Why become a member? ×

status electronics ?

ian

Please dont jump on me its just a question .
i was just wondering like many other basses you can change the pre amps, Can this be done with a status kingbass .
For example if you fancy other kinds of tones etc a john east or GB pre amp and so on.
as anyone ever done it in a status many thanks ian

[quote name='Rich' post='148768' date='Feb 29 2008, 08:02 AM']Correct me if I'm wrong, but no preamp in the world is ever gonna get you a Jazz sound out of a Kingbass...[/quote]

Probably... I would reckon butchering a Line6 Bass (ugh) would be the closest...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='148856' date='Feb 29 2008, 10:51 AM']Get a jazz then.[/quote]

No amount of preamp trickery will get the sound of a passive, wooden bass with single-coils out of a graphite necked active bass with soapbars... if you can invent a circuit that does, you'll be a very rich man my friend. :)

[quote name='ian' post='148935' date='Feb 29 2008, 01:40 PM']ok i see all your points,
but you can get a very close jazz sound out of a GB bass. All i wanted to know was do other preamps fit into a status thanks[/quote]

The GBs were born out of a jazz bass so it's hardly surprising. The GB package only works cos the pickups and the preamps are matched up. Have you heard the GB pickups passive? Anyway, you may get lucky and find a cheapish bass with a GB preamp in on the bay but I think the days of Bernie fitting pres to anything have gone. The only pre which he will fit now are the EBS ones - which in themselves are stunning - 4 pots and a switch - bass, treble, pan and volume (switch activates sweepable mid). On a Jazz bass it really is Marcus on steroids... can't really comment on how it would sound like in your Status.

If you are looking for the jazz sound, I would say keep your status as it is and look at getting a jazz. If you want the jazz sound on a budget, keep playing squires until you get a nice player and then pre amp that up... I have a friend with an EBS pre in his Squire... and sound wise, that will take on most £1k basses. It plays really nice also - it had about £70 spent getting the neck right - but for less than £300, he has a jazz which will hold it's own against the competition.

I'm just worried that you are going to take that Status and butcher it to something that it was never designed to be... and you won't be happy because it still isn't a jazz. Still, it's your bass so it's up to you what you do with it. I have played quite a bit with my Lakland and I now love it... I bet all the Lakland purist's will want to kill me... but I bought that bass knowing exactly what I wanted to do to it. With your Status, it sounds like it's a bit of a mystery. Anyway, to answer your question, most preamps will be able to be fitted in there. If you were to get a GB one from somewhere, that would definately require some routing... which I wouldn't recommend on that Status. If you are looking to mod a Status King bass, I would argue you have the wrong bass to begin with. (It's a bit like buying a Marcus bass and converting it to a standard jazz...)

If I was going to offer any advice, it would be search for a Lakland jazz for its 35" scale neck (you want a 5 string right?) - the necks are slender and fast like a GB. The action on mine is now within a gnat's b0llock of the GB and it will give you more than just an approximation of the jazz bass sound.

Hope this helps.

Edited by EBS_freak