Why become a member? ×

Sentimentality.......

TRBboy

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1302221' date='Jul 13 2011, 12:36 PM']What basses does your dilemma concern? Maybe we can swap! :)

Yeah, it's difficult, I am usually a very practical person, and as I can't afford to have loads of basses I'd rather make sure that the few I have are all enjoyable to play and will get played regularly. It will be a sad day if I sell the Jazz though.......[/quote]

Mine's a German corvette $$. I know I should sell it, because it's a far better bass than I am a bass player. The problem is that I love this bass, and am scared I may have regrets. But I know I need to get my priorities straight and sort my finances out. Plus, my Squier p is perfectly good for what I need.

After chatting with a trusted basschatter, I decided to hide it away in it's case for a few months to see if I miss it and feel the need to play it.

Edited by Evil Undead

I used to think a bass was just a tool to do a job, which was just as well I always had to sell to buy.

But then I got my Shuker which I had made to measure (fits perfectly where my arm rests on the body etc) and my Blitz and Iceni are perfect for me in other ways, and I wouldn't be able to replace them for the price I paid for them. So now I'm happily sentimental and as gas free as it's possible to be - without actually being gas free, if you know what I mean :) :)

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1300286' date='Jul 11 2011, 03:48 PM']I've owned my US standard Fender Jazz from new since 1997, and for many years it was my go-to bass (or sometimes my only bass!). We've done lots and lots of very varied gigs and projects together, but unfortunately for quite a while now, I seem to have fallen out of love with it. There's nothing wrong with it, and it sounds great, but it just doesn't feel natural or comfortable in my hands anymore. The purchase of my Sandberg earlier this year has further compounded this because it is effortless to play and is, for me, the most comfortable neck on anything I've ever played.

I'm pretty experienced at doing set-ups, and when I took it to my local luthier recently, he confirmed that there's nothing wrong with the neck and couldn't really improve much on the way i'd set it up.

So, here's my dilemma:

Do I;

A) Keep it for sentimental reasons, even though I probably won't really use it.

:) Sell it and buy something else that I'll get plenty of use out of (possibly a Lakland Skyline 44-01 or save a bit more and get a Sandberg Basic Ken Taylor).

As you may have guessed, I'm useless at making decisions! Help me please![/quote]

Keep it. I sold my Fender (Japan) P-bass and have regretted it ever since. Happy with my current bass, but still.

I think there's a strong chance you might be seeing a very nice lake placid blue jazz for sale on here in the next few days........

Will - you know where I'm coming from dude! Sandberg's are so good, nothing else quite hits the spot!

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1300475' date='Jul 11 2011, 11:39 PM']Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I'm kind of surprised that the bias seems to be toward keeping it at the moment! The trouble is I can't really afford to keep it if it's not earning its keep![/quote]

If its already paid for then its not that you "can't afford to keep it" but more that you've already convinced yourself that you want to sell and buy something different. That's GAS :)
If its not a collectors item and a standard Jazz then you would be able to buy another in future if it takes your fancy.

I've nearly always sold or traded a bass for a new one except my Warwick which was always my dream bass from the moment i first saw them on the market. It became more sentimental when i realized they changed the pick-ups from EMG to MEC and i thought i now have a "classic" version :)
The fact I've had it for 22 yrs i really couldn't or wouldn't want to part with it. It took a lot to buy in 1st instance and was a major achievement in itself just buying one. And because of that i've never thought about selling.

Jazz basses are pretty common these days so pretty easy to pick up 2nd hand.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind.

Good luck
Dave

[quote name='longtimefred' post='1310876' date='Jul 20 2011, 09:46 PM']Well done mate. Lovely looking bass that was, can see why it meant a lot to you. Onwards and upwards eh!! Any sign of a new Sandberg on the horizon then?[/quote]

Hmmmm........

Nothing I want seems to be coming up on here, and my budget is limited to more or less what I got for my Jazz. I could get another Basic new for about that, but do I really need two? :)

I still think I would quite like a Basic Ken Taylor, but unless a used one comes up I can't really justify it as we're in the process of buying our first house, so I don't think splashing an extra £300 - £400 would go down too well!

EDIT: Just seen a blackburst Cali PM going for a reasonable price; recommended Will?

Edited by TRBboy