Why become a member? ×

Mesa/boogie Strategy 400 stereo - 150watt a side valve amp - £450 obo

umph

[quote name='umph' post='1309772' date='Jul 19 2011, 10:40 PM']sorry not got a rack case for it but i can make sure it'll arrive in one piece![/quote]

Thanks mate, could you confirm I'm correct re the below (especially #3)?

[quote name='Beedster' post='1308318' date='Jul 18 2011, 07:48 PM']Cheers, please excuse my ignorance here. I'm assuming the benefits over the Peavey are that I can....

1. Run a 2x10 from channel 1 and 1x15 from channel 2, giving me control of levels/presence of each cab independently from a common I/P?
2. Run my Ric stereo O/P into the two channels using the above config (treble PUP into C1/2x10, neck PUP into C2/1x15)?
3. Effectively have a spare head on stage and ready to go if one channel goes down mid-gig (I assume that there are no common components)?

Any other benefits over the Peavey (apart from its Mesa-ness)?

C[/quote]

I'd probably need to sell both my Peavey and Laney power amps to justify it, but I'm very keen to give it a go. Coupled with the Aguilar, I'm anticipating something special

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1312014' date='Jul 21 2011, 08:20 PM']Thanks mate, could you confirm I'm correct re the below (especially #3)?

I'd probably need to sell both my Peavey and Laney power amps to justify it, but I'm very keen to give it a go. Coupled with the Aguilar, I'm anticipating something special

C[/quote]

Yeah you can do exactly that. Is the best way to get the full doom potential out of it

Thanks Steve, agreed. I might have missed something in reading the manual and the above, but I think the only thing about this I'm still not clear on is whether it will function as two entirely independent mono amps. That is, if one channel goes down on stage, can I use the other channel irrespective of which part of the first channel has gone down? Am I making sense :)

If the answer is yes, let's do it Umph

C

If the actual channel goes down, then other one is happy, but if the power fuse, or the plug fuse goes, then none of it gets power, so not quite up there with two whole separate amps. I know mine could pop a 3a fuse in the plug on startup, actually, I found why this is that sometimes they go after being fine on previous switch on, it is the position of the wave on the alternating current, 0v and on the way up or down and it eases in over fractions of a second, but if you hit it right on the peak, bam.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1312563' date='Jul 22 2011, 11:52 AM']If the actual channel goes down, then other one is happy, but if the power fuse, or the plug fuse goes, then none of it gets power, so not quite up there with two whole separate amps. I know mine could pop a 3a fuse in the plug on startup, actually, I found why this is that sometimes they go after being fine on previous switch on, it is the position of the wave on the alternating current, 0v and on the way up or down and it eases in over fractions of a second, but if you hit it right on the peak, bam.[/quote]

Ah, so plenty of spare fuses in the gig bag then!

I was a little worried that like some true stereo gear (as opposed to 2 x mono), there might be some common circuitry that, if faulty, takes out both channels.

Thanks Mr F and Steve. Umph, you have a PM

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1313084' date='Jul 22 2011, 06:53 PM']Own up then, who's the b*****d who beat me to it :)[/quote]

Not me, though I did sneak a Mesa Buster all valve head, from here last Sunday!

Edited by Platypus