cytania' post='1300374' date='Jul 11 2011, 10:19 PM']Been reviewing some of our songs tonight and noticed that I've been playing 'I Saw Her Standing There' wrong. I've been spanning the riff over a bar when actually to be McCartney correct I should be playing it twice every bar.

I can just about manage this speed but it struck me that at present I carefully work behind what is a bit of a group thrash. If I double up to Paul's flurry of notes then I may just get carried away and the group sound could degenerate into a furious blur.

Not sure what you'd call this dilemma? Any advice? Less is more? Or more is more?[/quote]
Whatever works best!

There are plenty reasons for not playing it exactly like the original:

- your band setup as against the recording
- your band arrangement
- your bass sound as against the original
- your skill level
- the band's skill level

There are very few covers where I play the bassline note for note. I try and get something of the original in my line but then I modifiy it to fit all the points listed above.

Think like an audience member and not like a bassist worried about paying accurate homage to Sir Paul. What would you like to HEAR rather than PLAY?

Cheers

Graham

Thanks Graham, the audience has danced like billy-o every time we've played it.

I'm also thinking our drummer is laying down a far more basic beat than the pitta-patta twist pattern of Ringo's. Also our guitarist had a revelation from the 'Butchering The Beatles' album, so it's quite rocked up, but...

Can't help wanting to get it more Beatlesesque...

[quote name='cytania' post='1300608' date='Jul 12 2011, 08:18 AM']Thinking again, maybe next rehearsal I'll suggest doing it slower with the riff double time, maybe our drummer will pick up on the proper feel and it'll mesh more.[/quote]
Your band's tempo versus the Beatles tempo might well be the issue. If you've upped the tempo then there may not be time for McCartney's line.

The original bass line is 1 figure per bar. It's mostly the standard left hand rock and roll piano part.

These numbers work better when they swing rather than rock. So slower is better, but I wouldn't expect a guitarist to get that!

[quote name='cytania' post='1300608' date='Jul 12 2011, 08:18 AM']Thinking again, maybe next rehearsal I'll suggest doing it slower with the riff double time, maybe our drummer will pick up on the proper feel and it'll mesh more.[/quote]
What's the band cytania? I'm in Nottm too and would like to pop along to a gig some time. Always good to put local faces to names.