Why become a member? ×

Mesa/boogie Strategy 400 stereo - 150watt a side valve amp - £450 obo

umph

Right this is basically a 150watt a side valve power amp made by mesa around 1982(proper vintage now) It sounds great and has had a full service, the valves are all mesa branded 6l6/6ca7 and have quite a bit of life left in them.

i want to keep this as it sounds awesome but i can't due to needing money and not needing more doom potential.

looking for around £450 OBO inc postage in uk

The condition is good cosmetically minus the rack rash which is fairly standard with these.

Edited by umph

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1307220' date='Jul 17 2011, 11:03 PM']Can go direct, but needs a lot of juice for full volume. The VT bass into this has awesome girth.[/quote]

Thanks Mr F. I was thinking of running my VT programmable into this, although SS pre into tube power seems daft (I assume it's not so daft after all?). When you say 'a lot of juice for full volume', do you mean for full output power or for a decent bass tone?

Cheers

C

SS pre into valve power is the true path, SS gives control, which is the point of a preamp, all the good valve stuff for bass is in the power amp.

I meant for the power output, but the inputs might not be a high enough impedance to make the bast of passive pickups, a buffer would sort, but might as well preamp it.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1307800' date='Jul 18 2011, 01:27 PM']SS pre into valve power is the true path, SS gives control, which is the point of a preamp, all the good valve stuff for bass is in the power amp.[/quote]

Don't agree with this, but don't want to trash a FS thread

Go all valve, IMO and this would be one half of getting one very reasonably.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1308236' date='Jul 18 2011, 06:56 PM']It's tempting to get it just so that i can get my sister to pick it up. She would hate that lol.[/quote]
it's not really that heavy at all, it's an easy one hand carry for me.

You need to use a pre with this head, something as simple as a booster would work but obviously a dedicated pre will sound best.

Mmm, I was thinking I might offload my DB659 and Peavey Classic 120 and use the Mesa alone, but I guess my DB659 [i]and[/i] the 400 might be the dream ticket. I wonder how this unit would really compare with the Peavey?

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='1308262' date='Jul 18 2011, 07:14 PM']Mmm, I was thinking I might offload my DB659 and Peavey Classic 120 and use the Mesa alone, but I guess my DB659 [i][i]and[/i][/i] the 400 might be the dream ticket. I wonder how this unit would really compare with the Peavey?[/quote]

While i can't knock the peavey stuff, mesa boogie is of a bit higher quality! When i've used both sides of this before the drummers complained the vibrations where so much he couldn't hit his bass drum.

[quote name='umph' post='1308293' date='Jul 18 2011, 07:31 PM']While i can't knock the peavey stuff, mesa boogie is of a bit higher quality! When i've used both sides of this before the drummers complained the vibrations where so much he couldn't hit his bass drum.[/quote]

Cheers, please excuse my ignorance here. I'm assuming the benefits over the Peavey are that I can....

1. Run a 2x10 from channel 1 and 1x15 from channel 2, giving me control of levels/presence of each cab independently from a common I/P?
2. Run my Ric stereo O/P into the two channels using the above config (treble PUP into C1/2x10, neck PUP into C2/1x15)?
3. Effectively have a spare head on stage and ready to go if one channel goes down mid-gig (I assume that there are no common components)?

Any other benefits over the Peavey (apart from its Mesa-ness)?

C

Edited by Beedster

It sounds good
Independent volume per channel
You can run up to two 8 ohm cabs a side, giving you a total of four cabs if you ever need to shift that much air
12 valves are biased to run colder than most amps so they last longer

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1308328' date='Jul 18 2011, 07:57 PM']It sounds good
You can run up to two 8 ohm cabs a side, giving you a total of four cabs if you ever need to shift that much air
12 valves are biased to run colder than most amps so they last longer[/quote]

And remembering your previous thread Steve, you can use it as the hi-fi amp from hell :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1308359' date='Jul 18 2011, 08:18 PM']People won't be able to see your tone suck from having a peavey badge on your gear.[/quote]

Don't knock the Peavey dude, it punches well above it label and rating!

Will the Boogie go in a normal 4u rack case or will it need more ventilation?

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='1308369' date='Jul 18 2011, 08:24 PM']Don't knock the Peavey dude, it punches well above it label and rating![/quote]

I'm knocking people who hear name badges. I love Peavey stuff, although actually I use none currently.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1308369' date='Jul 18 2011, 08:24 PM']And remembering your previous thread Steve, you can use it as the hi-fi amp from hell :)[/quote]
Absolutely, although not many hifi speakers out there will take 200w a side. :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1308369' date='Jul 18 2011, 08:24 PM']Will the Boogie go in a normal 4u rack case or will it need more ventilation?[/quote]
Yes, the one time I gigged mine it was fine. But its worth checking ventilation anyway or the front face plate can get a little warm.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1308328' date='Jul 18 2011, 07:57 PM']It sounds good
12 valves are biased to run colder than most amps so they last longer[/quote]

you can run 4 8ohm cabs per side, it goes down to 2ohms ;p

They're not biased colder than normal but it does have a fan which prolongs valve life.