Why become a member? ×

Slap bass dilemma

grimbeaver

[quote name='lowdown' post='1295963' date='Jul 7 2011, 01:41 PM']Hey Rich - was just trying to work out what you was saying...
Twas a mystery, thats all.... :)

Garry[/quote]

Fair nuff!

On it's own the line you quoted says the opposite of what I meant, with the previous lines it sort of makes sense (if you put your head on one side and squint at it long enough) :)

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1295971' date='Jul 7 2011, 01:48 PM']On it's own the line you quoted says the opposite of what I meant, with the previous lines it sort of makes sense (if you put your head on one side and squint at it long enough) :P[/quote]

:) :) :lol: :D :lol: :D

:lol:

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='grimbeaver' post='1295788' date='Jul 7 2011, 11:22 AM']my strings have shrunk to funk master 30/90s, and I have a seg on my thumb.
Am I going over to the dark side? Will slap take over from my rock style playing? Will all bass players hate me from now on and slag of the slapping?

Help[/quote]

I saw The Doors of the 21st century a few years ago at Wembley arena and on the final song - L.A. Woman - as the band was being introduced, the bass player played the most god-awful slap bass solo I have ever heard in my life. On L.A. WOMAN!! It just killed the gig for me, it had been as ok as it could've been without Jim up to that point. I felt like shoving that nipple-high P-bass right where the sun don't shine. He was totally disrespectful of the material he was playing and made me question the remaining Doors judgment for letting him do that.
This has put me off slapping in public for ever. Just horrible.
I can and do slap at home for fun (no you won't find me on youtube!) and it's great rhythmic practice but Beware! Don't have your bass set up just for slap as you may end up with a too twee tone for fingerstyle or pick playing and that doesn't rock. Get some regular strings on so if you do slap it will only be for a bit and be tasteful!

But that's just me and you ultimately have to enjoy yourself so.... Enjoy whatever it is you love!

Peace.

I would say go for it as well.

Still cant understand why there is so much fuss about playing slap. It is just another possiblity. It really does not matter whether you use pick/finger/thumb or even if you bash your head against strings, as long as there is a groove.

Sometimes even if there is no groove for some and you still like it - you should go for it. Conforming in music isnt the right solution I guess.

M.

[quote name='Ogien' post='1297135' date='Jul 8 2011, 01:02 PM']Still cant understand why there is so much fuss about playing slap.[/quote]

Exactly. What is this "dark side" of which you speak?!?! :)