Why become a member? ×

Do Nuts Wear Down?

cytania

Am I imagining that the black plastic nut (graphite?) on my bass has gotten lower? I think the strings have gotten deeper/looser in their slots over the last few years. It's the one I play 99% of the time.

How can I tell if it's graphtech or just plastic?

[quote name='cytania' post='1298778' date='Jul 10 2011, 09:27 AM']Am I imagining that the black plastic nut (graphite?) on my bass has gotten lower? I think the strings have gotten deeper/looser in their slots over the last few years. It's the one I play 99% of the time.

How can I tell if it's graphtech or just plastic?[/quote]
I can't see a nut wearing down from just the force of the string sitting in the slot on its own. If you maybe tuned up and down aggressively for an hour ever day so the string acted like a file, then maybe, but that's highly unlikely.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1298823' date='Jul 10 2011, 10:47 AM']I can't see a nut wearing down from just the force of the string sitting in the slot on its own. If you maybe tuned up and down aggressively for an hour ever day so the string acted like a file, then maybe, but that's highly unlikely.[/quote]
But wouldn't fretting do the same to a lesser effect? It stretches the string, causing windings to be drawn through the nut, as you release it, it goes back again.
Sure, the impact on the nut is minimal, but over time it might open out the nut slots.
Things that will mitigate against this issue;

Just-a-nut
Flats
Nickels
Coated Strings
Zero frets
Harder Nuts (!); Brass and so on.
And finally... The Pencil graphite trick.

Edit for- And maybe locking nuts?

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

Well... my most played bass, I've had and played for almost 20 years, I filed the nut down so the strings were as low as a zero fret and it's still the original nut with - I would say - entirely unnoticable wear after all this time.

Serious answer now, depending on the plastic, several years under tensile stress may cause compressive creep. The plastic will deform and flow even though the forces (hence stress) are well below the yield stress. So lowering of nut slot is quite possible irrespective of any frictional wear.